• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Shock Absobers

sira

Dear All

I need to change my rear and front shocks. need to know what are the good shock absorber

I 've heard KYB ok but after some time it get hard. is that correct? heard that brand called tokiko, any experience with that?

sira

I believe the factory fitted shocks comes with Ek3 is Showa. If you replace the shocks through agent, most probably that would be the one that they would install. Unless you are doing a performance upgrade in your car, the Showa shocks will provide you the expected level of comfort and handling for an EK3 Civic.

Since showa is expensive and bit hard to come by, I have installed genuine KYB shocks to my car and after about 25 000 kms, it still runs geat. Haven't felt any hardness in the shocks. Apart from that, KYB is the stock shocks for Toyota vehicles. So i doubt that the shock getting hard could be an urban myth (At least on genuine shocks though).

However, I have no experience on tokiko shocks.

Edited by Amila_Silva
  • Like 1

I believe the factory fitted shocks comes with Ek3 is Showa. If you replace the shocks through agent, most probably that would be the one that they would install. Unless you are doing a performance upgrade in your car, the Showa shocks will provide you the expected level of comfort and handling for an EK3 Civic.

Since showa is expensive and bit hard to come by, I have installed genuine KYB shocks to my car and after about 25 000 kms, it still runs geat. Haven't felt any hardness in the shocks. Apart from that, KYB is the stock shocks for Toyota vehicles. So i doubt that the shock getting hard could be an urban myth (At least on genuine shocks though).

However, I have no experience on tokiko shocks.

Amila, so called hardness in the shocks is not something you feel late in its life time but early. It only happens if:

You do not preassurise the shocks properly when they are installed originally, but even this disappears after a while

You replace with gas shocks when the originals were hydraulic as the gas shocks seem to be a bit harder but also hardier so lasts longer

You replace with the wrong type (like shocks meant for the JDM with shocks meant for the export)

You replace with non OEM but this is a rare occurence as all manufacturers try to manufacture very close to the original spec

Amila, so called hardness in the shocks is not something you feel late in its life time but early. It only happens if:

You do not preassurise the shocks properly when they are installed originally, but even this disappears after a while

You replace with gas shocks when the originals were hydraulic as the gas shocks seem to be a bit harder but also hardier so lasts longer

You replace with the wrong type (like shocks meant for the JDM with shocks meant for the export)

You replace with non OEM but this is a rare occurence as all manufacturers try to manufacture very close to the original spec

Hey Don!, Very nice explanation :)

Yes I do remember that they preasurised the shocks by using a hard cardboard type of thing. I didn't realize the use of it at that time and now I know thanks to you.