• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Vitz 1000cc Vibration issue

ColomboRox

12 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Dont be that upset about the 3cylinder vibration issue. If its not that much of a discomfort why change the vehicle specifically for that while there are people wasting around 7million to buy 3 cylinder vehicles (honda civic). And also the new 3 series 

3 cylinder cars are not necessarily bad. of cause they can not be smooth as a 4 cylinder. So is 4 cylinder compared to a 6, or 6 to 8, 8 to 12.

But in terms of efficiency for small engine especially sub 1000 cc. translating into better fuel economy and efficiency, this is one of the reasons even most of the high end manufactures opting to 3 cylinders for their base models. (BMW, Audi).

Engine vibrations can be countered to certain extent by counter balance shafts, fly wheel, higher idle, better engine mounts. Most of the time you really don't feel it. 

My BIL had a 1000 cc Vitz for almost 10 years, did over 100k, maintained the car well, changed engine mounts with originals midway when the rubber was getting stiff with age. Vibration was never an issue. Of cause it could never compete with a 4 port for smoothness especially when idling or at hard acceleration.

In Sri Lanka current duty regime has a huge advantage for 1000 cc or less engines which is not a bad thing for buyers, especially when the price difference of 1000cc and 1500 cc is over Rs. 3M (duty only).

6 hours ago, kush said:

3 cylinder cars are not necessarily bad. of cause they can not be smooth as a 4 cylinder. So is 4 cylinder compared to a 6, or 6 to 8, 8 to 12.

But in terms of efficiency for small engine especially sub 1000 cc. translating into better fuel economy and efficiency, this is one of the reasons even most of the high end manufactures opting to 3 cylinders for their base models. (BMW, Audi).

Engine vibrations can be countered to certain extent by counter balance shafts, fly wheel, higher idle, better engine mounts. Most of the time you really don't feel it. 

My BIL had a 1000 cc Vitz for almost 10 years, did over 100k, maintained the car well, changed engine mounts with originals midway when the rubber was getting stiff with age. Vibration was never an issue. Of cause it could never compete with a 4 port for smoothness especially when idling or at hard acceleration.

In Sri Lanka current duty regime has a huge advantage for 1000 cc or less engines which is not a bad thing for buyers, especially when the price difference of 1000cc and 1500 cc is over Rs. 3M (duty only).

But this is sri lanka 

Where people would not hesitate to buy a 7million car unknowingly paying more than 500 000 to the sales guy than importing himself and then cry on having to replace the engine monts for few thousand and vibrate his bones off for the rest of his life.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2017 at 10:32 AM, ColomboRox said:

Hi All,

I have been facing a little issue with my car (Vitz 2008 1000cc mileage - 71000) since some time now, which is show some vibration all the time when the car drives slowly(maybe we cannot fell at some considerable speed.)  or at park mode or Neutral (lesser vibration) ,

Once I did engine calibration(as the person said) it solved up to certain extend but after some time I got this again..

Question 1 : why this can happen?

Can you guys guide me to solve this issue.? (technically and place –low cost J)

Thanks

Hi Mate,

Not sure whether you could fix the issue so far. Is your issue with an abnormal vibration as car is moving slowly but not idling ?  What was the rpm (roughly) at the highest level of vibration ?  Do you get the same vibration when you move at higher speeds  ( increase / reduce or same) ?  

Note on 3 cylinder vs 4 cylinder:

As others commented , dynamic balance of the 3 pod engines are lower that of 4 pods due the angle of the cam with respect to the firing of a 4-stroke engine.  This is the reason why not many car manufactures concerned on 3-pods several years back. But 3 pod engines have several advantages over 4 pods, such as lower friction (less surface to volume ratio), lower weight of the engine block, lower, more room for cabin space and eventually lower production cost.  Also they offer better fuel economy over 4 pods. Same time there are drawbacks such as vibration, low torque and power , high rpm.   But with recent developments, most of these dynamic balance issues have overcome remarkably.  Incorporation of turbo charging and integrated motors (hybrid) have solved the issues with slow pickup as well. 

Thanks

• 4 years later...