• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw N47

Rachitha

I would like to know whether any of the E90 or X1 engines suffered with any engine timing chain issues as described in some forums. It seems a costly thing to repair. Appreciate some BMW expert input on Sri Lankan context. I'm having second thoughts for my next purchase. Thanks.

The issue has been there for engines manufactured from 01/03/07 to 01/03/11.

How can we be sure that a given car is free of this defect or not?

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=132744

madmax, its not a simple issue to ignore. I just would like to take an informed decision. The timing chains on the N47 is at the gearbox side unlike older M47 engines. To replace the timing chain it is necessary to remove the engine. Some times the crank also needs replacement.

The issue has been there for engines manufactured from 01/03/07 to 01/03/11.

How can we be sure that a given car is free of this defect or not?

http://www.bmwland.c...ic.php?t=132744

madmax, its not a simple issue to ignore. I just would like to take an informed decision. The timing chains on the N47 is at the gearbox side unlike older M47 engines. To replace the timing chain it is necessary to remove the engine. Some times the crank also needs replacement.

Doesn't the thing come with warranty anyway?

He didn't tell you to ignore the problem. He just said you shouldn't buy it if you have second thoughts.

I think it's best for everyone if you went ahead and bought an Allion or Premio. Has excellent fuel consumption and resale value. Parts are also cheap. Make sure you buy one with a teak interior. They hold their values better than the non-teak ones.

• Like 1

I have a 2006 n46, don't worry too much about forums. Just make sure you get your chain, guides and tension-er checked at the agents if you really want to. Believe me, owning a bimmer would be a nightmare if you engross your self in forums!!! just enjoy the car

Thanks for the encouraging comment. I'm new to the BMWs, and trying to stretch myself to purchase one cos I like to enjoy the drive. On the same time I don’t have deep pockets as well.

well it seems to be a bit of a serious issue that appears to have been resolved in the engines after mar 2011. really unfortunate issue as the timing chain sprockets which appear to have become defective as they are too sharp or something are friction welded to the crankshaft making a crankshaft change required. Also it appears that the majority of the problems occur after the car has hit 100K Kms so a new car with a warranty shouldn't have too much to worry about - what would be worrying to potential buyers of the 320d's, x1's and now the 520d's is after they finish the warranty and come on the market in about a years time. Never heard of timing chains snapping until you read about this issue - some horrid pictures of busted chains and the damage they cause on google as well.