• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Check Engine Light Blinking

thara123

Question

Hi All,

I have a Toyota Carina AT192(1995) car. It has run 130000km. When I'm running the car, some times it is blinking the check engine bulb. but it is not always coming on. when the bulb comes on, car is running slowly. once i checked with a garage. they scanned and said there is a problem with the oxygen sensor and instructed me to do a engine tune up. they said u might have to change the oxygen sensor then.

But I connected the TE1 and E1 in the diagnosis and check the check engine bulb. it is blinking normally as recommended.

and other problem is i need to put engine oil time to time. i think engine oil is burned more than normal condition. i informed this to the garage and they said you have to change the rings set first and then do the the engine tune up. they said without changing the rings set, no point of doing the engine tune up for that check engine problem. for this issue, my friend (mechanic) said just put new PCV valve first and check still this engine oil issue is there.

please give me the correct advise for this issue. because I'm confused with this different advises of different people.if i have to change the rings set and do the engine tune up with genuine parts, what will be the cost like? what is the suitable place to check this both issue?

thanks

Edited by thara123

11 answers to this question

Its better if you take your vehicle to Toyota Lanka. Its pretty expensive there though but its worth. This issue seems to be a major one. I know a service adviser there. I can give his contact details if you want.

I have a Toyota Carina AT192(1995) car. It has run 130000km.

From reading your problems, I think your odo is reversed. So you better not trust that.

I don't think any car would give this type of problems (like burning oil) when the clock is genuinely 130,000km

thanks for the reply.

Sanjeev, Can you give me his contact no. I ll contact and show him the vehicle. and do you guys know other expertise about this issue other than toyota lanka. if so, just give me contact nos.

Edited by thara123

Yes I have to agree with razordj , by this time 1995 AT 192 should have done above 200k usually on a toyota oil starts to burn about 250k. Just you may ckeck with the fume color. If it is blue or similar that means the Engine oil is leaking past your piston rings and getting into the engine cylinder and mixing with your fuel and during the combustion it gives blue smoke. Then I have tell you my friend its time to change the rings set.

if it is not the case then most probably you will need a engine tune up.

But I think best is to show the vehical to the Agents and get thire opinion.

Hi All,

I have a Toyota Carina AT192(1995) car. It has run 130000km. When I'm running the car, some times it is blinking the check engine bulb. but it is not always coming on. when the bulb comes on, car is running slowly. once i checked with a garage. they scanned and said there is a problem with the oxygen sensor and instructed me to do a engine tune up. they said u might have to change the oxygen sensor then.

But I connected the TE1 and E1 in the diagnosis and check the check engine bulb. it is blinking normally as recommended.

and other problem is i need to put engine oil time to time. i think engine oil is burned more than normal condition. i informed this to the garage and they said you have to change the rings set first and then do the the engine tune up. they said without changing the rings set, no point of doing the engine tune up for that check engine problem. for this issue, my friend (mechanic) said just put new PCV valve first and check still this engine oil issue is there.

please give me the correct advise for this issue. because I'm confused with this different advises of different people.if i have to change the rings set and do the engine tune up with genuine parts, what will be the cost like? what is the suitable place to check this both issue?

thanks

on the check engine light issues...when you conncted the pins in the diagnostic port and got he bulb blinks...did you count em properly and made sure it's a normal code? Or did you get that issues sorte after the PCV valve replacement.

Great thing with OBD1 is that you can pull codes out without code readers. downside is that the monitoring parametres are far less than an OBD2 system

As for the oil loss...

there can be a few reasons... number 1 being an oil loss via a leak somwhere but this is quite noticeable due to tell tale oil parks on your garage.

Another problem is oil getting passed through the valve seals. If this is the case, you will see blue smoke upon starting but it will fade away after running the motor a bit as the leaked oil gets burnt out. If you keep the car parked for extended period of time, the amount blue smoke will be quite high.

THe third issue can be oil seeping passed the pistong rings due to a worn ringset and or worn bore.

This way you will see blue smoke right throughout the time the engine is running and the smoke will increase as engine revs increase. Most of the time, spark plugs too will be blacj, oily and sooty. Depending on the level of wear, you might be able to get away with a ringset replacement but in most cases with older cars, you'd have to go for a new bore job and drop larger pistons etc... aka engine overhaul.

I would stay away from the agents cos they really aren't good as they should be.

on the check engine light issues...when you conncted the pins in the diagnostic port and got he bulb blinks...did you count em properly and made sure it's a normal code? Or did you get that issues sorte after the PCV valve replacement.

Great thing with OBD1 is that you can pull codes out without code readers. downside is that the monitoring parametres are far less than an OBD2 system

As for the oil loss...

there can be a few reasons... number 1 being an oil loss via a leak somwhere but this is quite noticeable due to tell tale oil parks on your garage.

Another problem is oil getting passed through the valve seals. If this is the case, you will see blue smoke upon starting but it will fade away after running the motor a bit as the leaked oil gets burnt out. If you keep the car parked for extended period of time, the amount blue smoke will be quite high.

THe third issue can be oil seeping passed the pistong rings due to a worn ringset and or worn bore.

This way you will see blue smoke right throughout the time the engine is running and the smoke will increase as engine revs increase. Most of the time, spark plugs too will be blacj, oily and sooty. Depending on the level of wear, you might be able to get away with a ringset replacement but in most cases with older cars, you'd have to go for a new bore job and drop larger pistons etc... aka engine overhaul.

I would stay away from the agents cos they really aren't good as they should be.

Have you experienced any of these issues?

Edited by Shanjeev

Have you experienced any of these issues?

I don't think your question is valid. Ripper might have not experienced this particular set of issues, but he's messed around cars long enough to know what he's talking about.

Quite frankly I agree with his advice, hence the reason why I didn't comment on this thread.

There is no point rushing to the agent unless you have deep pockets, and if you have been in this forum long enough you would notice that more often than not the agents are unable to solve complicated problems and their standard suggestion is to change a lot of items often unnecessarily. The most I would get done from the agent is the report from the diagnostic system in this case. But a lot of garages now have diagnostic machines so you don't need to run to the agents for that either. Just stay away from glorified but incapable places such Mag City.

• Like 1

thanks all for replies.

Car_Madness,

smoke color is somewhat white/blue like. i could see that smoke upon starting and then that faded away with the time, but it increased smoking with more revs.

Ripper,

i counted it and result is 50 blinks for 25 seconds.

still I have not changed the PCV valve.in the sense, without changing new PCV valve, i checked the diagnosis.

I have no idea about this OBD1/2. Can you tell me how to do that checking?

I checked with home garage. no any oil is available around the area. smoke is increased as engine revs increased.

do you guys have recommended place except agent if i need to replace rings set?

thanks all for replies.

Car_Madness,

smoke color is somewhat white/blue like. i could see that smoke upon starting and then that faded away with the time, but it increased smoking with more revs.

Ripper,

i counted it and result is 50 blinks for 25 seconds.

still I have not changed the PCV valve.in the sense, without changing new PCV valve, i checked the diagnosis.

I have no idea about this OBD1/2. Can you tell me how to do that checking?

I checked with home garage. no any oil is available around the area. smoke is increased as engine revs increased.

do you guys have recommended place except agent if i need to replace rings set?

Establish the problem first before worrying about solutions. If you suspect that piston rings have worn off and the vehicle is burning oil the first course of action is a compression test. I think you can get it done at D*MO.

If its not the rings or the pistons the likely suspect is the valve seats which is an easier fix.

If you do not have a good place to get diagnostic test done (as in hook it into the computer and get a report) do get it done at the agent. The diagnosis system at the agent is a bit more specific than generic systems used by some garages particularly the hand held devices. After you have had a report you can decide on the appropriate course of action.

A little point to note is diagnostic system reports are not always 100% conclusive. Once I had a report of multiple sensor failure when the actual problem was with the ECU....

I think Snajeev is correctly advising. Here agents except for places like DIMOs who have their own technical influx from inhouse professional training, all iothers are using apprentices with very little knowledge and experience though under qualified persons and going to agents does not guarantee better service.

From your dialog it is apparent that there is oil getting into the exhaust system. PCV is a sure bet. Another is worn out piton rings but you can rule out by getting a compression test done. even you can do it by removing a spark plug if pertol or removing  an injector then ccycle ranking with finger blocking the hole to see whether there is a plop sound when the finger is removed at compression and the cycle continues. The oils is splashed up for the cylinder to move but the scraper ring if good, prevents it antering the chamber. The other reason is as Sanjeev says, valve seats. Engine being sluggish when the light on means you have a problem related to oil entering the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. Is the engine turbo. Then the turbo valve may be stuck.

Like that systematically diagnose and attend after finding the root cause without changing componenets for the sake of repairing. Alos new spares are not as reliable as the original.

Where doyou stay? If in Nugegoda the Edirisinghe motors will do a good job but get Chulan himself involved. If in Kiribathgoda area then there is a garage before small bridge on road from Chanaka Motors to Viharaya. Nalaka Motors in Kadawatha Eksath Mawatha too is good.