• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise When On The Road - Need Views

Hola

Question

Hi tech experts out there...

Need help, today i drove my sis's 121 Corrolla and i felt its very quiet. Not the engine but the wheels. Becuase when i drive my 2000 EK3 i hear this roaring noise. Last year I fixed a alloy wheel which is a bit out of the wheel base..Could that be it? Also my tyre guy recently comented that the 13" tyre i got best suits Townace etc...

Need advice..

Rgds - Hola

Need help, today i drove my sis's 121 Corrolla and i felt its very quiet. Not the engine but the wheels. Becuase when i drive my 2000 EK3 i hear this roaring noise. Last year I fixed a alloy wheel which is a bit out of the wheel base..Could that be it? Also my tyre guy recently comented that the 13" tyre i got best suits Townace etc...

Need advice..

Rgds - Hola

Give up Hondas and drive Toyotas?

:P:P

Time to duck for cover!! Whoo!! :P:P

Need advice..

Rgds - Hola

You put damaged alloys and van tyres on your car-what do you exepect??

Need advice..

Rgds - Hola

on a serious note can you post a picture of your tire,

If you have Rotational Tires and If you have put them incorrectly your Tire Thread Inside may have got Damaged, This usually gives a Humming Noise.

If not having a Tire Size Bigger Than Recomended - Like Balloon Tires will give this noise.

Hola,

I see an avatar pic under your name which looks to be a white honda with 3-spoke alloys- is this the same car?

As the others have said, if you have damaged alloys or badly worn tires, this will contribute to tire rumble.

Best thing to do is to get to a garage/tire shop and have the car looked at.

also keep note of:

- worn out shocks; they allow more vibration into the body of the car

- offset alloys (what you describe as 'out of wheelbase') can have an adverse effect on the effectiveness of the suspension

- Low profile tires on our bad roads make a lot more noise

- incorrect tire pressure

good luck

Need advice..

Rgds - Hola

Hi there

Like some have said there could be several reasons. Most of the time the noise comes from the type of tread your tyre has. When you mention that the wheels are out of the wheel base, are they all in equal propotion or not. This could also be a factor. Wrongly cambered or toed wheels could also create a some noise.

My advice would be to have the vehicle checked by a reputed tyre shop.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Duncan

TeamAutolanka

Need advice..

Rgds - Hola

Hi Hola,

Like madmax and other have said.. it could be well to do with the tyre …

Well the design such as the V grove – I was told gives a hum noise…. I’ve put them and there is a slight hum….

Then the compound of the tyre – Harder tyre’s will last linger but there could be a noise …. On the other hand the softer ones are more quieter but don’t last very long…. I think it has a lot to do with the Van tyre that U were talking abt.

Good luck

Since am a newbie to the mechanics of these moving monsters... lolz.. just would want some expertise relating to tyres..

Which type of tyres would offer the best economy/handling? What i mean is that there are tyres which straight on grooves and tyres with groves cutting into the centre in the shape of Vs etc.

Plus would a change of tyres having different grooves have a serious impact on handling? or would it be a level which could be felt?

Zz

Guys, pls keep in mind that the original question was raised in January LAST year. Pls do add ur opinions (I like the piece Mazdaspeed has added) but keep in mind that the advise is probably too late for Hola, even tho it can help someone else with a similar problem.

And of course, help anyone with new queries on this, like neXGen :unsure:

Hi Hola,

Like madmax and other have said.. it could be well to do with the tyre …

Well the design such as the V grove – I was told gives a hum noise…. I’ve put them and there is a slight hum….

Then the compound of the tyre – Harder tyre’s will last linger but there could be a noise …. On the other hand the softer ones are more quieter but don’t last very long…. I think it has a lot to do with the Van tyre that U were talking abt.

Good luck

Thanks Mazdaspeed.

For sure my tyres are not meant for cars. Plus my stupid alloys are a bit off the align. In other words the tyres are poping out 2-3cms due to the oval shape the alloys got. I am sure the alloys plus the tyre quality is giving the roaring noise. Thank you for the advice. I will anyway change the tyre soon. I am collecting funds for it. Thought of good 15" 55. Sometimes machang i feel like just replacing it with normal 13" wheels untill my funds are ready when i hear the awful noise. This is mostly noticed when i go in other's cars when their cars are sooooo quiet when running...

Thank you all!!!!

Hi Guys...

well i had the same issue of noise ..... & i changed the tyres to Brigston & it worked... dont go for cheap crap tyres... put a good pair....

Machang, bridgston is very expensive :unsure: i was thinking of a Chinease Yokohama, i am sure the quality must be the same

Since am a newbie to the mechanics of these moving monsters... lolz.. just would want some expertise relating to tyres..

Which type of tyres would offer the best economy/handling? What i mean is that there are tyres which straight on grooves and tyres with groves cutting into the centre in the shape of Vs etc.

Plus would a change of tyres having different grooves have a serious impact on handling? or would it be a level which could be felt?

Zz

Well Porky took a turn at the Viharamaha devi round about at 40-50kms and we just felt the tyres trying to come out from the wheel. for cornering you need low profiles

@ Pericles - That sinister laugh makes it seems like sarcasm eh? lmao.. be thankful i didnt start a new thread ;-) hehe...

@ Hola - What happened to ya stock rims eh? stick to em while ya get yourself those OZ ones ;-) .. OZ is it?

Michelin have developed a new tyre which is airless and patch-proof.. beautiful stuff having rubber pillars supporting the thread and a see through design.. i doubt whether it would have superb cornering capability though.. it seems quite fragile in a way .. lol...

Zz

Well Porky took a turn at the Viharamaha devi round about at 40-50kms and we just felt the tyres trying to come out from the wheel. for cornering you need low profiles

yes bt as i know it depend on the vehicle and for ur Honda 195/50/15 size is perfect cus my friends honda EK3 got that set and hes conering over 80KMPH and sometime more than 100KMPH bt we can hear some tyre noice anyway very stable no probs bt i personally dnt recoment Silverstone or Eagle 1 tyres go for Yokohama ES100 or Blistern Potenza :unsure:

Edited by GihanFX

Thanks Mazdaspeed.

For sure my tyres are not meant for cars. Plus my stupid alloys are a bit off the align. In other words the tyres are poping out 2-3cms due to the oval shape the alloys got.

hey Hola,

Machan can you pls post a pic of ur oval shaped alloys for all of us to see. Frankly I havent seen one yet

@ Pericles - That sinister laugh makes it seems like sarcasm eh? lmao.. be thankful i didnt start a new thread ;-) hehe...

@ Hola - What happened to ya stock rims eh? stick to em while ya get yourself those OZ ones ;-) .. OZ is it?

Michelin have developed a new tyre which is airless and patch-proof.. beautiful stuff having rubber pillars supporting the thread and a see through design.. i doubt whether it would have superb cornering capability though.. it seems quite fragile in a way .. lol...

Zz

I got a 5000 discount when i traded in the stock rims. Man i regret this alloy wheel

hey Hola,

Machan can you pls post a pic of ur oval shaped alloys for all of us to see. Frankly I havent seen one yet

See how the rim shape is coming out of the body? I feel its having more traction of the road which causes a bad noise . And please, i know this rims are not even 1% fit for a Honda Civic... :)

wheelsym6.jpg

yes bt as i know it depend on the vehicle and for ur Honda 195/50/15 size is perfect cus my friends honda EK3 got that set and hes conering over 80KMPH and sometime more than 100KMPH bt we can hear some tyre noice anyway very stable no probs bt i personally dnt recoment Silverstone or Eagle 1 tyres go for Yokohama ES100 or Blistern Potenza :unsure:

MAchang trust me the 15" alloy idea is after much though as i am very worried on my suspension , so with after much convincing from Porkster i am going to use 15" with 55" tyres not 50.

[MAchang trust me the 15" alloy idea is after much though as i am very worried on my suspension , so with after much convincing from Porkster i am going to use 15" with 55" tyres not 50.

mmmmmmmm U said it your self “not even 1%........” :angry:

U'r right abt that..... looks really ahhhhh..... Shall not rub it in...... :)

15 is good, even 14 would do lovely on your motor..... my personnel favorite been black although I have silver on mine .....

Isn’t 55 a bit on the low profile side ? ...... Since our roads are just as close to F1 racing tracks.... :unsure: u may wannna get some expert advice.... then again it depends on conering etc.... try Rodestone N series tyres form Am*la on Malay St. speak to Sanjeewa..... ( Sorry not trying to promote da plc..... just giving some options - hope it's OK A/L team )

Anyway all the best

Edited by mazdaspeed

MAchang trust me the 15" alloy idea is after much though as i am very worried on my suspension , so with after much convincing from Porkster i am going to use 15" with 55" tyres not 50.

hola r u worried abt the comfirt or abt ur suspention

if u want ur car to be more aggressive u have to forget abt the comfirt bt 190/50/15 r not that bad bt if u change ur suspentions to hard ones and same time some low profile tyres u goin to have a very bad time bt on the other hand u can take high speed corners without any problems

i have been in Nigle and Nirosh subarus man those suspention setups r killing my back :angry-smiley-024: bt those cars easily pass the 220 mark and handle pretty well

Edited by GihanFX

I think 14 might be ok if you are going for ride quality. And on our roads with the potholes...its matters even more. 15 if you want better handling. Since you have lived with 13...13 or 14 should be ok.

We tried from a 195/60/15 to 205/55/15 on our Primera P11. Handled better but the ride was a bit harsh but it was bumpy and hard on the suspension. We went back to 195/60/15 for day to day use.

Btw those at Town Ace ones and the tyres are probably 8ply for all you know....there are some nice designs at places down Malay Street. You can trade in the set with the tyres and get a new set with the tyres.

Also try Hill Street (Dehiwala).