• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery

kmcsb

today morning it was hard to start up my car...after some cracks car starts then i rushy go to battry shop and showed it to them..he told one of my cell has died..so i replazed with exide ultimate battery (maintance free)..then he chk the condition with voltermetr...and told battery only charged when put ac (14.3v +/-) ..he told me tht be a probem in alternator.. is that right..wil it be IC??

wht you thik guys???is honda alternator IC expensive more??? how abut recondition one???

today morning it was hard to start up my car...after some cracks car starts then i rushy go to battry shop and showed it to them..he told one of my cell has died..so i replazed with exide ultimate battery (maintance free)..then he chk the condition with voltermetr...and told battery only charged when put ac (14.3v +/-) ..he told me tht be a probem in alternator.. is that right..wil it be IC??

wht you thik guys???is honda alternator IC expensive more??? how abut recondition one???

You should be find a reconditioned one, my one was replaced 2.5 years back with a reconditioned one.

From your explanation it seems the battery replacement might not have been necessary.

Yes, when the AC is running the alternator normally gives out a higher current (cos its needed to work the AC's clutch. But what's the voltage across the battery when the car is idling with no AC?

• Like 1

ok wht you have done is now done.why didnt u visit ur electrician in the first plc rather than meet your battry shop? not familiar with honda. but if its not charging well i dont think it will be a huge thing. replacing some brushes in alternator might solve your problem. go & meet a good electrician. asap other wice the new battery will too get dead fast. avoid using ur CD setup & unnessary electric item till you sort out.

i just replzed my battery beacuse its already passed 2 1/2 years..also battery guy told me tht one cell has died...it's not good to my alternator also ter electric devices....is t ok no??

will replzing Alternator IC cost low or high??need any special honda Ic or will it ok with universal ones??

also buying reconditon one is litle bit risky...hw much will be reconditon one??

Edited by kmcsb

I do not know which model of Honda you are referring to but according to your observations I assume you have what is called an Electronic Load Detection (ELD) device in your car. If so first check the battery voltage without electrical loads (no AC, headlights etc) and engine at 2000 rpm. You should get a reading of just below 13.5V. Then switch on the headlights and AC and check the voltage again. It should be more than 13.8V. If so you do NOT have a problem with your alternator. It is just a feature of charging systems fitted with an ELD to show lower voltage on light electrical loads. (I would not be surprised if some makabass advises you to change the alternator because of this feature). If you do not get these readings then you may have a issue like alternator brushes or, in some rare cases, with the regulator.

Edited by Rumesh88
  • Like 1

i got eg8 single carb.. i ve notice when i start the car and chk its only around 12v and i switched on AC its getting aroud 13v +/- ..

I hope the figures given were taken at 2000rpm. If so you need to get your alternator brushes checked. Also please note that it is not sufficient to measure the voltage with an accuracy of 13+/- etc. Instead you must check with a digital volt/multimeter to at least accuracy of one decimal point (Like 13.4 etc). A couple of decimal points make a huge difference.

• 1 month later...

will replazing bushes can do any technician..is ita easy job??? and can find bushes easily..or i have to loaf panchikawatha..hw abut the prices???

how abut reconditon alternator?? how am i chk a good alternator befor buying???what should i conceded before buying??

• 1 month later...
will faulty alternator effect my fuel economy??

Not very significantly but if you disconnect your alternator you would get better mileage and if your alternator is over-charging the battery you would get less mileage. However, in either the case your battery will be irreversibly penalized!