• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Gear clarification

wj1226

Question

Hi all,

I need a big help. Mine is a Toyota Corrolla Year 1997 Car.

Today while driving, accidentally I changed the gear from 'D' to 'P' before the vehicles fully  stops ( At a speed about 3 KMPH) And the engines gave a click .... sound and stopped..

After that I drove the vehicle  for some km's and it functioned normally. 

I want to know if there will be any damages to the engine due to what happened.

Really appreciate all of your feedback.

Also if something has happened to the engine due to this, will there be any early  errors / indications

Edited by wj1226

2 answers to this question

At Parking position a pawl  at the end  of a lever mechanism  engages with the teeth of a ring wheel which is attached to the output shaft thus locking the wheels. If you try to engage the parking position while the car is still moving you may hear a bit of rattling sound followed by an abrupt stop of the wheels. Usually nothing bad would happen to the transmission except a bit of wearing in the pawl and teeth. Just forget it and keep driving but take care not to repeat the same mistake again.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

At Parking position a pawl  at the end  of a lever mechanism  engages with the teeth of a ring wheel which is attached to the output shaft thus locking the wheels. If you try to engage the parking position while the car is still moving you may hear a bit of rattling sound followed by an abrupt stop of the wheels. Usually nothing bad would happen to the transmission except a bit of wearing in the pawl and teeth. Just forget it and keep driving but take care not to repeat the same mistake again.

Thank you Rumesh88 for the clarification. Really appreciate the support & advice. 

hope that it will not ruin my gear box..

Edited by wj1226