• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gearbox Problem

ferrarif50

Hi all, im having a small problem in my van.

its a Hiace supercustom with a 2.4 EFI diesel Turbo engine. I feel a small vibration when i put the gear leaver to D. this happens ONLY WHEN ITS ON "D" AND ENGINE IS IDLE. no problems in other positions.

what would be the problem? do i have to change my gear oil or what?

also, theres a small button called ECT, is this means electronically controlled transmission? i dont know what it does... sorry guys if im asking a stupid question :blink:

Hi all, im having a small problem in my van.

its a Hiace supercustom with a 2.4 EFI diesel Turbo engine. I feel a small vibration when i put the gear leaver to D. this happens ONLY WHEN ITS ON "D" AND ENGINE IS IDLE. no problems in other positions.

what would be the problem? do i have to change my gear oil or what?

also, theres a small button called ECT, is this means electronically controlled transmission? i dont know what it does... sorry guys if im asking a stupid question :blink:

well i read in some motormag that vibrations felt via gearbox means summin wrong wit da automatic trasmission and need urgent attention to avert an even bigger repair? not sure whether the trasmission oild change would do the trick, now let the experts speak up and explain to us, i am of course no-vice!

Where Have All The EXPERTS Gone?

Machang

I am not one of the so called "expert" But better you pay your urgent attention to this as mentioned earlier. Otherwise it may be a point where you start spending $$$.

aswe

ECT button retards shifting possitions of your gb. that means better acceleration. when ECT ON, you will burn more fuel. during normal drive, keep it OFF

Hi there

Before you get all very worried, have your gearbox and engine mountings checked.

A worn out mounting can also lead to the vibration you are experiencing.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers

Hi there

Before you get all very worried, have your gearbox and engine mountings checked.

A worn out mounting can also lead to the vibration you are experiencing.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers

so if he continues to ignore this mount issue at least for a while, will it cause him great diffculty later, at least what i gathered from the motormag article...

We had a problem in the Toyota Hiace where the reverse gear skips. At first we were going to replace all razors in the gear box etc. But to see wen we took it to the agents they just changed the gear oil - and now its fine.

So try changing your oil as well.

so if he continues to ignore this mount issue at least for a while, will it cause him great diffculty later, at least what i gathered from the motormag article...

Any form of vibration from any part of the vehicle is not good and should not be ignored.

Vibration caused by worn out mountings will eventually lead to other parts in the drive train to wear out leading to even bigger problems. So don't ignor the problem.

The very first thing to check would be the mountings before trying to worry about other "could be" issues.

The vibration you mention could be due to several reasons, or a combination of several reasons. So start with the mountings.

Cheers

Any form of vibration from any part of the vehicle is not good and should not be ignored.

Vibration caused by worn out mountings will eventually lead to other parts in the drive train to wear out leading to even bigger problems. So don't ignor the problem.

The very first thing to check would be the mountings before trying to worry about other "could be" issues.

The vibration you mention could be due to several reasons, or a combination of several reasons. So start with the mountings.

Cheers

Yaeh i think i'll have to go with what duncan says. This is quite a common problem in most automatic vehicles. If you have not changed your ATF, try that too.

Cheers

gee my car also has developed a slight vibration since of late and my friends told me dat it may be some "RACK" issue, should take the car to the agent soon... tnx for the adivise :(

thanks everyone,

i'll try those next weekend, caz its not a daily runner. need to check those mounts. thanks again

And dont worry, even if you want to replace it, a recon Hiace gear box will be max - 15k thats it

i already have extra GB with me .... :(