• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Patrol Y60 Yom ‘84 – Should I Go For It?

AutoFan79

Hi Guys,

In love with a Patrol Y60, LWB, YOM is 1984!

Not sure if this is a good decision because

1. Level of maintenance that’s going to be required over the next few years – I know it’s hard to tell w/o inspecting the vehicle but we’re talking about a 1984 Y60 which has been running on local roads for the past two and half decades! How’s the parts availability?

2. Ability to resell it in few years for a decent amount

3. Suitability for day to day use (especially in terms of fuel costs)

4. Wife has threatened that she’s gonna take public transportation whenever I drive this – Don’t worry I got this (I think)!

What do you think?

Few more questions if you got a minute!

I intend to do a few modifications:

- Replace the front and rear bumpers with steel winch front bumper and steel rear bumper.

- Add a snorkel

- Replace the current set of wheels with aggressive mud tires – not sure about the size need to check on this. What do you recommend?

5. Where do you think I should look for parts?

6. What are the reliable places where I can get a good job done?

7. Will this reduce the resell value? (I have this bad feeling it can!)

Looking forward to hear from you!

Thanks for reading my post.

P.S. I already read a few other threads on Y60s but I couldn’t gather much on the above questions.

AF79

Edited by AutoFan79

a word of advice when you buying check whether it's have been gone through body change like most of them some of them done this by body permit and some do this illegally so double check registration book and RMV registration. :)

btw check this thread it it might be useful to you

hi

as someone said, majority of the nissan patrols are not legal.................. especially when someone saying the YOM is 1984, as if I can remember the Y60s came

after 1988........... you can see few 32-5**** vehicles, owned by CEB

look at this also,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Patrol

according to my knowledge, the availability of spares is not that good compared to pajero and land cruisers..............

but i may be wrong, as i ve never owned a Y60

good luck !!!!

Hi Priyanka and Miniace,

Wow, thanks for that info. Didn't know about that before.

Suppose it's a 160 carrying a Y60 body (this is likely to be the case unless if the seller has made a mistake with the YOM in the Ad which, I think is very remote) fitted as per the book, do you see a problem in terms of say safety etc... etc...?

AF79

Edited by AutoFan79

Hi Priyanka and Miniace,

Suppose it's a 160 carrying a Y60 body (this is likely to be the case unless if the seller has made a mistake with the YOM in the Ad which, I think is very remote) fitted as per the book, do you see a problem in terms of say safety etc... etc...?

AF79

what do you mean by safety............... legal wise or in case of an accident

the only safety feature for that vehicle is seat belts according to my knowledge

but by owning that kind of a vehicle you are liable to get lot of troubles from the customs and/or police

the reward for giving a correct information regarding that kind of a vehicle, to the customs is 25,000

so be careful, you friend/enemy might get that reward, if you buy it and keep it with you

what do you mean by safety............... legal wise or in case of an accident

the only safety feature for that vehicle is seat belts according to my knowledge

but by owning that kind of a vehicle you are liable to get lot of troubles from the customs and/or police

the reward for giving a correct information regarding that kind of a vehicle, to the customs is 25,000

so be careful, you friend/enemy might get that reward, if you buy it and keep it with you

That only applies if the vehicle has been illegally converted. If it's been done with a Body Permit (and quite a few patrols have been converted that way) then its perfectly all right AFAIK.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Hi Priyanka and Miniace,

AF79

safety aside its illegal to have one from what i know..unless of course its a body permit even if it is the case you mind want to check with the rmv if the proper weighing was done and duty on the body was paid...there is a club for this type of vehicle in SL you might want to check with those guys also

Ran an '85 short wheel base MQ Patrol (updated one with the square headlights) for 10 years with the L28 petrol motor and a five-speed box. Mechanically the vehicles are pretty bullet-proof providing u keep up the scheduled maintenance. You'll get sick of all the tranny, diff, transfer box oil-changes! Main issue I had were keeping the suspension greased up to avoid the dreaded Nissan squeaks, also keeping the front swivel hubs greased and in good order was a must. Only major repair I had was a clutch replacement. Everything on the Patrols is pretty easy to work on but you do face some high torque values and you do need some decent big sockets/spanners to carry out some jobs. Also, some of the weights you face (like gear box/transfer case) during heavy duty repairs are far more than you would be used to with a car.

Overall, Nissan Patrol mechanicals are much better than the body-work......many Patrols turn out to be real rust boxes...some odd rust places include the rear panels behind the wheels and the braces near the radiator.

The SD33 motors are VERY old-fashioned but reliable with a nice bit of low down grunt available.

Oh, one thing - watch out for voltage set-up, some Patrols had 24v rigs...some people like 'em, some don't.

And one last thing, Patrols have so much capability in the rough that they'll go place s that scare the pants off ya!

By the way, that's an unusual engine spec in Sam's post.

Enjoy.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the heads up, invaluable!

Yala, you mentioned about a "Club" for vehicles like these. Do you know their name/location?

Can anybody point me in the right direction to verify if body conversions have taken place and if so if they've been done as per the law (taxes paid, authorities notified etc... etc...)? As many of you pointed out RMV is one good source of information but I don't think going to RMV with the vehicle registration number will help. How would you handle this?

Do you think vehicles with locally converted bodies are safe in case of accidents (I know no accident is safe but you know what I mean)?

Thanks once again for your comments, suggestions etc... etc... Really appreciate them.

AF79

Yala, you mentioned about a "Club" for vehicles like these. Do you know their name/location?

Do you think vehicles with locally converted bodies are safe in case of accidents (I know no accident is safe but you know what I mean)?

AF79

1) PM Sent

2) Dont see why its not safe its a complete body swap that takes place most of the time and sometimes the only thing that gets changes it the chassis number and engine number engravings on the new vehicle

Guys,

Can anybody point me in the right direction to verify if body conversions have taken place and if so if they've been done as per the law (taxes paid, authorities notified etc... etc...)?

As many of you pointed out RMV is one good source of information but I don't think going to RMV with the vehicle registration number will help. How would you handle this?

Thanks

AF79

Guys, Can anybody point me in the right direction to verify if body conversions have taken place and if so if they've been done as per the law (taxes paid, authorities notified etc... etc...)? As many of you pointed out RMV is one good source of information but I don't think going to RMV with the vehicle registration number will help. How would you handle this? Thanks AF79

If you ask to see the book of the vehicle concerned you will be able to see what the original body of the vehicle was. You can verify if the chassy number on the book is the same as the chassy number of the vehicle as well.

You should thoroughly inspect the vehicle to see if there is any signs of chassis being welded together as this is VERY dangerous.

If you confirm that the body of the vehicle is incompatible with the book you can approach the RMV and inquire if a body permit has been issued for this vehicle to confirm if the swap has been done legitimately.

If you ask to see the book of the vehicle concerned you will be able to see what the original body of the vehicle was. You can verify if the chassy number on the book is the same as the chassy number of the vehicle as well.

You should thoroughly inspect the vehicle to see if there is any signs of chassis being welded together as this is VERY dangerous.

If you confirm that the body of the vehicle is incompatible with the book you can approach the RMV and inquire if a body permit has been issued for this vehicle to confirm if the swap has been done legitimately.

I dont think the 'book' has any info about the body of the vehicle. I would think these SUVs have ladder chassis, in which case there's no 'number' on the body that is recorded. And it should be legit. Just like all those old army/police landrovers are running around with much newer bodies than they should be having.

most 160`s we had in SL were short wheel base from what i remember so first just speak to an owner who has a legit 160 and check his book for the vehicle weight...next when you go checking out Y60`s just take a look at the book for the weight of the vehicle if its a long wheel base but carries a 160 weight in the book its a body swap and most likely not legit since once a body is fixed using a permit the owner has to weigh the vehicle and make changes to the book

I dont think the 'book' has any info about the body of the vehicle. I would think these SUVs have ladder chassis, in which case there's no 'number' on the body that is recorded. And it should be legit. Just like all those old army/police landrovers are running around with much newer bodies than they should be having.

I know watchmen, but the chassis number will indicate what the actual model of the patrol is (not the body that is actually on it). It is not always possible to fit a new body to an existing chassis. Either the first is quite bad (I've seen a few Series III conversions to Defender) and unsafe. But swapping a body is legal to a large degree.

Swapping chassis is not.

Also when it comes to body permits I know quite a lot of stuff bought down by the gang in Kurunegala were complete vehicles cut to pieces. They weren't just bodies. Now those would be illegal, but sometimes the chassis and body was seperate but whole so no cuts and when put together was as good as original. Now if you are really lucky the book will match the model of the vehicle as well and the chassis number would have been re engraved in the chassis making these ones very difficult to detect.

To be honest those won't be too bad.

But then you have the other ones which are cut buds and those are the ones to avoid particularly if the book does not match the actual model of the vehicle.

Off topic....but current fun 'n games with dodgy 4x4s in another part of the world.....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/criminal-gangs-target-toyota-4x4s-for-rebirthing/story-e6frg6nf-1226399192818

...if it takes an Aussie team a day to do the body switch, bet Lankan mechanics could probably do it in a morning, including time for a decent tea-break and a fag!

• Like 1