• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

3Kva Step Down Transformer To Power American 110-120 Volt Tools

jalapeno

Hi

Where can I buy a 3000 watt step down transformer to convert local 220-230 volt supply to 110-12- volts?

I have a DeWalt compound miter saw that is an American import, so it is 110volt. Saw is around 1800 watts so I need a 3kva / 3000 watt transformer to comfortably run it.

Thanks

Im not sure if you will able to sort such a high wattage transformer from local electronics stores. Try robert electronics, Silvertones or Orel Solutions - Farnell products. If they dont have it I think the best solution is to winde one locally or try to buy one online.

Im not sure if you will able to sort such a high wattage transformer from local electronics stores. Try robert electronics, Silvertones or Orel Solutions - Farnell products. If they dont have it I think the best solution is to winde one locally or try to buy one online.

Hi

Thanks for the response. Whereabouts in Colombo are those stores located?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the response. Whereabouts in Colombo are those stores located?

Thanks

If I may answer that , Robert Agencies is on Reclamation Rd, Silvertones on Vauxhall St., Orel Solutions at Old Kottawa Rd Navinna (But searchfor product and price (STG) at http://export.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp?_DARGS=/jsp/home/exportHome.jsp_A&_DAV=en_EX_DIRECTEXP&CMP=exBl ). But at the same time can you please check with places like Crown Investment who sell 110V used products from Japan.

If I may answer that , Robert Agencies is on Reclamation Rd, Silvertones on Vauxhall St., Orel Solutions at Old Kottawa Rd Navinna (But searchfor product and price (STG) at http://export.farnell.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp?_DARGS=/jsp/home/exportHome.jsp_A&_DAV=en_EX_DIRECTEXP&CMP=exBl ). But at the same time can you please check with places like Crown Investment who sell 110V used products from Japan.

Will head over to Robert Agencies ; am looking at their website now. Looks like 2000 Volt Amps (2000 watt) is the max they have.

Just gave Crown Investments a call, and the Max Watt they have is 500 ; so not enough for me.

Will visit Orel Solutions also , since they are in Colombo.

Thanks

Edited by jalapeno

Went to Silvertones today; they could build an enclosed 3kva transfor but the cost is 50,000 rs ....ouch!

About a week ago went to a shop in Pettah who said they could build 3kva for 30-35,000 rs.

Orel Solutions does not have such high wattage transformers in stock and can only order 1000watt but said I could check Farnell website and see if they have a 3kva.

Will go to Robert agencies tomorrow and ask if they have a 3kva even though their website only lists 2000 watt.

Went to Silvertones today; they could build an enclosed 3kva transfor but the cost is 50,000 rs ....ouch!

About a week ago went to a shop in Pettah who said they could build 3kva for 30-35,000 rs.

Orel Solutions does not have such high wattage transformers in stock and can only order 1000watt but said I could check Farnell website and see if they have a 3kva.

Will go to Robert agencies tomorrow and ask if they have a 3kva even though their website only lists 2000 watt.

I've seen ones on ebay. shipping is a bit steep due to weight i suppose but those are still cheaper than the rates you've got

50k is way too much, even though their work is good. Try few other places you might be able to make one below 20k.
I've seen ones on ebay. shipping is a bit steep due to weight i suppose but those are still cheaper than the rates you've got

Heading back to the US soon so may not buy one here. Ofcoure this means I can't use my DeWalt now but will be back in a few months and may bring one with me.

Heading back to the US soon so may not buy one here. Ofcoure this means I can't use my DeWalt now but will be back in a few months and may bring one with me.

ebay ones too look cheap and i'm guessing stepping down is helped by electronics and not really by a wound up transformer. Cos the units look pretty compact.

Have been seaching local classifieds and came across a few but nothing solid...

These have to be available in local market as quite a few used jap stuff sellers have 110 tools for sale.