• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suv Vs A Sedan

leonardo

The X Trail Diesel is a 2.2litre which is supposed to be quite economical according to motorcar magazines.There are Diesel SUV's in the country but you wont find a hell of a lot becuase of the high duty on diesel vehicles. People entitled to duty free imports (like ministers, NGO's & some professional businessmen bringing in a lot of foreign earnings to the country are entitled) do bring down diesels. But on the long run it will cost the same as a petrol to run because of the maintenance factor.

BTW Earlier Suzuki Japan said no to the Vitara Diesel in Sri Lanka cos of the pollution in Sri Lanka plus the quality of the diesel. Most brand new Vitara diesels failed in Sri Lanka. (Check with Aitken Spence Hotels - They still have a diesel Vitara bought on the hotel permit).

But still there are quite a few diesel SUV's which came in recently on the MP's (Prado, Montero, X3, Patrol, Discovery3) & retiring government servants permit (Freelander, Sportage).

But machang, now there is no more vitaras in dieasel

i never did go check them out. i only know that theya re GDI petrol engines. i've only seen them at dhammika motors. no one else has them right?

Hmm its a place in startford avenue/rd in kirulapone, he qouted me 5M for the Intercooler, and 5.5M for the Prado... The prado auto and the montero manual..

Hmm its a place in startford avenue/rd in kirulapone, he qouted me 5M for the Intercooler, and 5.5M for the Prado... The prado auto and the montero manual..

realy? You mean a prado will cost more than a Montero? I thought people like Montero than a prado

5.5mill is not too bad. price of the intercooler is bittoo high i think.

realy? You mean a prado will cost more than a Montero? I thought people like Montero than a prado

the montero mona refering to is the previous model one. i would pick a prado over a montero any time. how much is the 120 series prado these days????

the latest model prado's go over 10+ mil

They certainly do, i know a restaurant owner in wella who bought a Prado 97 model, KB registered for 6ish mil & its petrol.. :) ... Didnt go into much detail...

i don't know how true the part mentioned regarding the SUV maintainance cost being lower than a car. it all depends on you. if you care for the suv as you did for the car, there should be no difference actually on the maintanance.

apart from that, i totally agree that suv is the way to go for our roads. just dont expect it to perform like a sedan.

as for the xtrail gt, i do know one that for sale, send me an email if interested. [email protected] there is also a nice x-trail for sale on the classifieds :)

i was going to go for it but have decided to stay away from it simply because of the CVT gearbox.

Thanks for the info. CVT gearbox on a GT X-trail? Don't they come with manual transmission?

Anyways will mail you.

They certainly do, i know a restaurant owner in wella who bought a Prado 97 model, KB registered for 6ish mil & its petrol.. :) ... Didnt go into much detail...

97 model is da old one isnt it? i thought it was 5.5 as u said ealier in dat car sale

97 model is da old one isnt it? i thought it was 5.5 as u said ealier in dat car sale

He xchanged his Montero for it, so i dont know how he came to paying that much.. And yes 97 model is the previous model/look.

Do you mean BMW X3, I haven't seen any X3s in SL, is there any?

I've seen only X5s.

Yes, Minister Mangala Samaraweera bought a X3 on his permit, heard that it has already met with an accident and now lying at Prestiege. Around 2 X3's were bought on the MP's permits.

But machang, now there is no more vitaras in dieasel

Yes there aint no diesel Vitara's now since the Japs don't give it to sri Lanka, the new Vitara diesel is better on performance since its got a Renault megane engine.

There are still retiring government servents permits in the market which go for around 2.0 mil. You can bring down a Diesel vehicle at $ 17875 with a capacity restriction of 2300cc. these permits are transferable but there will be 5% Customs duty + VAT & PAL applicable. Say around Rs. 600,000/= in duty. So if you guys are interested U can check with any permit broker. Carmart is bringing down the 407, Carplan the Sportage. mainly those I dont know of others. Freelander was also available for a short period, but not any more.

There are still retiring government servents permits in the market which go for around 2.0 mil. You can bring down a Diesel vehicle at $ 17875 with a capacity restriction of 2300cc. these permits are transferable but there will be 5% Customs duty + VAT & PAL applicable. Say around Rs. 600,000/= in duty. So if you guys are interested U can check with any permit broker. Carmart is bringing down the 407, Carplan the Sportage. mainly those I dont know of others. Freelander was also available for a short period, but not any more.

what is this permit you are on about. never heard of it. is it a new scheme???????

what is this permit you are on about. never heard of it. is it a new scheme???????

No its not a new scheme, Well its a permit given by the government for retiring servants (Accountant or Secretaial level at Ministries & Govn Departments). There were lots of ppl who bought vehicles on this permit (C. Vaas - 407, M. Atapattu - 407 included) this permit had been there for quite some time now.