• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Dash Board Meter

malinda7

Dear friends,

the dash board meter pannel (milage / trip indicator) has filled with carbon (black) kind of color. therefore, please share your experince when cleaning this part. the below attached image marked in red color is the area which is reffered my issue.

2gtsq54.jpg

Edited by malinda7

First of all, this could be a glitch in the small display that is there, which may need replacement,

Anyways if you are sure if it is carbon or soot,

This looks like a Japanese vehicle, it would have helped if you were specific, as your question is vague, this answer will be too.

Usually these gauge clusters are covered by a piece of trim, black, grey, walnut etc, usually with or without screws,

If there are no visible screws, you might be able to pull it out, however be very careful as you might end up ripping it apart, better if you can find out this step through a service manual etc

If there are switches attached to this trim, you may remove the clips and disconnect the switches.

Once the trim is out of the way, the gauge cluster is very likely to be mounted to the firewall using brackets, the gauge cluster is attached to these brackets with screws usually 2-4, A long magnetic Philips (+) screw driver will be useful as if you drop any screw behind the dash board, you might end up with a life long rattle.

Once these screws are off, its a matter of lifting off the gauge cluster, but do not yank it out, make note to slowly remove the 2-3 wire harness plugs attached to the board, if it has a mechanical cable for speedo ( NAME MAKE YOM would have helped!) Disengage it carefully.

Once the entire gauge cluster is free, remove it and place it on a clean table, Usually the Transparent cover is held by clamps, 3-4 around the gauge cluster,

Simply unclamp using a soft tool.

If the transparent cover is hazed, I'd recommend a little bit of rubbing compound (3M / V cut / etc) a very mild wipe can do wonders.

Matter of wiping the display with a lint free cloth and everything else.

I do not recommend touching or removing the needles as it can mess up the calibration.

While you are at it I'd recommend changing the bulbs to LEDs. And masking possible holes where dirt can get in.

Reassemble in the same order.

All the best

• Like 1