• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Why Does Headlight Brightness Reduce?

Pramuditha.d

Question

I have a nissan bluebird year 2000 b/w car. The headlight brightness is very low. I have used 90W genuine headlghts. Alternator and battery are 90 amps and working properly.

can anyone explain cause for this issue?

is there a possibility to corrupt copper wires when electricity transafers long time and the resistance will increase of the wires?

If I do the wiring again with thick wires can I solve this matter?

Regards

Pramuditha

5 answers to this question

PVC insulated wires do not get aging effects in 12 years (in a Japanese car).

One possibility is that the clips inside the bulb holder is oxidized and presenting a voltage drop due to high contact resistance. Try cleaning them (use a sand paper and a Big safety pin). It may help resolve the problem.

If you suspect that the wiring harness has an insulation breakdown; you can check it by providing a direct supply from the battery to the lamp. If the brightness increases; then the fault can be the wiring harness or holder.or switch.

• Like 1

I have a nissan bluebird year 2000 b/w car. The headlight brightness is very low. I have used 90W genuine headlghts. Alternator and battery are 90 amps and working properly.

can anyone explain cause for this issue?

is there a possibility to corrupt copper wires when electricity transafers long time and the resistance will increase of the wires?

If I do the wiring again with thick wires can I solve this matter?

Regards

Pramuditha

When did you last replace your headlight bulbs?

Halogen lights does not last forever and when they ages, their light output gets reduced instead of blowing themselves up. In that case, you need to buy a good set of lights. I recommend Philips and Osrams.

You can do a simple test. Select a time when the car is cold (Morning before you drive off) and switch on the head lights for about 20 - 30 seconds. While they are on, touch the connectors (save for the one directly on the bulb), wires and the fuse box to see if anything is getting heated up. If so you have a dirty or dry connection or bad wires (Unlikely) . If not it must be the bulb unless of course your battery is down.

• Like 1