• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A Car Below 1.7M

hasanth

Question

Hi all friends

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am going to buy a car (whatever sedan/hatchback) below the budget of 1.7M.

My major concerns are Budget, good look, fuel economy, less maintenance and after sale value.

-Is Diesel or Petrol vehicle better? (Why people prefer petrol vehicles?)

-Which cars will satisfy my requirements?

BR

You need to first sit down a carefully think what u want to do with the vehicle u buy . Basic a to b car or do u have family, kids etc.. etc..

Then narrow down to a specific category, Sedan, hatchback, station wagon etc.. after that look around the Autolanka ads to see whats out there within your budget. After that u can refer the net for reviews etc of that particular model. You get mostly US/EU reviews and the Sri Lankan perspective can be totally different. For this u can ask for reviews or look up old threads under that specific brand/model.

People prefer petrol her as its less duty + less problems.

BR

I prefer my petrol vehicle because it's oh so effing quiet when compared to my old van. I can listen to orchestral music and hear individual strings being plucked on a cello. On the downside, now I have to take greater care with my flatulence since people can actually hear them as well as smell them.

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 1

Hi all friends

I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am going to buy a car (whatever sedan/hatchback) below the budget of 1.7M.

My major concerns are Budget, good look, fuel economy, less maintenance and after sale value.

BR

Browsing through auto lanka classifieds would give you an idea of prices.

People prefer petrol vehicles because its very difficult to buy a good diesel second hand as they tend to run high miles.

The things you have to consider is how many people will ride in the car regularly, where will you use the car and how many kilometres per day will it travel.

The best brand new option is probably the Perouda Viva Elite (a little over budget but not by much).

Thank you v much for your all replies. Regularly 1 or 2 persons will travel and normally 1500 to 2000 km per month will be traveled. Viva elite is better but I can't wait for 3 to 4 months for that and one of my friend had a viva elite(manual) and when it goes to 80km/h it vibrates highly. Any one experienced that?

According to your advises I went through the Autolanka site and I was able to narrow down my problem as follows. Correct me if I am wrong;.

-Toyota and Nissan are the cars with highest demand in sri lanka.

-Nissan vehicles are comfortable and lower in price but lower fuel economy comparing to same featured Toyota vehicle. (Fuel economy is a big concern for me)

-so I selected Toyota. Out of Toyota cars Vitz, AE110 and AE 111 are the only I found within my budget.

Which one is the best out of those?

Any other options I have?

Any regular problem in these car.

(Sorry for troubling you with long posts)

BR

Thank you v much for your all replies. Regularly 1 or 2 persons will travel and normally 1500 to 2000 km per month will be traveled. Viva elite is better but I can't wait for 3 to 4 months for that and one of my friend had a viva elite(manual) and when it goes to 80km/h it vibrates highly. Any one experienced that?

According to your advises I went through the Autolanka site and I was able to narrow down my problem as follows. Correct me if I am wrong;.

-Toyota and Nissan are the cars with highest demand in sri lanka.

-Nissan vehicles are comfortable and lower in price but lower fuel economy comparing to same featured Toyota vehicle. (Fuel economy is a big concern for me)

-so I selected Toyota. Out of Toyota cars Vitz, AE110 and AE 111 are the only I found within my budget.

Which one is the best out of those?

Any other options I have?

Any regular problem in these car.

(Sorry for troubling you with long posts)

BR

I think that is probably a problem with that specific Viva. I've driven small cars in around 120kmph (legally in motorways if somebody is wondering) and they handle fine though they are more likely to be affected by things like crosswinds.

Also think about the Suzuki Swift and Chevrolet Cruze which are both nice cars.

If fuel economy is your main priority a well maintained AE110 or AE111 would probably suite you best. But remember you can get comparably newer vehicles of other brands and cost of ownership is not only about fuel economy.

you can get the Auto Elite without ABS and Airbags below 1.7m right?

Standard Manual Transmission - Rs.1,547,500 /= with registration

Standard Auto Transmission - Rs.1,647,500/= with registration

Premium Auto Transmiison (ABS+Air Bags) - Rs.1,897,500/= with registration

If you order now you can collect your vehicle end of May/early June 2012

And the Country is entering the motorway age. And we can buy a new car withoutout airbags or without ABS???? Oh, sorry. I understand now, it's OK. we can save a few bucks there on the drive-away price!!!!!

Well I recon, on most used cars the Airbags are probably near end of life as they are only good for about a decade or so, and as for ABS well it will depend heavily on how the system has been maintained.

Don, you're probably right, that decade old cars have deteriorated. Meanwhile, in 2011 it's deemed OK for SL punters to pop into the dealer, plonk down the dough, and drive away in a new car without ABS or airbags - and let's not mention ESS or side curtains here. Smart thinking???? Guess the girls and boys working up on Kynsey Road might have a viewpoint.

Hi all friends

BR

'hasanth',

My advice to you is to go for a new car, do not buy old used cars with odometers adjusted to show they have done fewer than 50000 KMs.

Do not know how they had maintained. If you have cash 1.7M new car cost will be little more. Then go in for a Petrol car.

With a small lease, sometimes you have to be on the waiting list still worth.

I am in the automobile service industry. I come across used cars have lot of problems you have to waste your time in repair shops.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

[/size]

'hasanth',

My advice to you is to go for a new car, do not buy old used cars with odometers adjusted to show they have done fewer than 50000 KMs.

Do not know how they had maintained. If you have cash 1.7M new car cost will be little more. Then go in for a Petrol car.

With a small lease, sometimes you have to be on the waiting list still worth.

I am in the automobile service industry. I come across used cars have lot of problems you have to waste your time in repair shops.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I also agree with Mr.Sylvi Wijesinghe.,

Brand new car (Make does not matter) is better due to follwing reasons.

(1) Every system in your car are totaly new and work properly. (Eg: A/C, Tyres, battery ... all are new)

(2) You get a manufacturer's warrenty (My uncle has a Volvo S40 Diesel, he found some problems within warrenty period and it was a manufacturing fault. Swidish trading replaced a new engine at free of cost)

(3) Any problem comes you have to deal with the agent. No need of wasting your time for seeking spare parts at Panchikawatta.

(4) As you are the first owner , since first day you can use car with proper maintanine and carefully and you are confidence on the true milage of your car.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

I also agree with Mr.Sylvi Wijesinghe.,

Brand new car (Make does not matter) is better due to follwing reasons.

(1) Every system in your car are totaly new and work properly. (Eg: A/C, Tyres, battery ... all are new)

(2) You get a manufacturer's warrenty (My uncle has a Volvo S40 Diesel, he found some problems within warrenty period and it was a manufacturing fault. Swidish trading replaced a new engine at free of cost)

(3) Any problem comes you have to deal with the agent. No need of wasting your time for seeking spare parts at Panchikawatta.

(4) As you are the first owner , since first day you can use car with proper maintanine and carefully and you are confidence on the true milage of your car.

The statement does not apply if the original goods used in a car is of inferior quality. Buy a Maruti or a Chinese car and experience it for yourself :) And you can't compare a Volvo to most brand new cars available in this price bracket.

I do agree with point 4.

The statement does not apply if the original goods used in a car is of inferior quality. Buy a Maruti or a Chinese car and experience it for yourself :) And you can't compare a Volvo to most brand new cars available in this price bracket.

I do agree with point 4.

I am also not sure about Chinese cars.

But about Maruti , it is not good as most Japanese vehicle barands, but Mr.Don I have aready expirinced it. We have Mariti Wagon R at home which is bought brand new and already 50,000km completed without any problem. So I don't like to say Maruti is bad. Within price bracket Maruti also a good option.

Regarding Volvo, I just mention it as an example only.

But about Maruti , it is not good as most Japanese vehicle barands, but Mr.Don I have aready expirinced it. We have Mariti Wagon R at home which is bought brand new and already 50,000km completed without any problem. So I don't like to say Maruti is bad. Within price bracket Maruti also a good option.

'Sampath Gunasekera',

Chinese Vehicles are not bad, you have to maintain them properly. I bought 1st generation Chinese Van and had few problems I rectified all of them and sold same. Now I use Indian Maruti done about 8000 KMs without any problems maintained so far with agents.

Even Indian Tata indigo is good there is a rumor is going on the India had stopped manufacturing Indigo. D*MO confirms they have got a stock can deliver in 20 days. Think of an Indian new car.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Chinese Vehicles are not bad, you have to maintain them properly. I bought 1st generation Chinese Van and had few problems I rectified all of them and sold same.

I'll make this very simple so try to follow it. If you buy a brand new vehicle and it has problems you need to keep rectifying, its NOT A GOOD VEHICLE!

• Like 1

Sampath, you are a lucky man in that case! There are many people I know whose had various niggles with their Maruti's and Tatas and so forth mostly suspension, interior body work and strange engine quirks. Usually when you buy a vehicle brand new you wouldn't expect to do anything other than regular maintenance for the first 100K kms or so or 5-6 years (whichever comes first). As far as I can see this is not the case with many brand new options available in this price bracket (except for Viva and that is because quite a lot of it is from Daihatsu).

• Like 1

I'll make this very simple so try to follow it. If you buy a brand new vehicle and it has problems you need to keep rectifying, its NOT A GOOD VEHICLE!

'Pericles',

I am not trying to argue with you for your comment.

I will give the following facts for the reason for the Chinese vehicle which I had problems.

The Chinese vehicle I bought was the first demonstration Vehicle that importer got down later he imported 125 Vehicles of same and sold all.

First problem was I filled the radiator with well water due to Iron deposits on well water radiator got clogged this was the main problem for heating up of the engine. I replaced the engine head gasket with Suzuki engine gasket with cleaning up of the radiator. After that coolant only.

When I bought the vehicle it was imported 10 months ago I importer had same till he get the new stock, did not change brake oil or any checking up for almost, 5 years. Only top up. Later at 30000 KMs Brake systems gave trouble. I totally neglected of the brake system of that vehicle

As an Automobile technician I take the entire responsibility of the problems I had on that vehicle.

That vehicle was very good road holding with double A/C. I modified the rear suspension for comfort of passenger transport.

I cannot say it was a bad vehicle if I have used coolant there would not have any problem on the engine. Did the brake overhaul in time brakes would not have failed.

Engine was Suzuki 1300 CC engine & gear box build in China with same Japanese technology. Vehicle body was their own design. I have checked up with other uses they say they did not have any problems like what I faced.

There are plenty of Chinese cars commercial vehicles are on our roads. If they are bad Then Chinese vehicle importers cannot exist.

Almost all tools and other materials necessary for industries Computer spares are imported to srilanka are Chinese.

During 1960 we were using UK, USA and European country manufactured vehicles.

No one wanted Japanese vehicles in 1960s .During late 1970 only Srilanka changed to Japanese vehicles. Due to the cost and recon vehicle cost was half of a western country made vehicles.

Again I have gone for a Chinese Forton small truck new due to cost and GVW.

I find Indian & Chinese vehicles also have plenty of negative replies.

One day Chinese and Indian vehicles will dominate in srilanka.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

When I bought the vehicle it was imported 10 months ago I importer had same till he get the new stock, did not change brake oil or any checking up for almost, 5 years. Only top up. Later at 30000 KMs Brake systems gave trouble. I totally neglected of the brake system of that vehicle

Would you care to redo this bit when you're not drunk? What the heck is all this 10 months and 5 years crap? How the heck do you expect anyone to follow this garbage?

There are plenty of Chinese cars commercial vehicles are on our roads. If they are bad Then Chinese vehicle importers cannot exist.

Sure they can. This is the reason given below.

I have no idea what a GVW is, but these things keep coming coz there are plenty of penny wise, pound foolish chaps around to buy them! And there are also people who know they can run them for a few months and sell them along with their problems to some poor sucker who thinks he is getting a bargain lightly used vehicle.

At the rate they are selling these things, the Chinese have enough money to put into R&D and make good vehicles. Maybe there are some in the pipeline. But there is no proof that its in the market yet, and it does NOT pay to be an early adopter on this.

And don't be daft about Chinese computer parts. Even Apple makes their hardware in China, but those products follow different standards.

You can hope you will be alive to see that day, but I will tell you this. Today is not that day.

@sylvi:

Just cos people dont come and you got no business in your "service to the automotive community" it doesnt mean you should waste your time typing loads of crap or misguide people with lies. Maybe you should pay attention to your chickens if you have nothing better to do.

'Pericles',

I am not trying to argue with you for your comment.

I will give the following facts for the reason for the Chinese vehicle which I had problems.

The Chinese vehicle I bought was the first demonstration Vehicle that importer got down later he imported 125 Vehicles of same and sold all.

First problem was I filled the radiator with well water due to Iron deposits on well water radiator got clogged this was the main problem for heating up of the engine. I replaced the engine head gasket with Suzuki engine gasket with cleaning up of the radiator. After that coolant only.

As an Automobile technician I take the entire responsibility of the problems I had on that vehicle.

That vehicle was very good road holding with double A/C. I modified the rear suspension for comfort of passenger transport.

I cannot say it was a bad vehicle if I have used coolant there would not have any problem on the engine. Did the brake overhaul in time brakes would not have failed.

Engine was Suzuki 1300 CC engine & gear box build in China with same Japanese technology. Vehicle body was their own design. I have checked up with other uses they say they did not have any problems like what I faced.

Almost all tools and other materials necessary for industries Computer spares are imported to srilanka are Chinese.

During 1960 we were using UK, USA and European country manufactured vehicles.

No one wanted Japanese vehicles in 1960s .During late 1970 only Srilanka changed to Japanese vehicles. Due to the cost and recon vehicle cost was half of a western country made vehicles.

I find Indian & Chinese vehicles also have plenty of negative replies.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

(By profession I am an import agent for machinery from China. I have been to China and have some experience there. No to boast or telling my personal things here, just to share my experience only.)

Most of Chinese company doing is they make vehicle body and fix some famous brand engines (specially for heavy vehicles).That's why in China you can get same vehicle either with Isuzu engine or Mitsubishi Engine. Unimo imports Nomad Zoyte (Copied version of Dihatsu Terious First generation /Toyota Camy ) with Mitsubishi engine.Still Mariti 800 1st generation also produce by Nomad in China and name as Jianguan Alto , with better function and interior, better look and also comparatively cheaper price.

But regarding most of the Chinese vehicles I see in Sri Lanka , quality I am not satisfied. I checked a Chinese lorry imported by I*d*a Traders and body quality is very poor.

Why while Viva Elites and Maritis selling in hundreds, Cherry QQ sale in Sri Lanka is only 20 units per month?

Getting a vehicle and modifying is an useless point.

Dudes I think we are going away from the topic....

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1