• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius

MIBSriLanka

Seriously? Your falling for this? :rolleyes: This guys post runs like an advertisement, he has joined today, and you are so desperate to justify a Prius that you want to believe it? Might want to take a few more minuted to think. Specially when he tries a line like " i had a chat with an engineer at toyota lanka and they mentioned that they have plans of launching hybrids in srilanka."

Newsflash: This was taken in 2006

http://preveenr.fotopic.net/p34967013.html

It wasn't the eha-paarey car-sale uncle displaying that, it was Toyota Lanka.

im NOT trying to justify any thing.. ;)

yha agree with you.

lot of monkey business are around(one came sayng "prius are us"he he..)

i saw that he had just joined...so can be an advertiser on be half of toyota lanka also...

but there is a little probability that he is not an advertiser too..recentyl i saw couple of prius and new civic hybrids.so already hybrids are here...

so this guy MAY actually own one...

so we will see...

lets be open minded and find about it at the same time not let the advertisers fool us.isn't it? :alc:

Edited by M navy

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i had a chat with an engineer at toyota lanka and they mentioned that they have plans of launching hybrids in srilanka.

Really? A work colleague, interested in buying a hybrid had spoken to Toyota Lanka a couple of days ago, and they had told him that they have no plans to launch Prius in the near future.

Edited by jehan80

Prius is the most fuel economical car in the world.

Nah.. machan. Honda Hybrid does more fuel than Prius. Also Chevrolet Volt Hybrid does more than 40 KM/L. Volkswagon also has developed a hybrid which does more fuel than Prius. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. :)

Nah.. machan. Honda Hybrid does more fuel than Prius. Also Chevrolet Volt Hybrid does more than 40 KM/L. Volkswagon also has developed a hybrid which does more fuel than Prius. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. :)

Honda - http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hybrid/ [MPG[2]: 40 CITY 43 HWY]

Prius - http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/ : [51/48 est. mpg [2]Zip Code]

apperantly humidity and the heat in srilanka is of no concern. australia is more or less the same at times and they've been using hybrids for long time. fact - heat is good for a hybrid because it creates a better working condition for the battery. dust wise, there's no rocket science involved in the intake so it's more or less like a normal car. the prius is fun to drive especially with it's 10.8 ltr engine. if you need performance all you have to do is press the "power button" on the dashboard and voila... you have the petrol engine taking over instead of the hybrid system. so it can be a fun car to drive. after all it does 0-100km's in 10 something seconds.

Kinda the highlights of his opinion :D

Edited by rangerover

hey los vendedores de guerrilla, I think you guys are going to have your behinds handed to you on a plate! Don't you realise this is an automotive forum?? Most of us are motor enthusiasts and have a little idea about vehicles. Just cos someone says something is great, does infinity KmpL and goes from 0-60 at warp 10 just makes us smile! Better save your time and money and go for a T.V. spot or a magazine page!

As for the matter at hand, hybrids sound great but will they stand up to our conditions? Only time will tell if they become as popular as the Axio (God forbid) or if they end up as spare battery chargers.

Only time will tell if they become as popular as the Axio (God forbid) or if they end up as spare battery chargers.

biggrin.gif

Btw guys, what exactly is the case if someone decides to do an engine swap with a Prius after an accident or something? If the battery gets punctured or so? It does come at quite a low price for a new car but taxes are reduced due to them being hybrid, so as people don't throw away anything here and an engine swap is cheaper than a spare Prius battery, any legal issues if someone converting it to fully petrol powered?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

biggrin.gif

Btw guys, what exactly is the case if someone decides to do an engine swap with a Prius after an accident or something? If the battery gets punctured or so? It does come at quite a low price for a new car but taxes are reduced due to them being hybrid, so as people don't throw away anything here and an engine swap is cheaper than a spare Prius battery, any legal issues if someone converting it to fully petrol powered?

Yes and in fact I've seen two conversions so far, never bothered to go back to the place and check since then.

Thats coz you haven't been paying attention. What annoyed some people is the daft claims, not the hybrid nature itself. Has anyone yet claimed its a good buy coz its a lower priced new car apart from you? They are all trying to be environmental evangelists.

Enthusiast communities as a whole tend to not be sheep that follow the herd. Its not limited to cars. People buy phones following the herd (you might have noticed a question yesterday from one of the herd). People buy cameras to follow the herd with no idea what to do. Cars are the same.

btw Peri, correct me if i'm wrong, but i saw most trying to be petrol heads are the people who tried to show that Prius is an environment hazard, rather than people who talked for Prius talked about its environmental friendliness. Cos its a fact that all these hybrids got this attention because low price. I think people who are for Hybrids are talking more about its fuel saving as the main feature. But that too i have to agree that some are in delusion of quite unpractical values.

I feel environmental evangelists term more appropriate for the people who try to be tree huggers by only bashing the Prius. I think this situation was previously explained better by another senior member 'xXx'

"...

I think reducing the taxes on hybrids has really brought the inner tree huger in all of us, and i'm not talking about the people who are lining up to buy a Prius.

All you boys who worry about pollution in Sri Lanka, what's your stance on the use of plastic bags and the amount of plastic furniture in circulation? I'm sure the sheer volume and the magnitude of pollution cause by them surpass the effects of discarded hybrid battery packs.

..."

Anyway I'm sure you may know better as you go through majority of the posts, so there may've been ones I missed.

someone mentioned about a 'power button' for a prius to run purely on petrol.

if this really exist, wonder how much that does on fuel.

not that i'm worried about the consumption but to actually see how 'green' it is in that aspect.

btw Peri, correct me if i'm wrong, but i saw most trying to be petrol heads are the people who tried to show that Prius is an environment hazard, rather than people who talked for Prius talked about its environmental friendliness. Cos its a fact that all these hybrids got this attention because low price. I think people who are for Hybrids are talking more about its fuel saving as the main feature. But that too i have to agree that some are in delusion of quite unpractical values.

Look dude, all cars have an environmental impact. All manufacturing does. People aren't so much trying to show it as a hazard (They all are, nothing special if the Prius is), its to show that it isn't as much a saviour as some try to show it. What they say is, the Prius may allow you to have a lower cost of running, but the lifetime impact on the planet is not all that great.

Besides, how cheap is it really, if not for a tax cut? A standard car with the same sized engine and same options would have to cost less, due to not having the extra battery cost. It needs lots of extra electronics to run the system, more computer power than a run of the mill road car. Extra components that do things like regenerative braking. Which means, there are more components that can go wrong, more things that can break, more things to replace when worn out. How complicated will maintenance be with all the extra electronics? And those batteries are heavy, they add weight, which means more power needed to move the car than a non-hybrid of the same spec. And that increase in weight will also effect handling, braking distance due to inertia, and anything else you can think of. Sole positive, all that weight being low down in the bottom of the car would mean its less likely to flip over on its side.

Why the double standard for japs and euro's? there so many who jump at pointing fingers to euro cars for being overengineered and complicated, when the very same lot jump at a jap car with so many hi tech components as peri mentioned that could go wrong resulting in exorbitant repair bills :action-smiley-060:

Why the double standard for japs and euro's? there so many who jump at pointing fingers to euro cars for being overengineered and complicated, when the very same lot jump at a jap car with so many hi tech components as peri mentioned that could go wrong resulting in exorbitant repair bills :action-smiley-060:

This same hybrid vs non hybrid argument would apply to a Euro or American hybrid vs non hybrid too. I do believe I mentioned up there that its compared to a standard similarly specced car? And I didn't say hi tech components can go wrong, I just said it has more components. And I only mentioned that to show that it might not be as cheap to run as some people think. This is because people are holding up the cheap characteristic of running a hybrid.

This is a hybrid over non-hybrid discussion, not a Jap over Euro. And who is the very same lot that said euro cars are over engineered? Certainly wasn't me. Do Euro cars have extra components compared to Japs? Heck I didn't even say the Prius was over engineered or needlessly complicated. Take up Euro vs Jap with someone who argued that, I didn't so don't point fingers at me. You need to keep a better track of who said what.

Really? A work colleague, interested in buying a hybrid had spoken to Toyota Lanka a couple of days ago, and they had told him that they have no plans to launch Prius in the near future.

I actually spoke with TL,, They are planning 2 bring them down by Nov. this year,

Think about, it with the tax breaks TL would be mad nt 2 exploit this advantage.

The Prius is nt 4 everyone, bt it's gonna b ideal 4 city driving for most...

Bt 4 me I like a manual car with a conventional petrol engine

This same hybrid vs non hybrid argument would apply to a Euro or American hybrid vs non hybrid too. I do believe I mentioned up there that its compared to a standard similarly specced car? And I didn't say hi tech components can go wrong, I just said it has more components. And I only mentioned that to show that it might not be as cheap to run as some people think. This is because people are holding up the cheap characteristic of running a hybrid.

This is a hybrid over non-hybrid discussion, not a Jap over Euro. And who is the very same lot that said euro cars are over engineered? Certainly wasn't me. Do Euro cars have extra components compared to Japs? Heck I didn't even say the Prius was over engineered or needlessly complicated. Take up Euro vs Jap with someone who argued that, I didn't so don't point fingers at me. You need to keep a better track of who said what.

1. I didn't mention that you said euro cars were over engineered or prius's were overengineered

2. I only quoted your statement on prius having more components!

3. If you go through other treads that are running now, they are a lot of views on euro's being overengineered, with the very same ppl who make such statements comment on how good hybrid cars are

I really don't know what made you think that my post was directed at you! it just quoted a point you made on the more components the prius has!

1. I didn't mention that you said euro cars were over engineered or prius's were overengineered

2. I only quoted your statement on prius having more components!

3. If you go through other treads that are running now, they are a lot of views on euro's being overengineered, with the very same ppl who make such statements comment on how good hybrid cars are

I really don't know what made you think that my post was directed at you! it just quoted a point you made on the more components the prius has!

Ohhh, thats what you meant. Punctuation issue :) Carry on.

Golden Memories.

1. Crisco Nihal's Allion (BTW this was not a hybrid)

My one does around 19-22kms in colombo & i hit the max of 25.6kms when i went to trico last 27th....

I only runs with 95octtane & mileage is above 66k...

2. The Prius.

Prius is the most fuel economical car in the world. Also thats the best selling car in Japan and have overtaken the Corolla. Now you can imagine where the prius will go. Battery never fails. Then they offered 10 years warranty for 2010 model and now they talk of life time warranty. Parts are highly reliable since they make same model for US and Europe as well. A Taiwan company is setting up a highly advanced service center for Hybrids. Meanwhile Toyota Lanka and Stafford will introduce their hybrids after training their people. All big brands are coming up with Hybrid models including Mercedes, BMW, Ford etc etc. Go for Hybrids now. The present petrol car will be obsolete very soon. This is eco friendly and does 30 KM/L. wow. Check there is a ad in Auto Lanka for Prius.

He might not been having enough money to buy a merc or atleast a pure petrol axio

thats why he must have bought this

Which proves that he is tasteless and most importantly BROKE

Guys do you consider an E36 owner as broke coz last time i checked a E36 cost way less than a Prius.

I don't think any average car user in this country who could afford the total cash investment up front or meet the regular lease payments without default could be considered broke. After all the price we pay for cars in this country, we could buy two or more of the same in many developed countries!! :alc:

Guys do you consider an E36 owner as broke coz last time i checked a E36 cost way less than a Prius.

I dont get your point <_<

Where have i mentioned anything about an E36 ?

Maybe you should read what i had replied to, you'll get what i meant :rolleyes:

I was just making a general comment to point out that how some brand hybrid buyers as 'economical' buyers but when some one buys an old euro car for way less they are branded as enthusiasts, petrol heads etc.

Well for one thing the people who are rushing to buy hybrids these days are doing so chiefly because they are a lot cheaper than comparably sized petrol cars, and also because they are seduced by claims of 30+ KMP/L advertised by the sellers. So yes, it really isnt a stretch to call these folks Economical.

People who buy old euros generally fall into two categories: Those who buy them because they are cheap and look cool and those who buy them because they genuinely enjoy the cars.

The first category usually end up contributing the "European cars are impossible to run" myth because they cut corners when it comes to repairs and maintenance, which is something a corolla will tolerate far better than an old BMW, Alfa or VW will.

Its generally the second category that are referred to as Petrol heads or Enthusiasts or any of the other varied terms that you seem to have a high degree of contempt for.