• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Check Indicating In My Civic - Advice Pls

Hola

Hi there Civic Experts,

Today morning when i was stroling around, I saw the Yellow "Engine Check" indicating. I recently did a service and timing belt change. Why could this be? Please advice.

Rgds/Hola

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there Civic Experts,

Today morning when i was stroling around, I saw the Yellow "Engine Check" indicating. I recently did a service and timing belt change. Why could this be? Please advice.

Rgds/Hola

It's time to change ur engine mate!!! :angry:

Stafford will know how to get the 'error code' off your ECU.. it will tell you what the problem is. Check engine light can come for several reasons... The ECU has the cars primary sensors all connected to it giving various data. Based on this data the ecu will alter air-fuel mixtures, iginition timing, emissions, idle revs etc-to keep you car running smoothly. So when the check light comes on its can mean A)One of your sensors are not working B)Your sensors are giving a reading that a mechanical part is not functioning correctly- which could mean that you got a misfiring engine...

You can drive around with the light on at you own risk. in most local cases the light tends to come on with a faulty O2 sensor (If i remember right it costs about 20-23k) I dont think this has much to do with the t-belt change though..

which ever way your screwed.. hope my info helps.

Your car is an Exi right?

600 posts for the king!

Stafford will know how to get the 'error code' off your ECU.. it will tell you what the problem is. Check engine light can come for several reasons... The ECU has the cars primary sensors all connected to it giving various data. Based on this data the ecu will alter air-fuel mixtures, iginition timing, emissions, idle revs etc-to keep you car running smoothly. So when the check light comes on its can mean A)One of your sensors are not working B)Your sensors are giving a reading that a mechanical part is not functioning correctly- which could mean that you got a misfiring engine...

You can drive around with the light on at you own risk. in most local cases the light tends to come on with a faulty O2 sensor (If i remember right it costs about 20-23k) I dont think this has much to do with the t-belt change though..

which ever way your screwed.. hope my info helps.

Your car is an Exi right?

600 posts for the king!

Oh no...i dont know why i have all these problems when i take care of the car so well... I wil then go to Staffords ASAP! Thanks

is there a way to take care of the O2 sensors??????????

Good question- Not too sure but.. Its out of your control most of the time as it can depend on the grade & quality of the fuel you use. I'd also say keep your injectors clean and do oil changes within 5k with good oil.. as you dont want to be burning oil in you emissions- that fu*ks up your O2 sensor as well your O3 :) ohh and try not to run your fuel tank to the end- theres sludge at the bottom.

I also sometimes remove the O2 sensor and clean it out with cotton rag.

Good question- Not too sure but.. Its out of your control most of the time as it can depend on the grade & quality of the fuel you use. I'd also say keep your injectors clean and do oil changes within 5k with good oil.. as you dont want to be burning oil in you emissions- that fu*ks up your O2 sensor as well your O3 :) ohh and try not to run your fuel tank to the end- theres sludge at the bottom.

I also sometimes remove the O2 sensor and clean it out with cotton rag.

thanks for the info pils. from what i've heard it lifespan of the sensor mainly depend on the quality of the fuel which is out of our control. should try the manual clean. are you sure its safe to do that.

Come to think of it, ive got the same problem in my march. It Blinks for a day or two sometimes a week, and then goes off.. Then comes on after a week or so.. lol.. Haunted! Nyways they say its a sensor gone. Should replace soon.

Come to think of it, ive got the same problem in my march. It Blinks for a day or two sometimes a week, and then goes off.. Then comes on after a week or so.. lol.. Haunted! Nyways they say its a sensor gone. Should replace soon.

here goes my personal story...(said this b4 in a previous thread)

i went to a plc. and got my spark plugs replaced and soon afterwards my "Check" light started to glow, they couldn't figure out why, i went to (now highly unrecommended)mag city and had the car inspected and they concluded that my Oxigen sensor is gone! a newer one would have costed at least 20,000/=, hearing about this my uncle advised me dat the "Check" light could easily glow when there are diconnections in the system, not necessarily a doomed sensor, he said the mostly like one would be that wire kinda thing that goes towards the catalyic converter, so he removed the wire cleaned it a bit and fixed it again tightly and i never experienced an problem or difference aftereards...

so my advice t u is, get the car inspected by a trusworthy party, otherwise they can bully u into buying new sensor when the actual sensor is doing just fine!

Check engine lights don't always work when there's a sensor problem. Once my camshaft sensor failed but the check engine light didn't indicate anything. I figured something was wrong because my rev counter stopped working when driving. After I parked the car and turned off the ignition it just refused to start again, and I had to call the agent's breakdown service to fix it.

So reading all the post up here, it is understood that the sensor might or might not tell the true picture. Anyway i am going soon to the agents. Hope they accpet credit cards