• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can There Be A Difference In The Pulling Power With The Fuel Level?

Explorer

Experts,

Can there be a difference in the pulling power with respect to the fuel level in my tank? Or is it just because the quality of the fuel??

This morning I experienced this strange thing, I was running low on petrol and I didn't feel a difference in the pulling power.

I stopped at a gas station and pumped petrol (full tank). Low fuel indicator was on but I found a gas station within 2-3 Kms (didn't drive more than that with my low fuel indicator on)

Just after pumping fuel, my engine was running like crazy, Pulling power was much stronger.

Can it be due to an issue with fuel pumping system (donno whether it is the correct name for the parts responsible for taking petrol from the tank to the engine) in my car? or can it be the quality of fuel?

Not an expert, but I do get the same vibes from my car (when low on fuel, there is a minute drag on performance which is not there when fuelled up. you don't really notice it until the moment you pump a full tank after emptying the tank).

My fuel filter is part of the fuel pump assembly and never has been replaced (90k on the clock) and most forums for my car model indicate that fuel pump/filter assembly don't need replacing for the lifetime of the car, unless obviously broken.

I plan to remove the tank and clean the system fully to see if it goes away - and also check on the status of the fuel pump while I'm at it.

But if your car is relatively new, might be cause for immediate concern.

Experts,

Can there be a difference in the pulling power with respect to the fuel level in my tank? Or is it just because the quality of the fuel??

This morning I experienced this strange thing, I was running low on petrol and I didn't feel a difference in the pulling power.

I stopped at a gas station and pumped petrol (full tank). Low fuel indicator was on but I found a gas station within 2-3 Kms (didn't drive more than that with my low fuel indicator on)

Just after pumping fuel, my engine was running like crazy, Pulling power was much stronger.

Can it be due to an issue with fuel pumping system (donno whether it is the correct name for the parts responsible for taking petrol from the tank to the engine) in my car? or can it be the quality of fuel?

The only possible explanation is an issue with the fuel tank breather valve. As you can understand as the fuel empties air needs to flow into the tank to fill the void, else pumping petrol becomes a little difficult. Get it checked out.

Generally speaking fuel level on cars will not have an impact on performance.