• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Check Indicating In My Civic - Advice Pls

Hola

Yes, I am using a FB14 air filter, same size, same dimension, atleast i can change it over 2 times than the normal cycle also.Its 2500 or something...and its original Nissan...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okey guys, came after 4 hours at Staffords...

The engne check light was due to the oxygen sensor...the here is the breakdown...

Oxygen Sensor - 19,086

Replace charges - 1650

Engine tune up -1650

Throtle body cleaner - 650

VAT 15% - 3169

Total was 24.297/=

and they gave a discount of 20% becuase i am an Autolanka member and have passed 1000mark in the forums...he he kidding...

And Hola didnt have money, so he took out his standard charted credit card but could pay only 20k from it, the amex credit card paid 2000 and thank god i had 3000 cash...drained..couldnt give any tips..feeling bad..cnt help

well, atleast u got it fixed

U could've driven around for a lil while if you had to. Ur emissions and consumption may have suffered a lil..

howmany O2 sensors does that model have?

The engne check light was due to the oxygen sensor...the here is the breakdown...

Oxygen Sensor - 19,086

Replace charges - 1650

Engine tune up -1650

VAT 15% - 3169

Total was 24.297/=

and they gave a discount of 20% becuase i am an Autolanka member and have passed 1000mark in the forums...he he kidding...

And Hola didnt have money, so he took out his standard charted credit card but could pay only 20k from it, the amex credit card paid 2000 and thank god i had 3000 cash...drained..couldnt give any tips..feeling bad..cnt help

did u read my previous post? well in case u havent read... my case was identical, and it was the o2 senssor which was indicated by the so called machine to have been damaged... but the freaking machine count identify that it was a mere loose connection... all that it knows is the signals from o2 sensor are failing so it decides o2 sensor is gone... then my uncle after going through certain forums in the internet said it could very well be a simple loose connection and so he removed device cleaned and put it together and everything was fine ever since then... and mind you i have driven about 20,000 km since then w/out any hitch!!! my question to u is did the Honda guys bother to find out whether itz a mere loose connection ???

/u know the main reason why vehicles started 2 use chips is their reliability(contrary to your belief) and these electronics do not fail often(well n16 and cefiro chips fail not due their own fault but rather due to their placement which makes it exposed to water somehow)

/last but not least i wish to ask from the forum whether the demise O2 sensor play a big role ... i mean if my faulty memory is correct itz only environmental pollution that gets affected... summin to do wit catalic converter(correct me if i am wrong, as i am not sure)

well, atleast u got it fixed

U could've driven around for a lil while if you had to. Ur emissions and consumption may have suffered a lil..

howmany O2 sensors does that model have?

ahhh may be the case that there are more than 1 O2 sensor, but the one that was erroneously indicated to have been demised was the one to do with catalic converter....

ahhh may be the case that there are more than 1 O2 sensor, but the one that was erroneously indicated to have been demised was the one to do with catalic converter....

some cars use 2 O2 sensors...one b4 the cat and one after...this serves 2 purposes...first to control ur exhaust and second to check the efficiency of the cat...

some cars use 2 O2 sensors...one b4 the cat and one after...this serves 2 purposes...first to control ur exhaust and second to check the efficiency of the cat...

so in clonclusion does the O2 sensor serve any other purpose than envt pollution in terms of a major impact... i mean the car of course can function as normal w/out da O2 sensor right...

No Isuru, the ECU uses the reading from the O2 sensor to decide on the most efficient air fuel ratio, and this is the one on the exhaust manifold, which is the most important one of the 2. The second one after the catalytic converter is used to meassure the efficiency of the catalytic convertor, and thus yes it is to protect the environment.

Your car functions reasonably ok with the after cat oxygen sensor busted, and anyway I haven't heard of people replacing catalytic convertors in SL when they go faulty, cos nobody tests cars for emmissions, atleast to the best of my knowledge.

But the first sensor plays a very important role in the EFI system, some cars like Nissans simply refuse to work when they go bust, and your fuel ecconomy drops when the sensor becomes faulty, and they say sometimes you can increase your fuel ecconomy up to 30% just by replacing a faulty Oxygen sensor.

Oxygen sensors are like spark plugs, their life time is not infinite and thus you should fully expect to replace them as part of regular maintenance.

Regards,

The Don

No Isuru, the ECU uses the reading from the O2 sensor to decide on the most efficient air fuel ratio, and this is the one on the exhaust manifold, which is the most important one of the 2. The second one after the catalytic converter is used to meassure the efficiency of the catalytic convertor, and thus yes it is to protect the environment.

Your car functions reasonably ok with the after cat oxygen sensor busted, and anyway I haven't heard of people replacing catalytic convertors in SL when they go faulty, cos nobody tests cars for emmissions, atleast to the best of my knowledge.

But the first sensor plays a very important role in the EFI system, some cars like Nissans simply refuse to work when they go bust, and your fuel ecconomy drops when the sensor becomes faulty, and they say sometimes you can increase your fuel ecconomy up to 30% just by replacing a faulty Oxygen sensor.

Oxygen sensors are like spark plugs, their life time is not infinite and thus you should fully expect to replace them as part of regular maintenance.

Regards,

The Don

Wow Don! tnx so much, now i have a clear idea about O2 sensors, so when u see the engine check lit and u feel no difference in fuel econo u shouldnt worry too much about it that much and needless pay bucks for it i guess unless u r a so called green guy :lol: ...

so Hola which one of ur sensors had gone busted?

i mus have had my cat O2 sensor indicated to have been busted, datz y i never felt any fuel econo problem even till i got that loose connection undone!

yeps, in my car the catalytic convertor light has come on, its because the after CAT O2 sensor is faulty, now I have wanted it replaced because I dont like check system lights flashing at me, but I never really found the time (a bit of a project if you are getting it done outside agents, because you have to take it to a place with a hoist and a O2 sensor socket to take it off, then go arround to look for a replacement, you are most likely to find generic replacements, not the original and then take it back to fit it on) and nobody seems interesting in solving this probi for me, I get a very lethargic atitude from every one I have taken the car to he he,

O2 sensor problems don't always show up on the check system, so if your fuel ecconomy seems to be dropping, and everything else seems to be ok with the car, plugs filters etc, its possibly the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold,

You might wonder how I know this much, ref above he he :lol: (For the record Shak has played a part in my education too )

Regards,

The Don

Don i appologise profusely for not following up on ur O2 sensor...just havent had the time bro :alc:

Dont worry about it machan, And it certainly wasn't you I was referring to, I went to Elkardo Delkanda to first diagnose the problem because we first though it was a faulty CAT but it turns out the wires had come off the Oxygen Sensor. I asked them what should I do, they said dont bother ha ha ha, my usually very helpful mech who usually sources the parts also and fixes the car (really good dude) somehow didnt find enthusiasm to get this sorted, and suggested I go to Tokimo take it out and then source one from Delkanda, but I didnt want to replace the sensor with a used one for obvious reasons. I went to the agents and they cant tell me the part number because their system does not identify my VIN number cos its a JDM, so the only option I really have it to take the sensor out and make a visit to Panchikawatte, and find one with a same OEM manufacturers part number, and I suspect its an NGK or Denso OR get a NGK generic 2 Wire after CAT Oxygen sensor and fit the wires in he he.

Bottom line what should be a small thing even after a year or so still has not got done (not helped by the fact I am not home for a lot of the year :P)

Your help though was much appriciated :)

Regards,

The Don

Regards,

The Don

YOU ARE SPOT ON BROTHER - Just what the doctor guy at Staffords told me!!

Wow Don! tnx so much, now i have a clear idea about O2 sensors, so when u see the engine check lit and u feel no difference in fuel econo u shouldnt worry too much about it that much and needless pay bucks for it i guess unless u r a so called green guy :alc: ...

so Hola which one of ur sensors had gone busted?

Why i told you - Oxygen sensor, the one in the middle...didnt even take 10minutes to fix it

YOU ARE SPOT ON BROTHER - Just what the doctor guy at Staffords told me!!

Why i told you - Oxygen sensor, the one in the middle...didnt even take 10minutes to fix it

damn then i am worried whether my one will also get busted, coz ur engine and mine r pretty similar and we both have run same no. of km/s.

bdw i put my car to stafford today for t/belt thingy, will post da cost in the thread later...

dead on DON..The 1st feeds the computer with info to adjust air/fuel mixture while the post CAT sensor if often a single stage sensor which tells you if the CAT goes bad (which happens if u use leaded gasoline)

like I said b4 I have been running with a bad O2 sensor (exhaust manifold) on my maxima since Dec 03. I may have suffered a lil bit of economy due to bad fuel mixture. But I loose waste more fuel due to my heavy right foot :alc:

and ofcourse on nissans we have to worry about the KS (knock sensor) and all then the ghost codes with missfires.

did u loose fuel econo while the ur O2 sensor was indicated to have been busted?(i mean i know dat it was the more important O2 sensor that was busted in ur case, but if fuel econo hadnt gone down it could very well have been a loose connection just like mine)

did u loose fuel econo while the ur O2 sensor was indicated to have been busted?(i mean i know dat it was the more important O2 sensor that was busted in ur case, but if fuel econo hadnt gone down it could very well have been a loose connection just like mine)

well, umm..The RPM was 1200 in the Agent's PC...well that could have been for the fact that there was carbon where we need to do the tuning up as well

well, umm..The RPM was 1200 in the Agent's PC...well that could have been for the fact that there was carbon where we need to do the tuning up as well

Cool! anyway now be happy dat ur car is fine :D

jst for ur infomation! stafford ripped 27k out of me today :)

Oxygen Sensor - 19,086

Replace charges - 1650

Engine tune up -1650

VAT 15% - 3169

Total was 24.297/=

hey man u should've taken it to zacki he would have done it for a much lesser price.... i know this coz i was at his place last sat gettin a tune up for my car when an integra came in to fix the O2 sensor mind u it had 2 sensor's

:):(

why? tell me...

20 odd k's for a repair is no big deal from stafford... u dont have to loose ur passion for Honda's afterwards. <_<

hey man u should've taken it to zacki he would have done it for a much lesser price.... i know this coz i was at his place last sat gettin a tune up for my car when an integra came in to fix the O2 sensor mind u it had 2 sensor's

:huh::huh:

i guess he only does engine repairs right.

No you didnt say why you spend 27k?

parts

------

timing belt 3434.78

tentioner 2828.09

mtg rubber RR(rear engine mount) 5434.78

rack end 8608.70

labor

------

rack ends 1450

engine mount 650

t-belt 2450