• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Way Of Gear Changing

amilaart

Question

I was buy Toyota Starlet ep91 MT with the help of AL expertise and AL.

As im new to driving im confusing in Gear changing.

Last few days I did practice run with two of my friends.

One friend says that, Do not run 1st gear so long time, change it ASAP,

My other friend says that , wait till until vehicle reach some speed and then change it in to 2nd

I saw my another office mate change all the 4-5 gear withing first 50 m but still vehicle speed around 20 kmph.

As fuel consumption has strong relationship with the driving habits , pls tell me the best way to I need to practice.

5 answers to this question

if you are not racing, you don't have to change gears at higher RPM's. just change around 1500-2000. when you rev harder in 1st gear, what happens is as soon as u get the foot from brake pedal and if you haven't pressed the clutch pedal at full, engine braking will happen.that happens with all gears but 1st gear is the toughest one. so don't rev much and change gears at lower RPM's if you are on flat surfaces.btwn its good for your pocket too.

so you have to change the gear by the feeling and the sound. not easy as looking at a meter lol. but since you get it, u feel when you need to change the gear without looking at the meter.