• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

The Car Battery Went Dead Suddenly ???

DVT

Hi all,

just a quck question.

about a week ago my wife's car battery went dead and noticed that no battery inside also. A bettery water filling and normal charge up solved the issue.

The battery went dead again on this Tuesday and not sure of the reason. We started the vehicle with jumper cables connecting to my vehicle . Got it charged again and noticed the following day again "a dead battery"

I am in the view that the battery is useless now.

However my worry is the " Battery shop gadget shows the bttery as "OK" ( The green colour indicator).The fellow is in the view that the battery is OK.

Just wanted to check with you guys before replacing the battery over the weekend to ensure that I unnecessarily do not waste money if the battery iS ok .

Please share your view.

Thanks

Hi all,

just a quck question.

about a week ago my wife's car battery went dead and noticed that no battery inside also. A bettery water filling and normal charge up solved the issue.

The battery went dead again on this Tuesday and not sure of the reason. We started the vehicle with jumper cables connecting to my vehicle . Got it charged again and noticed the following day again "a dead battery"

I am in the view that the battery is useless now.

However my worry is the " Battery shop gadget shows the bttery as "OK" ( The green colour indicator).The fellow is in the view that the battery is OK.

Just wanted to check with you guys before replacing the battery over the weekend to ensure that I unnecessarily do not waste money if the battery iS ok .

Please share your view.

Thanks

'DVT',

During the day battery works OK. How old the battery.

How many hours after stopping the engine battery goes down.

You can check the battery yourself remove one battery terminal in the night.

If the car starts next day after overnight stop when you fix the terminal in the morning. Then follow the following.

There may be a very small draw of current when you stop the car over night.

Get a Auto Electrician to check using Ampere meter when you stop the car if there is any draw of current from the battery.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Not sure of the battery life as we bought the vehicle about one year before. Certainly at least one year old.

We stopped the engine about 7.30 pm and checked again at about 7.00 am , the following day.

Thanks for your advise.

Just to know what battery make would you suggest , which is reasoable in quality and price both.(sealed type).

if there were no battery water in it, possibly the system overchages. Not enough battery water means charge does not hold the way it should.

Check the charging system properly with a battery meter / multimeter to see whether it charges at least 13.2 ~ 13.5 during normal running. With a full load (Lights + A/C + blower set to full speed) the system should charge 12.8 ~ 13 in idle speed. When you increase engine RPM, it shouldn't go beyond 14 ~ 14.5 which indicates an overcharging symptoms which will cause the battery to lose battery water.

if there were no battery water in it, possibly the system overchages. Not enough battery water means charge does not hold the way it should.

Check the charging system properly with a battery meter / multimeter to see whether it charges at least 13.2 ~ 13.5 during normal running. With a full load (Lights + A/C + blower set to full speed) the system should charge 12.8 ~ 13 in idle speed. When you increase engine RPM, it shouldn't go beyond 14 ~ 14.5 which indicates an overcharging symptoms which will cause the battery to lose battery water.

'harshansenadhir',

About Battery charging Voltage 14.5 is the maximum voltage that battery can handle without any harm to the battery.

If DC voltage goes up more than 14.6 volts then the battery starts to evaporate battery water.

Most new Auto Alternators have inbuilt Electronic regulators which cannot be adjusted.

Only old electric magnetic regulators of old era was adjustable.

Above is my experience in setting of DC 12 Volts regulators.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

DVT,

Your voltage is at that it is OK. Check if there is any draw of current when you stop the car using a Ampere meter.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for your valuable advises.

I will check that.............