• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A Car Below 1.7M

hasanth

Question

Hi all friends

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am going to buy a car (whatever sedan/hatchback) below the budget of 1.7M.

My major concerns are Budget, good look, fuel economy, less maintenance and after sale value.

-Is Diesel or Petrol vehicle better? (Why people prefer petrol vehicles?)

-Which cars will satisfy my requirements?

BR

Sampath Gunasekara,

You have posted your opinion about Chinese vehicles.

Then please explain the reason if china products are in not to the standard.

Still you deal with Chinese machinery by importing and make srilanka to be a dumping ground.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Would you care to redo this bit when you're not drunk? What the heck is all this 10 months and 5 years crap? How the heck do you expect anyone to follow this garbage?

Sure they can. This is the reason given below.

I have no idea what a GVW is, but these things keep coming coz there are plenty of penny wise, pound foolish chaps around to buy them! And there are also people who know they can run them for a few months and sell them along with their problems to some poor sucker who thinks he is getting a bargain lightly used vehicle.

At the rate they are selling these things, the Chinese have enough money to put into R&D and make good vehicles. Maybe there are some in the pipeline. But there is no proof that its in the market yet, and it does NOT pay to be an early adopter on this.

And don't be daft about Chinese computer parts. Even Apple makes their hardware in China, but those products follow different standards.

You can hope you will be alive to see that day, but I will tell you this. Today is not that day.

'Pericles'

Please Don’t accuse I do not type after drinks.

The vehicle was with the importer for 10 months I did not do any attention for brake system for 5 years.

As an Automobile technician I take the entire responsibility of the problems I had on that vehicle.

I added the above sentence it was my mistake not blaming the product.

It is very easy to team up and write against my posts. Do not know who will go before me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

When it comes to whatcar advice, there are three types: Lies, damn lies and Sylvi's advices.

'Crosswind'

A/L is a members forum any member can write his opinion.

I always write my opinion and experience.

it is left for the members to take it or leave it.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'Pericles'

Please Don’t accuse I do not type after drinks.

The vehicle was with the importer for 10 months I did not do any attention for brake system for 5 years.

As an Automobile technician I take the entire responsibility of the problems I had on that vehicle.

I added the above sentence it was my mistake not blaming the product.

It is very easy to team up and write against my posts. Do not know who will go before me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Firstly, you should have taken care to write a coherent answer. SPECIALLY if you're trying to advice people who don't know. If you can't make the effort, don't waste everybody's time.

And I can tell you, the last brand new vehicle we bought didn't require any attention to the brake fluid after 5 years and 40,000kms. And that is Malaysian too. You had something that needed fluid top up and "attention" to the brake system with less that 30,000km? The only thing I would expect to have to change is the brakepads!

And if you, as a so called automobile technician had problems with the vehicle, why do you think some poor chap buying his first vehicle would be able to handle all that? Do you think normal people buying a brand new vehicle expect to check anything other than the brake fluid? And mostly, that will be done for them at the service, not because they putter around looking at the brake fluid on their new vehicle. That WAS the logic behind recommending a brand new vehicle right? Less issues for people who don't know much about the subject?

Secondly, people don't team up against you, they just object to wrong information being presented.

• Like 1

Firstly, you should have taken care to write a coherent answer. SPECIALLY if you're trying to advice people who don't know. If you can't make the effort, don't waste everybody's time.

And I can tell you, the last brand new vehicle we bought didn't require any attention to the brake fluid after 5 years and 40,000kms. And that is Malaysian too. You had something that needed fluid top up and "attention" to the brake system with less that 30,000km? The only thing I would expect to have to change is the brakepads!

And if you, as a so called automobile technician had problems with the vehicle, why do you think some poor chap buying his first vehicle would be able to handle all that? Do you think normal people buying a brand new vehicle expect to check anything other than the brake fluid? And mostly, that will be done for them at the service, not because they putter around looking at the brake fluid on their new vehicle. That WAS the logic behind recommending a brand new vehicle right? Less issues for people who don't know much about the subject?

Secondly, people don't team up against you, they just object to wrong information being presented.

Whatever it is I advice to buy new vehicles to members because it is trouble free running, when I bought my Chinese vehicle it was 1999 technology. Now ten years after china had improved their quality. If Chinese vehicles have failed in the world how can china manufacture more and more vehicles.

I said that Chinese vehicle failed mainly due to my negligence. I sold that vehicle after doing all perfect repairs

What Srilankan average man who do business want a cheap vehicle that is the reason Tata batta became popular with most people although they have less pulling power. Foton for the same cost give a better vehicle with high caring capacity.

Mahindra has come to Srilanka with 3 cylinder vehicle to compete with Tata Batta.

For example almost all buses running long distance are Indian buses even CTB imports Indian buses.

I as an automobile technician do not fear to buy any vehicle as long as it is cheap and serve my requirement.

Please log into the web page under to find out about Chinese vehicle manufacture.

http://www.chinaknowledge.com/Business/CBGdetails.aspx?subchap=3&content=9

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Whatever it is I advice to buy new vehicles to members because it is trouble free running, when I bought my Chinese vehicle it was 1999 technology. Now ten years after china had improved their quality. If Chinese vehicles have failed in the world how can china manufacture more and more vehicles.

I said that Chinese vehicle failed mainly due to my negligence. I sold that vehicle after doing all perfect repairs

What Srilankan average man who do business want a cheap vehicle that is the reason Tata batta became popular with most people although they have less pulling power. Foton for the same cost give a better vehicle with high caring capacity.

Mahindra has come to Srilanka with 3 cylinder vehicle to compete with Tata Batta.

For example almost all buses running long distance are Indian buses even CTB imports Indian buses.

I as an automobile technician do not fear to buy any vehicle as long as it is cheap and serve my requirement.

Please log into the web page under to find out about Chinese vehicle manufacture.

http://www.chinaknow...hap=3&content=9

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Oh my god, could you get any more of a drunken old fool?!?! IN once sentence you ask why chinese vehicle's are getting popular and 2 sentences afterwards you answer the same question.

And if you as an automobile technician dont feat to buy a new vehicle who dont you spend the money you spent on a that indian piece of poop and buy a better Japanese van? In the end you're only a stupid fart who got access to a computer, nothing more.

I was reading this article earlier which reminded me of sylvi.

This maka-bass (just like sylvi) who owned a maruti van (just like syvi's) using his mechanical experience (just like sylvi) decided to modify it by putting a barrel of patrol in the back and using it as the petrol tank. What happened? He went on a trip down south (just like sylvi) and on his way back it broke down and the guy did some slipshot fix (just like sylvi) and started running again.. little while later some electric leakage caused a spark and the barrel of petrol (ahem, i mean petrol tank) blew up! While some of the passengers got out of the van the owner's sister, mother and 2 little daughters burned to death with no-one at that late hour to even help...frankly this was an accident waiting to happen to that stupid f*#k of a mechanic/owner, but sadly it was 4 innocent people who paid the ultimate price.

Reminded me of all the engine parts replacements sylvi did, taking off the fanbelt and wading through water and all that stupid shit...

di7.jpg

di1.jpg

fuu isoaêh ms<sn| mÍlaIK mj;ajk fmd,sishg fï jkúg jd¾;dù we;af;a fuu wkfmalaIs; .skak ßhÿref.a ld¾ñl ±kqu wkqj ;ekQ fmg%,a gexlshla ksid isoaOjQ w;aje/oaola njh'

http://www.gossiplan...-elamodara.html

Edited by Watchman

http://www.chinaknow...hap=3&content=9

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, still the biggest markets for Chinese and Indian vehicles are China and India. Part of the reason this is the case is because of import restrictions that makes imported vehicles very expensive and many of these auto mobile companies are either state owned (particularly in China) or used to be owned by the state or receives state subsidies.

And due to relatively low manufacturing cost they can offer it to the market at a much cheaper cost. It has nothing to do with technological innovation or quality.

They also acquired a lot of good technology for very little from their technology partners which they are now using to improve their processes. Particularly in China the only option overseas motor companies had to enter the market was to partner with a local supplier and build it in China itself as importing the vehicle is too expensive and the Chinese Government did not allow them to independently establish plants them selves. This was to force them to share technology. Some major manufacturers after a while pulled out of the Chinese market because of this. But then Chinese companies employed another approach which to buy the companies themselves and acquire technology for example Volvo.

So the reasons you provide are well, not entirely accurate, and while you may be correct in saying at some point Chinese and Indian vehicles will come to the level of their competitors, that time has not arrived yet. And while we eagerly wait for that, it is up to price concious individuals to become the guinea pigs, and there will always be demand simply because of the cost variance.

But what you probably fail to notice is, due to inflation in both India and China Chinese and Indian goods are also becoming expensive and by the time they reach that standard they will probably cost the same as everybody else :)

• Like 1

Sylvi, still the biggest markets for Chinese and Indian vehicles are China and India. Part of the reason this is the case is because of import restrictions that makes imported vehicles very expensive and many of these auto mobile companies are either state owned (particularly in China) or used to be owned by the state or receives state subsidies.

And due to relatively low manufacturing cost they can offer it to the market at a much cheaper cost. It has nothing to do with technological innovation or quality.

They also acquired a lot of good technology for very little from their technology partners which they are now using to improve their processes. Particularly in China the only option overseas motor companies had to enter the market was to partner with a local supplier and build it in China itself as importing the vehicle is too expensive and the Chinese Government did not allow them to independently establish plants them selves. This was to force them to share technology. Some major manufacturers after a while pulled out of the Chinese market because of this. But then Chinese companies employed another approach which to buy the companies themselves and acquire technology for example Volvo.

So the reasons you provide are well, not entirely accurate, and while you may be correct in saying at some point Chinese and Indian vehicles will come to the level of their competitors, that time has not arrived yet. And while we eagerly wait for that, it is up to price concious individuals to become the guinea pigs, and there will always be demand simply because of the cost variance.

But what you probably fail to notice is, due to inflation in both India and China Chinese and Indian goods are also becoming expensive and by the time they reach that standard they will probably cost the same as everybody else :)

'The Don',

First of all I thank you for your post pin pointing mistakes of mine and writing in an honourable way.

Most annoying thing is few members does post all unwanted posts against me without informing like you that my post has some mistakes. At any time I accept my mistackes.

Well what you write there is some truth; there is some controversy in my posts.

Japan used all European cars and cars made in USA. Before the 2nd world war till 1960s

If you happen to watch the film love in Tokyo you will see all European UK and USA Automobiles on Japan roads.

India and china also will come to high standards with their products in near future.

As you predict their costs will increase with high quality to compete with other manufactures in the world perfectly correct.

For Japan’s development today’s high stranded of industry, USA was responsible helping them to achieve.

Only after 1960 they developed their industries first to hit was the Swiss watch industry then motor cycles followed with automobiles and all other industrial equipment necessary for our living.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

And that is NO reason to buy their inferior products NOW.

'Pericles',

Rich people will go in for high cost Vehicles.

Poor man needs a vehicle low cost and he has to be satisfied with an vehicle what Srilanka vehicle importers offer to them.

Please note Agents give ther responsibility for 50000Kms. by that time owner will cover the cost of the Vehicle.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Rich people will go in for high cost Vehicles.

Poor man needs a vehicle low cost and he has to be satisfied with an vehicle what Srilanka vehicle importers offer to them.

And since you have spoken so boastfully of your wealth so many times, it would seem that logic doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Sampath Gunasekara,

You have posted your opinion about Chinese vehicles.

Then please explain the reason if china products are in not to the standard.

Still you deal with Chinese machinery by importing and make srilanka to be a dumping ground.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr.Sylvi

Did you read my comment properly? Didn’t you notice following sentences and specially the underlined parts.

"But regarding most of the Chinese vehicles I see in Sri Lanka ……."

China produces most of the vehicle brands we see here in Sri Lanka (Pajero…Hiace…Alto…) and they are common on chinese roards.

But remember most important thing. China use “Left hand driving vehicles, LHD” except in Hongkong (Hongkong use Right hand driving vehicles, RHD).

So even Chinese are so strong in vehicle production, they produce very limited amount of models with Right hand driving (RHD). So you don’t get the best Chinese vehicles to Sri Lanka. So what vehicle importers do is bringing the avilable RHD models here which are not best in qualty.

You may dreaming that, one day Chinese vehicles will lead in Sri Lankan vehicle market and I don’t believe that.

Time to time English , Japanese , Indian vehicles are popular in Sri Lanka , why ?????

They all are use Right hand driving vehicles (RHD) and we also can get the best models avilable with them. (That’s why even second hand vehicles of Japnese and English vehicles are running on roads here)

Chinese Vehicles and Chinese Machinery are two different lines. Don’t you feel the difference? (If you think in this funny way, you can easily think Indian buses are dominating in Sri Lanka & Indian cars must be the best) :sport-smiley-004:

Chinese have same machine from superb quality to inferior quality. I import best quality machines with reliable after sales service. Market is open and some people bring inferior quality things from China & spread out here due to low prices. So it is common here that “Chinese goods are in inferior quality”. Real problem is not "China" but the "Quality of the particular item".

Understand the truth please !!!

Sampath Gunasekera

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

And since you have spoken so boastfully of your wealth so many times, it would seem that logic doesn't work. :rolleyes:

'Pericles',

Yes. I was born to my late parents legacy. I have lived a very comfortable life.

You may have a different opinion (it would seem that logic doesn't work)

My way of choosing a vehicle according to my needs, not to show others I drive a expnsive vehicle.

I always like to use a new product and get the knowledge of same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr.Sylvi

Did you read my comment properly? Didn’t you notice following sentences and specially the underlined parts.

"But regarding most of the Chinese vehicles I see in Sri Lanka ……."

China produces most of the vehicle brands we see here in Sri Lanka (Pajero…Hiace…Alto…) and they are common on chinese roards.

But remember most important thing. China use “Left hand driving vehicles, LHD” except in Hongkong (Hongkong use Right hand driving vehicles, RHD).

So even Chinese are so strong in vehicle production, they produce very limited amount of models with Right hand driving (RHD). So you don’t get the best Chinese vehicles to Sri Lanka. So what vehicle importers do is bringing the avilable RHD models here which are not best in qualty.

You may dreaming that, one day Chinese vehicles will lead in Sri Lankan vehicle market and I don’t believe that.

Time to time English , Japanese , Indian vehicles are popular in Sri Lanka , why ?????

They all are use Right hand driving vehicles (RHD) and we also can get the best models avilable with them. (That’s why even second hand vehicles of Japnese and English vehicles are running on roads here)

Chinese Vehicles and Chinese Machinery are two different lines. Don’t you feel the difference? (If you think in this funny way, you can easily think Indian buses are dominating in Sri Lanka & Indian cars must be the best) :sport-smiley-004:

Chinese have same machine from superb quality to inferior quality. I import best quality machines with reliable after sales service. Market is open and some people bring inferior quality things from China & spread out here due to low prices. So it is common here that “Chinese goods are in inferior quality”. Real problem is not "China" but the "Quality of the particular item".

Understand the truth please !!!

Sampath Gunasekera

Mr.Sampath Gunasekera,

I understand what you say. It is your opinion quality of Chinese products.

From China in late 1960s I imported electrical industry switch gear. Due to the cost factor, at that time only UK products for electrical industry. Like UK automobiles, Austin and Morris minor.

I imported 20 Motors of 20 HP complete with main switches and starters for same as a trial order for the Tea industry. As a Tea industry Electrical maintainer I was very active at that time.

These imports were from CRA account of mine. After 40 years motor windings are still untouched. They were made to British standards and certified by Chinese authority..

Ball bearings were changed during the service. Only ten years later Star Delta starters were changed. Due to constant use the contacts were giving trouble. Until I left to USA in 1988 I was importing Chinese switch gear and motors for Electrical heavy industry. I am no more in Heavy electrical industry. Due to automobile service what I do at present.

So I have experience in Chinese products for a long time. Just because my Chinese vehicle failed due to my mistakes I never blame Chinese products.

Blaming Japanese products in 1950s was like now people blame Chinese products.

Thank you for your detail reply, Best wishes for your import carrier.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.