• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil Pressure

Magnum357

What are the ideal ranges the engine oil pressure should be at ie. between a cold start and hot idling? Would it vary from engine to engine on criteria such as capacity and also between diesel and petrol engines in general?

When the engine reaches operating temperature is it acceptable that for every 1000rpm a pressure reading of 10psi increasingly accordingly is a safe standard to go by regardless of capacity or whether the engine is diesel or petrol?

Your views "Honorable Experts"?????

Edited by Magnum357

Magnum,

To my knowledge the normal automobile oil pressure is ranging from 10 PSI TO 40 PSI. Depending on the engine condition. Also engine RPM.

I have experience on dry sump Industrial engines they have a constant pressure due to the oil cooler is keeping the oil temperature allays down.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Magnum,

To my knowledge the normal automobile oil pressure is ranging from 10 PSI TO 40 PSI. Depending on the engine condition. Also engine RPM.

I have experience on dry sump Industrial engines they have a constant pressure due to the oil cooler is keeping the oil temperature allays down.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks Sylvi :) .

So the "10PSI for every 1000rpm" theory sounds about correct even with your view of a range of 10-40PSI, as an engine would idle at around 750rpm (10PSI) and would rev upto around 3000rpm (30PSI) when driven and go even upto 40PSI at a cold start and stabilise to a lower PSI when warmed up.

Wonder if any other "knowledgeable members" could give some more insight to the topic specially with reference to engine capacities, cylinders, diesel or petrol etc etc?

Edited by Magnum357

generally the workshop manual for your manual will have the oil pressure for the engine

Of course yes, but my curiosity was whether the pressure differs from engine to engine depending on capacity, no. of cylinders, whether diesel or petrol etc etc, just for knowledge sake. If you have a manual can you please let me know the type of engine and the recommended oil pressure for it?

Of course yes, but my curiosity was whether the pressure differs from engine to engine depending on capacity, no. of cylinders, whether diesel or petrol etc etc, just for knowledge sake. If you have a manual can you please let me know the type of engine and the recommended oil pressure for it?

'Magnum357',

YES they differ engine to engine designers specifications. Automobiles will be low pressure as the engine RPM come down.

You have to refer to work shop manual on engine rebuilding and final testing.

Increases when your Rpm goes up during changing gears and high speed driving.

There can be very negligible drop when the engine heat level comes to normal temperature.

All above is what I know and under is the about oil and oil gauges to read pressure. I have added this under for your information.

For Maximum engine performance and for correct oil pressure Manufacture of the engine recommend oil pressure. which is very important. Always use According to S.A.E. (Society of Automotive Engineers) specifications. Recommends 5-W-50 Synthetic next best is high grade 20-w-50 Motor oils.

It is better to Change your oil every 1000 Kilometers before the next change recommended by the Manufacture of the oil. What you had used to change earlier oil change,

I mention this because engine will run more time than the Odometer reading if you use a vehicle more town running. This practice will help to maintain your vehicle engine, oil pressure reduce bearings wastage and improve engine cooling too.

All old automobiles had oil pressure gauges. Any drop in engine oil pressure it was indicated in the oil pressure gauge.

Now days with improved oil and synthetic oils, Engine manufactures did not fix a pressure gauge. Instead they fixed a waning lamp on the meter board.

Warning lamp will light up to give warning the oil pressure is below the required standard

Sylvi Wijesinghe.