• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Diesel Engines With Dpf

udayap

Guys,

Most of new diesel engines are incorporated with DPF (diesel particulate filter , especially euro iv, v comlient vehicles ). Though, these engines are environmental friendly, those needs proper maintainance and adoption of proper driving habbits to stay away from costly repairs. experts shed some lights on these aspects. Especially,

1. proper driving habbits, eg. occational highspeed driving during regeneration period of the filter

2. use of proper engine oils designed for these engines

3.other precusions

thanks

Edited by udayap

Oh dearey me, DPFs - an idea to certainly be ranked alongside other marvellous European automotive initiatives such as C-bus, double clutch auto boxes, electric parking brakes, common-rail diesels, and them there Italian electronic dashboards. Yup, you buy a brand-new diesel car intending to save a quid on fuel costs over time and then the particulate filter packs in one fine day and ya know what, 1200 quid or so for a new one. Jazus, you say, I'll try one of those companies that offer a cleaning service on the damaged unit.....WTF! 500 quid! It all makes such sense when fuel economy is your major interest.

And let's forget all about doing a quick blast around town now and again to regenerate the DPF and keep it alive - you need a decent motorway run at motorway speeds to initiate passive regeneration of the filter. If that's not happening in your life then the ecu will eventually detect soot build up in the filter and go into active regeneration mode and start to bleed excess fuel (you know, the stuff you were trying to save in the first place) into the exhaust system to burn and raise the temperature in the filter, (600C!) to clean out the crap. It takes about 10 minutes driving at about 60kph to properly complete an active regneration - try that in many cities. . And if you don't do that, then it's off to the garage for the dealer to do a static regeneration. And there goes the cash you saved on fuel again!

And what's the European point of it all? Keep a bit of diesel soot out of the air. Bring back BMC, quick!

Scooter!!!!

You are right. But, in europe a frequent highway run is common, that is why they developed this system for cleaner environment. The problem is the importers in countries like sri lanka bring down those vehicles just by simply forgeting the driving conditions in sri lanka.

For passive regeneration...how many km (time) at which speed the vehicle shoud run. (consider vehicles been used in an urban area)

Are there places in Sri Lanka, those clean the sooth built up filters.

Edited by udayap

And udayap you are so right about about the different driving conditions in the different countries. And for passive regeneration I hear that you're looking at a steady 100kph and above and a long motorway journey 'cos what your trying to do is to slowly regenerate the catalyst at a lower temperature than achieved in the active regeneration mode. A steady high speed drive also allows the oxygen levels reaching the filter to be right for the burn-off. I've got a gut feeling that most dpf equipped cars in town will be cleaning up the filter through active intervention by the ecu.

Haven't heard of a filter cleaning/renovating place in SL. In the US/UK there are a few places doing it but it ain't cheap. Maybe a good business opportunity coming up on the Island, eh? :D

These are the recommendations given in service manual of my vehicle

Cautions to protect the catalyst filter

Use the designated fuel only. (fuel with ceten >50)

Observe the recommended service intervals of engine oil.

Check the engine oil level frequently and add if necessary.

Do not idle the vehicle unnecessarily.

Do not turn off the engine while the vehicle is running.

Do not shift the gear selector lever to neutral when going downhill.

Do not use improper engine oil or fuel additives.

Do not drive for a long time when the warning lamp is illuminated.

Make sure no flammable material, such as dry grass or tissue paper, contacts with the

catalyst filter while the vehicle is parked.

For the vehicles used in urban traffic, driving on the expressways for more than 1 hour at

least once per week is needed so that the PM inside CDPF isn't collected to one side only.

Is there a way to get rid of the darn thing, like what we used to do for the good old catalytic converter.

I dont think. This unit is coupled to the ecu, so simply we will not be able to get rid of this thing.

By the way, what are the diesel vehicle models currently in the Sri Lanka market, got this DPF thing,

I know, Some Navara models "that is the reason for the poor acceptance of Navara"

Ssangyong models

How about the kia sorento?

I believe for a good regeneration you are looking at mainting a speed of about 100 kmph for atleast 30 minutes which is not gonna happen in a country like SL. Even people here in the UK buying these cars who only do town driving a getting into very costly repairs because of dpf problems.

The dpf can be removed but this is a complicated process as far as I know as it requires ECU software changes and possibly other electronics modifications. There are companies who offer this service

http://www.dpfremoval.co.uk/

Blimey, udayap, what a topic you've started! The recommendations the car maker has given you touch on the what but not the why. Fore example, poor diesel seems to force cars into frequent active regeneration not linked to a soot build-up. And the oll cautions are linked to a danger that the excess fuel pumped during the active regeneration can also contaminate the engine oil. So, here we go, the more often the vehicle goes into active regeneration (which can be a lot if the cycles don't complete properly because of city driving conditions) the more the danger of engine oil contamination.

And, again you guys are right, ripping the dpfs out would involve fiddling with the ecu and (at least in Europe/USA) contravening the pollution regulations. Vehicles with the filters???, well all the German marques luv 'em, some Jags have had them for a while, Volvos, Fords, MItsubishis, NIssans...the list of modern cars with dpfs is sorta getting endless 'cos of the Euro 5 emission standards. I tell ya folks, those Europeans - they've buggered up their financial systems and now they're buggering up our world of motoring with this complex emission technology of theirs!

Blimey, udayap, what a topic you've started! The recommendations the car maker has given you touch on the what but not the why. Fore example, poor diesel seems to force cars into frequent active regeneration not linked to a soot build-up. And the oll cautions are linked to a danger that the excess fuel pumped during the active regeneration can also contaminate the engine oil. So, here we go, the more often the vehicle goes into active regeneration (which can be a lot if the cycles don't complete properly because of city driving conditions) the more the danger of engine oil contamination.

And, again you guys are right, ripping the dpfs out would involve fiddling with the ecu and (at least in Europe/USA) contravening the pollution regulations. Vehicles with the filters???, well all the German marques luv 'em, some Jags have had them for a while, Volvos, Fords, MItsubishis, NIssans...the list of modern cars with dpfs is sorta getting endless 'cos of the Euro 5 emission standards. I tell ya folks, those Europeans - they've buggered up their financial systems and now they're buggering up our world of motoring with this complex emission technology of theirs!

Lets develop our expertise to ripping out this damn thing.... :sleeping-smiley-008: :sleeping-smiley-008:

• 3 months later...

If anyone's interested in taking off the DPF of a Nissan Navara D40 2006 Onwards.. Let me know..I've done it, and now I get much better fuel economy and bit more extra power.

How did you do it without messing with the vehicle electronics?

DPF Delete Pipe. Apparently this pipe has been designed so that the 2 pressure sensors and 2 oxygen sensors get the values as in the DPF is running fine with no blockage. So the Re-gen cycle never runs. Still I've red somewhere that there is another cleaning cycle running every few thousand Kms and that will still run. Didn't notice anything yet..As long as you do the pipe fitting while DPF light is still off and you don't stuff up the O2 sensors, you will not see any check engine or dpf light comes on..

If anyone's interested in taking off the DPF of a Nissan Navara D40 2006 Onwards.. Let me know..I've done it, and now I get much better fuel economy and bit more extra power.

Good news, Many thanks for informing the forum members

By the way, how better the fuel efficiency now?

This is in liters per 100kms as it's displayed on the dashboard.. approx values...

On freeways at 100 and city driving it was around 16.5 L/100kms but sometimes it goes upto 20+ (I'm guessing this is when my DPF is patially blocked and re-gen cycle running..

Now It's between 12-15 mark and if i reset the counter on freeway at 100 and drive only on freeway for some distance (Which should give me the best economy, I get about 9...

What I have here in Melbourne is a 2007 Pathfinder which is the same as Navara except it's a 7 Seater..and a bit more heavier..

I do have a 2007 Navara back home in SL and will do the same for it when I come down to SL in DEC and post the figures...

Edited by Fixzit