• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota To Give Up Hybrid,electrics And Focus On Fuel Cells?

osaka_dude

when Toyota tied the knot with Tesla 4 years ago,it seemed like a big boost for the electrification of power-train.

looks like things are changing a bit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/business/energy-environment/seeing-future-in-fuel-cells-toyota-ends-tesla-deal.html?_r=0

any ideas if these fuel-cell Vehicles will hit our roads or if they will create a hype like Hybrids at all?

Edited by osaka_dude
  • Like 2

Well Toyota was serious about the hybrid fuel-cell vehicle when they showed a concept model at the motor-show last year. I believe since a few years ago they have quite a few prototypes (Kluger/Highlander and stuff) given out to various Universities/Ministries/etc.. for trial runs.They seem pretty determined to have a mainstream model out by 2015/2016. Nissan/Renault wanted something out by 2017 and Honda by 2019/2020 ?

At the end of the day these FCVs need hydrogen stations, so I guess the success and the adoption of these cars in SL would hinge on how extensive the hydrogen station network would develop and how fast it would happen followed on by how much the hydrogen fuel it self costs.As I understand the price of hydrogen fuel is more expensive than petrol on a per-lieter basis. But then a hydrogen "engine" is a lot more efficient than a gasoline one so the overall fuel costs for running a FCV is only marginally higher ? <sorry I have no idea about hydrogen engines>. So...adoption in SL...hmmm...it is kind of like the double edged sword.

In Japan there apparently are quite a few stations (I have seen only three) with the government having a task force or something of the sort to guide the expansion ?

Edited by iRage
  • Like 2

I think fuell cell vehicles are closer to the concept of Electric vehicles with smaller engine as a Range extender to charge the battery in real time.
1.unlike hybrids,wheels are always driven by electric motor without a mechanical link to any other source like an Engine.
2.the fuell-cell uses stored hydrogen and oxygen from atmosphere to create electricity and charge the battery faster on the move,so that the range is not limited like current Electric cars.

IMO,a fuell cell should be cheaper than a traditional combustion Engine to produce.
That should be the reason why Toyota seems to think Fuell cell as the future solution.
But as Irage says,infrastructure development for storing hydrogen would be required.
or someone will come up with portable hydrogen tanks like in the "gas cars" we had a few years ago?
since vehicles with fuelcells available so far(ex:Mercedes-Benz F800:136PS ,range 600 kilometres with 5.2 kilograms of hydrogen!) seem quite luxurious and sporty,seems like a real alternative for traditional engines.

Edited by osaka_dude
  • Like 4

I think fuell cell vehicles are closer to the concept of Electric vehicles with smaller engine as a Range extender to charge the battery in real time.

1.unlike hybrids,wheels are always driven by electric motor without a mechanical link to any other source like an Engine.

2.the fuell-cell uses stored hydrogen and oxygen from atmosphere to create electricity and charge the battery faster on the move,so that the range is not limited like current Electric cars.

IMO,a fuell cell should be cheaper than a traditional combustion Engine to produce.

That should be the reason why Toyota seems to think Fuell cell as the future solution.

But as Irage says,infrastructure development for storing hydrogen would be required.

or someone will come up with portable hydrogen tanks like in the "gas cars" we had a few years ago?

since vehicles with fuelcells available so far(ex:Mercedes-Benz F800:136PS ,range 600 kilometres with 5.2 kilograms of hydrogen!) seem quite luxurious and sporty,seems like a real alternative for traditional engines.

So what kind of product recalls are u expecting from fuel cell vehicles?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...