• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advises For Buying A 4Dr5 Jeep

kushana

Dear friends, I wish to buy a 4DR5 long wheel base Mitsubishi jeep and I'm totally new for this type of vehicles. Please advise me the main factors to be considered! Are the spare parts including engine parts are readily available? When I’m evaluating a vehicle in the market, how can I check the engine conditions? I highly appreciate if you guys can help me in this regard. Thank you.

for my short experience with 4dr5,

1. Check the book cz theres some with mihendra books

2. Proper Body shapes cz these are really old vehicles many have under gone body repairing, and fixed so u know most of the maka bass work hard to find a proper body shop in SL

3Parts are freely available as long as u not trying to find doors or windscreen frames.

4.check the body linings

5.engine check, when the engine starts see dt too much of smoke and oil coming out of the oil cap.

6.check the chassis there is a common rust point to the rear end of the chassis.

7.check for all the parts are there i mean the gauges working(hard to come by them n expensive), inner door grab, wiper covers/washers.

8 check if front propeller shaft is there (most of the jeeps are without this cz dumb users remove it thinking it will reduce fuel consumption)

9.long wheel base model has a common problem in chassis where the chassis bend a little by the middle just pass the front seat

Thats all i can think of for now, will post if something more comes up to mind :D

for my short experience with 4dr5,

1. Check the book cz theres some with mihendra books

2. Proper Body shapes cz these are really old vehicles many have under gone body repairing, and fixed so u know most of the maka bass work hard to find a proper body shop in SL

3Parts are freely available as long as u not trying to find doors or windscreen frames.

4.check the body linings

5.engine check, when the engine starts see dt too much of smoke and oil coming out of the oil cap.

6.check the chassis there is a common rust point to the rear end of the chassis.

7.check for all the parts are there i mean the gauges working(hard to come by them n expensive), inner door grab, wiper covers/washers.

8 check if front propeller shaft is there (most of the jeeps are without this cz dumb users remove it thinking it will reduce fuel consumption)

9.long wheel base model has a common problem in chassis where the chassis bend a little by the middle just pass the front seat

Thats all i can think of for now, will post if something more comes up to mind :D

Thanks Janith! Your ideas are much much helpful for me. Need small clarification on your 9th point - how can i detect this problem? is it visible?

Again thank you very much for your reply!!

look for following things

-Whether the doors are in good condition(doors are hard to find and very expensive)

-Meters are in original condition

-I thought beyond 31-5*** have good configuration

-Most of the jeeps are diesel converted.better to buy a original one

Dear friends, I wish to buy a 4DR5 long wheel base Mitsubishi jeep and I'm totally new for this type of vehicles. Please advise me the main factors to be considered! Are the spare parts including engine parts are readily available? When I’m evaluating a vehicle in the market, how can I check the engine conditions? I highly appreciate if you guys can help me in this regard. Thank you.

kushna,

This post is a long post but please read same. You have posted to A/L

Need Advises For Buying A 4Dr5 Jeep

I came across one of the A/L members using 4DR5 jeep very recently may have changed number of hands before, and his father who had used this model early in his department days, was interested in buying one of those units after retirement. He has bought one for Rupees I million. In fairly good condition he presented to his son wanted to do it himself to be in good condition because he was employed as software engineer in a leading establishment in Colombo although they were from Matele.

He had some problems with same, mostly battery & brake related matters. Therefore he wrote to the A/L forum seeking some help. Later exchanging few posts to the forum contacted for battery related matter directly me.

I am not trying to impress my posts of the said matter was a superior posts to other members posts. Other members too had given their opinions’ to the forum mostly on this battery related electrical matter was according to him he was not satisfied with others posts.

I wanted him to show his vehicle to me not interested making few rupees from a member of the A/L forum to help this young member because he wanted a trouble free vehicle for him and his father as the vehicle was about 35 years or more 31 Sri.

He showed the vehicle to me and I tested the 24 volts system. Batteries He had changed one battery with maintenance free battery. One was old battery. I have posted the test results to the forum early.

When discussing about 4DR5 jeep engines and gear boxes. He informed that he was having a brakes problem when he operates brakes once or twice his peddle is not that easy to operate stimulatingly for the next when he is on the traffic engine running slow RPM.

I inspected the brake system that had been modified to another new brake master cylinder with a very small vacuum tank he had been advised to change another original tank which comes with the jeep by a mechanic in Mathele which to my knowledge that was good for more vacuum enable for numbers of operations of brake system on traffic movement.

Then He informs me the tanks are very expensive and he has searched on number of jeep spare parts who are dealing with jeep spares old and new quoted high as much as rupees from 5000.00 to 10000.00.

I said can do it very much cheaper with a modification and monitoring meter of vacuum which was fitted in heavy Commercial vehicles. I undertook to do same did in two or three days entire job, with a very much big new cylinder and all including panel board meter cost was under rupees 10000.00.

His father took back the vehicle because he was unable to come;

He later after using the vehicle in Matele informed me the brakes are working perfectly at present.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

WHEN that bugger's brakes go absconding and he ends up going down a mountainside in Matale, please remember, the AL forum has NOTHING to do with it. If he wants to go around doing makabass fixes to save a few bucks and it costs his family more in funeral expenses, its not our fault, it was not recommended here.

WHEN that bugger's brakes go absconding and he ends up going down a mountainside in Matale, please remember, the AL forum has NOTHING to do with it. If he wants to go around doing makabass fixes to save a few bucks and it costs his family more in funeral expenses, its not our fault, it was not recommended here.

Honrable joint moderator Mr.'Pericles',

THIS IS A LONG DETAIL EXPLANATION FOR YOUR POST.

Thanks for your advice post to who got the above modification done by me. It is your sincere opinion.

Also proves the knowledge of what you have in Vacuum brake system.

I humbely request you to log in to brief description on Vacuum brake system to the web pages below.

TO GET SOME KNOWLEDGE OF THE SAID BRAKES

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/200/270/270-99590-1.pdf

http://www.tpub.com/basae/176.htm

It is very good of you as JOINT MODERATOR of Auto lanka Forum. Disclaim the modification what I have done for above said 4 DR5 brake system.With the owners after explaning the system what I go to do. As for his request I did same.

Please note this not the first time I have done This type of modifications I grew up and acquired knowledge with modifications. Do not have any fear to do a modification It is entire my responsibility if the unit is worth 1 million rupees or more. I explain to the person who have a problem to do a modification.

It is his wish to take it or leave it. I never force any body.

I have done this type of modifications for Vacuum brake systems which came in 1950s CTB bus chassis later sold to private sector lorry owners to convert them for lorries. Due to their brake failers there were few accidents so many deths happend due to that CTB was compelled to. Abanded those buses which spares were not avalible to correct them.

The new lorry owners found in round Ceylon they were unable to obtain the test certificate from RMV in Colombo.

later K.K.Madeven and company managing director late Mr. K.K. Madeven bought three buses one for spares. other two he converted to lorries failed to get the test report at RMV Colombo.

Contacted me because I have sorted some electrical and mechanical problems in his bottle toddy factory at Mahwawa kudawewa. In Madmpe.

I undertook to do that job because one CTB Engineer was a very close relation of mine and wanted help from him. He came down with'

12 VERY GOOD MECHANICS WHO HE DID TRUST TO BE VERY GOOD WORKERS AT CTB, BUT ALL OF THEM FAILED.

At last a very senior mechanic from Ratmalana depot was brought BY him and he was a very methodical mechanic from private sector SOUTH WESTERN BUS COMPANY.

His first inspected and he wanted to do some tests. His test request for diagnosis was to find out the vacuum build up in the vacuum system a vacuum meter.

Next day I had to buy a meter and same day after work he arrived and tested the system and told there is a vacuum leak build up was not more tan 8 on the vacuum meter.

His instructions was to remove the brake booster and do a test bench test, which I had facility with a Dynamo Crypton electrical test bench, variable speed I found the fault was on the vacuum booster pump. There were leaks from both side of the shafts.

The vacuum leak from the oil seals, those seals were not available to purchase even in UK, even manufacturer had closed down the manufacturing plant. it was a custom built unit by them. Due to that low brake power no spares. No one in CTB wanted to modify the system, buses were idling in CTB yards.

I later did modify the oil seals and corrected the problem this was the dark era no spares were available freely.

Vacuum reading rose steady to be 25 on the Vacuum meter. Then I found later the two vacuum reserve tanks were corroded, due to correct build up of the vacuum they both started to show vacuum leaks.

There was no option had to replace with a oxygen cylinder which was 1000/= Rupees at that time with a non return valve on the correctly installed so that the vacuum will not go back to the line. only to go to braking system.

Please note I don't do MAKA BASS modifications. I DO MODIFICATIONS WITH MY EXPERIENCE with my responsibility.

I started MY TECHNICAL CARRIER FROM MY CHILD HOOD DAYS working in my late fathers fully equipped work shop for all whatever he handled for almost from 1931 in the same situation, which I do AUTOMOBILE service business.

My late father working at M/S. WALKER SONS COLOMBO as a special apprentise. Joining British army in 1914 serving in RASC overseas Later studying BOSCH Elelecrical systems.

PLEASE DO NOT COME TO CONCLUCTIONS ALL PERSONS WITH A INDUSTRIAL SKILL ARE MAKA BASES.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Just as you want to wash your hands of any responsibility if something goes wrong by saying this -

It is his wish to take it or leave it. I never force any body.

AL has the same disclaimer. AutoLanka has nothing to do, no endorsements, no responsibilities for anything done to that vehicle. That is entirely yours and his responsibility.

As a note of interest, ALL maka basses do things from their "experience". That is how they operate.

Also, please stop saying things like "Honrable joint moderator". Its bad spelling for one thing. You do that again, and I shall start calling you Uncle Sylvi and make sure to request that everyone on the forum addresses you the same way.

Makes me sound like some kinda Ganja dealer.

Just as you want to wash your hands of any responsibility if something goes wrong by saying this -

AL has the same disclaimer. AutoLanka has nothing to do, no endorsements, no responsibilities for anything done to that vehicle. That is entirely yours and his responsibility.

As a note of interest, ALL maka basses do things from their "experience". That is how they operate.

Also, please stop saying things like "Honrable joint moderator". Its bad spelling for one thing. You do that again, and I shall start calling you Uncle Sylvi and make sure to request that everyone on the forum addresses you the same way.

Makes me sound like some kinda Ganja dealer.

'Pericles',

OK PerIcles I did respect you there addressing you in that manner. Not with a intention of insulting you by addressing in that way.

Yes I agree there was a spelling mistake on my post I apologize for same.

It should read as ' honorary. You are threatening me to call me in unwanted way. Whatever that is your wish you are one authority on this forum.

I cannot understand this Autolanka forum is the only forum I have come across members insulting in unexpected ways to other members.

If you read you will come across reputed manufactures recall their tested sold automobiles in thousands when they find they are not up to the expectation.

I have done few international responsible assignments where machinery was involved some times I find those machinery do not perform their maximum efficiency due to short comings.

I do my own modifications according to my knowledge. Later I present all detail modifications, on what point of the machine I have done, with all drawings for the manufactures perusal.

When they find they are satisfactorily working, all new machines were modified with those modifications and extra funds are allocated to modify said early machines.

late Dr, A.N.S. Kulasinghe did several experiments to get prestressed concrete popular in SL. late Government factory engineer Mr. G.S. Fernando did several experiments to get turbine power stations going. Late CGR Engineer, Mr. B.D. Rampala got a Diesel locomotive engine going when foreign engineers were reluctant to drive back from Galle due to a electrical cable fault. They all did experiments and modifications.

World authorites accept SL tallent BUT A/L forum disagree to modyfications.

I am writing to several international forums all members exchange there experiences and experiments they do for automobiles this A/L is the forum which do disagree to any modifications what members do and they do not want to deviate from manufactures specifications.

This is my opinion.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

It should read as ' honorary. You are threatening me to call me in unwanted way. Whatever that is your wish you are one authority on this forum.

That would be because you are calling me in an unwanted way.

And since you are so proud of your Queens English standard, you should use a dictionary and look up what that word means. Feel free to use google. Then you might understand why I feel that way.

That would be because you are calling me in an unwanted way.

And since you are so proud of your Queens English standard, you should use a dictionary and look up what that word means. Feel free to use google. Then you might understand why I feel that way.

Pericles,

I don t think that word is unwanted way of calling to you.

Because you requested I Google that word. The meaning according to results shows.

unpaid, voluntary <an honorary chairman> (of a secretary, treasurer, etc) unpaid

Sinhalese English dictionary says. A service with no fee or reward.

So I hope there is no reason for you to get offended by addressing my self to you on that way. May be that you don't like my way of addressing.

I was under the impression that Auto Lanka forum, is there to help motoring community day to day problems propping up in their Automobiles in our country. More over who become new motorists and you are the moderator doing a free valuable service to motorists.

I am aware that money is generated from the advertisements which has a separate website which is very popular among the Automobile buyers.

I only answered 1st few words of your post to you. I will refrain from answering the second few words of yours

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Pericles,

I don t think that word is unwanted way of calling to you.

Because you requested I Google that word. The meaning according to results shows.

unpaid, voluntary <an honorary chairman> (of a secretary, treasurer, etc) unpaid

What is this? English Class?

http://www.lmgtfy.co...efine:honorary

hon·or·ar·y/ˈänəˌrerē/

Adjective:

• Conferred as an honor, without the usual requirements or functions.

• Holding such a title or position.

I think the moderators have requirements and functions. Its not honorary.

Trying to put in on part B of the third option on Webster? Did you miss the first few definitions?

Definition of HONORARY

a
:
having or conferring distinction

b
:
commemorative

:
dependent on
honor
for fulfillment

a
:
conferred or elected in recognition of achievement or service without the usual prerequisites or obligations <an
honorary
degree> <an
honorary
member>

b
:
unpaid
voluntary
<an
honorary
chairman>

Wiki has the full context so you can understand it better -

An honorary position is given as an honor, with no duties attached, and without payment

Also, it is an incorrect clarification to the original post, which said Honorable.

So - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific

An honorific is a word or expression with connotations conveying esteem or respect when used in addressing or referring to a person. Sometimes, the term is used not quite correctly to refer to an honorary title.

that usage was incorrect. And even if it was -

http://en.wikipedia....rable#Sri_Lanka

Sri Lanka

In Sri Lanka, the following people are entitled to the style The Honourable :

Forum moderators do NOT belong in those groups.

English class is over.

Edited by Pericles
Formatting

What is this? English Class?

http://www.lmgtfy.co...efine:honorary

hon·or·ar·y/ˈänəˌrerē/

Adjective:

• Conferred as an honor, without the usual requirements or functions.

• Holding such a title or position.

I think the moderators have requirements and functions. Its not honorary.

Trying to put in on part B of the third option on Webster? Did you miss the first few definitions?

Definition of HONORARY

a
:
having or conferring distinction

b
:

:
dependent on
for fulfillment

a
:
conferred or elected in recognition of achievement or service without the usual prerequisites or obligations <an
honorary
degree> <an
honorary
member>

b
:
<an
honorary
chairman>

Wiki has the full context so you can understand it better -

An honorary position is given as an honor, with no duties attached, and without payment

Also, it is an incorrect clarification to the original post, which said Honorable.

So - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honorific

An honorific is a word or expression with connotations conveying esteem or respect when used in addressing or referring to a person. Sometimes, the term is used not quite correctly to refer to an honorary title.

that usage was incorrect. And even if it was -

http://en.wikipedia....rable#Sri_Lanka

Sri Lanka

In Sri Lanka, the following people are entitled to the style The Honourable :

Forum moderators do NOT belong in those groups.

English class is over.

'Pericles',

It very kind of you to waste your valuable time, thank you very mush for educating me.During last stages of my life.

With the word Definition of HONORARY. During I had my education there was no Computers WWW as well as such engines like Google.

During my young days I used to be in law courts most lawyers address the high court judges by My lord or your honour.

Therefore I was always used to give respect in that way. I always do respect you as the moderator.

There was no animosity with you. I once wrote to you during the past one A/L member PM TO me informing me that he is known to me for a long time, I still do not know who is this member. not to get involved with this A/L forum he was mentioning you as a gentleman. But some members are not like you.

You advised me when I was humiliated and I too retaliated for those who posted to me in past wanted me to report by using Report facility on the post.

I should notify moderator instead of taking the matter by my self to post in unwanted posts to those members. Even few weeks back I have used that.

Penalty of four waning points which I have so far.

I hope this above post is clear explanation to you. Reason to use that word.

Once again if I have done any damage to your image by my post addressing to you with that word, I request a Apology from you.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear friends, I wish to buy a 4DR5 long wheel base Mitsubishi jeep and I'm totally new for this type of vehicles. Please

advise me the main factors to be considered! Are the spare parts including engine parts are readily available? When I’m

evaluating a vehicle in the market, how can I check the engine conditions? I highly appreciate if you guys can help me in

this regard. Thank you.

Hi Kushana

I got my 4DR5 sometime back after inspecting 17 jeeps. I found some are illegal and they have some number on chassis

and another on books. So I will list down what I looked when I buy it.

1. As Janith explained it well, check documents. the book specially. chassis no is important. if you can get the book checked

from RMB as well. Mostly the engine number may differ because most of the time its not the original engine we have on

those jeeps

2. As janith said, "chassis bend a little by the middle just pass the front seat" you can see it by looking at very carefully

under the passenger seat chassis

3. check any cracks on chassis

4. Read this post [ it has more important

facts about testing the engine and all. [Thanks to Saturn who posted it.]

5. As said, Check 4WD works fine. Because most people disengage it even from the gear box when problem comes [Those

who think they don't need 4WD]. If so you ask them why they did it and may be if the vehicle is in good condition you can

reduce the price so that you can get it fixed.

6. Most of the times, I have seen that; sellers tune brakes to its optimum level so that you will feel that it has been

maintained well. But If you bring a good mechanical person, he can try it and see if there are things to be fixed such as

when you brake suddenly the vehicle may move to a side either left or right.

7. See any modifications the current owner has done to the jeep and any damages he has done to the chassis ..etc like

suspension changes.

8. Like the above post I mentioned, check for body damages, any corrosion or you may need to have to do tinkering as

well which you may cost little high and check the canopy as well.

Its good to remember that, as these vehicles are old you may find some repairs need. If you are lucky you can find a good

vehicle and my suggestion is that if you can spend little extra money and try getting a good one such as if you need AC and

PS on your jeep, try finding one that has those instead of getting one and fixing them. Because that may cost more money

and your time as well.

Happy finding one. :)

Sylvi if you dont know what you're saying you shouldnt lie. You dont call a judge "my lord".. This is not Mrs. Perera and Mrs. Silva gossiping about who's having an affair with who.. It's Your Lordship and Your Honour. If you insist on dragging a history lesson into this thread at least be accurate!

Mods, dont you think sylvi has defecated on this thread enough with his useless rambling?