• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Express-Way Updates

Le Sabre

Question

Drive carefully. I saw a sign saying road is getting smaller ahead. Near Kathuduwa overhead bridge.

The Expressway is narrower near bridge locations. Only the hard shoulder is narrowing as the width of bridges are not enough for same shoulder width. Proper signs have been installed to enlighten drivers.

hey you dont have to feel bad for claiming what's yours.

I think at least people should put a foot note pointing to the source :)

Watchman, Myself, Pericles all do photography as a hobby so we understand where you're coming from.

Also nice to meet a fellow canon shooter! shoot with a 50d myself...waiting to go for a 5d mk2 :)

Hey, Thanks.. it's all my pleasure. We have to get people into correct track with proper advise rather than scolding I guess.

I do have 550D Rebel T2i. Ooops 5D Mk2 is a dream for me as this is a hobby of mine. Let's meet in different ways.

Will they actually stop driving in the middle of the road once this is opened? :jumping-smiley-013:

Media and higher level organization like RDA, Government, etc should start some kind of education programs to educate drivers.

What media upto regarding this matter is a question. Let's propose goden half and hour from 7.30-8.00 in all TV channel to start talking about the Expressway in Constructively.

I dunno about you guys, but I ain't setting foot on that thing for at least six months after it's opened. With the way our buggers drive you never know. I'm gonna wait untill the dust settles.

Two schools of thought Big D. IF (and this is a hypothetical if) there is something behind this shoddy Chinese construction rumours, you might want to travel while its new and before bridges and overpasses start collapsing. Bits are supposed to have collapsed already, right?

Media and higher level organization like RDA, Government, etc should start some kind of education programs to educate drivers.

What media upto regarding this matter is a question. Let's propose goden half and hour from 7.30-8.00 in all TV channel to start talking about the Expressway in Constructively.

I saw on the Rupavahini news, they are saying that the every vehicle should use the left track, and the right track should only be used to overtake another vehicle. But same time the video shows a vehicle which has the Rupavahini logo on it going in the middle of the road. :jumping-smiley-013:

Two schools of thought Big D. IF (and this is a hypothetical if) there is something behind this shoddy Chinese construction rumours, you might want to travel while its new and before bridges and overpasses start collapsing. Bits are supposed to have collapsed already, right?

A metal underpass structure was collapsed in Japanese Contractor's section in Poddala killing a boy. They have re-done it using concrete and now the location is fully completed.

see the location present situation

Southern Expressway (E01) at 89+100

A metal underpass structure was collapsed in Japanese Contractor's section in Poddala killing a boy. They have re-done it using concrete and now the location is fully completed.

He is correct. All Metal Bridges has been re-done using concrete. Double cost for the Government.

I saw on the Rupavahini news, they are saying that the every vehicle should use the left track, and the right track should only be used to overtake another vehicle. But same time the video shows a vehicle which has the Rupavahini logo on it going in the middle of the road. :jumping-smiley-013:

the whole driving on left track is true for all roads mate. i was once pulled over for driving on the right lane on a sunday when the whole bloody road was almost clear. Cop pulled out a charge sheet and showed me that you can only use the right lane for overtaking and to avoid an accident. ANything else you'd better be on the left lane :D

I dunno about you guys, but I ain't setting foot on that thing for at least six months after it's opened. With the way our buggers drive you never know. I'm gonna wait untill the dust settles.

Me too.Er... I'll wait for more than six months definitely.

the whole driving on left track is true for all roads mate. i was once pulled over for driving on the right lane on a sunday when the whole bloody road was almost clear. Cop pulled out a charge sheet and showed me that you can only use the right lane for overtaking and to avoid an accident. ANything else you'd better be on the left lane :D

lol ya that is the rule, but practically can we follow it in ALL dual carriage ways in SL? One day I was traveling on the left lane near Devi Balika, I just only passed the railway crossing, then left lane ended up in a 3 wheeler garage. :jumping-smiley-013:

That is the practical situation in all dual carriage ways in SL, most of the time left lane is for parking. Here actually in normal roads we can't follow lanes, due to various practical reasons.

But I hope that thing will not be happened in E01. If people started to go here and there then it will be a really mess.

And another pure example in SL lane follwing is the new colpety bamba road. There are nice 4 lanes, is anyone going in lanes? It is all a mess. :action-smiley-060:

Edited by Ek3 Ferio

Any compensation paid for the boy's family? WAs anyone charged with negligence?

Any compensation paid for the boy's family? WAs anyone charged with negligence?

It is said that compensation of 5 million Rupees was made to the boy's family by the Japaneese contractor.

President appointed a committee to investigate the incident those days. They revealed that metal arch structures are solid if they are built according to the manufacture's specifications. The specific issue has been occured due to the violation of specifications by builders.

By the way you would be interested to read these write-ups

http://uthum.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/metal-underpass-collapse-during-construction/

http://uthum.wordpress.com/2009/05/28/what-an-unfortunate-incidence/

Was the family harassed by workers and supervisors for a percentage of the compensation? Isn't that the normal modus operandi of your construction types? I remember a neighbor who met with an accident with a RDA worker. The courts asked him to pay compensation to the worker and and his friends harassed both the accused and victim for a 'cut'... :)

Did you get a Ticket?

+1

Yep thought the same thing, let the excitement die out slowly and all the morons who want to kill themselves trying to fly die first.

Edited by The Stig

@Californikan, Thanks for using my photo of the Expressway! They are actually published in

I took these photos with the canon PowerShot A640 and EOS 550D (T2i) cameras!

I was wondering if I could shameless request instead of puting same images here from our Sirilaka.org's Flickr page for attribution could you link the site address anywhere else in next time? Hope you are not angree with me. This will encourage me to put more and more photos for you to see.

On behalf of

Sirilaka.org

Thanks Uthum. You are very gracious.

I have added attribution and a link to your page on my original post. I actually came across your photos not through flickr, but on another forum. They had just posted a link to the raw images so I did not know whose profile or what page on flickr they came from.

Great photos. It would be nice for you to post more, and to let us know as you do post more.

I heard the structure that collapsed was built by a local subcontractor hired by the main Japanese contractor, and it collapsed because the subcontractor did not follow design specifications and used shortcuts and inadequate materials.

@Scooter, the Southern Expressway is exceptional case when you compare other roads in Sri Lanka. In fact this is first Expressway in Sri Lanka, that has almost all international standards.

I constantly wonder why they did not cut rumble strips onto the hard shoulders and put reflectors every so many meters on the metal crash barriers. These are simple cheap things that greatly reduce accidents on expressways.

(This is a rumble strip for those who don't know)

rumble%2Bstrip.jpg

http://www.seattlecaraccidentlawyerblog.com/2009/09/rumble_strips_lower_car_accide.html

According to very credible info the police will be given Subaru legacy wagons (22 units) Impreza(9 units) 9 Yamaha bikes. There will also be 6 Nissan patrols and 8 x-trails for the operations and maintenance team.

Ultimately there will be close to 495 police personnel attached to the expressway police division so GOOD LUCK :rolleyes:

Edited by malla

According to very credible info the police will be given Subaru legacy wagons (22 units) Impreza(9 units) 9 Yamaha bikes. There will also be 6 Nissan patrols and 8 x-trails for the operations and maintenance team.

Been playing too much NFS have we?

PS: dont take Dad's prado and try ram through them ok? You dont get points for it.

• Like 5

Ultimately there will be close to 495 police personnel attached to the expressway police division so GOOD LUCK :rolleyes:

Wow news indeed. Considering that long before you NFS boys were in your jangies, the SL Police were driving Subaru Leone's and then Imprezas... :) SENOK was supplying to the government long before Subaru became a household name. Leone's were brought down for ASPs (80s) and the Imprezas were given to the Education ministry back in the 90s.

Them getting Subarus now is no big deal.

• Like 1