• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Problem - Shifting Gears In An Automatic

AXIO141

Question

Hi Friends,

I have Toyota Axio (Dec 2008).Now it has done 11,950Km. Somedays when I start driving in the morning it takes more time to shift gears, specially 2nd gear to 3rd gear. I’m not sure whether the mileage is genuine or not. Should I change gear oil?

Thanks in Advance

6 answers to this question

The easiest thing is to change the cvt oil and run for few months and see if the problem comes back.

If the problem come back you might need to repair the box.

2nd to 3rd gear in an axio? Do you even know how a cvt box works?

Allow me to spoon feed this to you. your car has a CVT box, A continuously variable transmission. It has 2 gears. A regular one to get you off the line and upto around 60 when you put your foot down. The continuously variable gear is introduced after the 1st gear. I don't know how I can dumb this down. but this is the best explanation I can give you. unlike a conventional gear, where the revs change while the gear ratio stays a constant thus changing the vehicle speed, this one keeps the engine speed constant and varies the gear ratio to increase speed. So there's no 3rd gear. its the 2nd gear that will take you from 60 to 320 or so which is the mechanical top speed of this car

What you are experiencing in the morning is the ecu trying to keep the revs up till the engine warms up. so at the same throttle position where you are cruising at 60 at just 1000 rpms when the engines warm, you'll be running at about 2000-3000 revs. So don't panic as this is entirely normal. And the car definitely isn't looking for a 3rd gear it doesn't have.

These axio/allion owners I tell you -_-

Edited by JadeyBlitzen
  • Like 2