• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import from USA?

JohnyB5635

Question

I cannot find any way to import to Sri Lanka, so I wanted to run an idea by you guys. I found a company that ships to India on a mass-scale and is well-priced. But after I get a car, and get it shipped to India, how can I get it over here as efficiently as possible? I get my quotes from https://www.wcshipping.com/asia but otherwise have no idea how to get it past India here.

2 answers to this question

May I ask what the car is ? 

For starters you need to convert it to RHD (as opposed to LHD in the US). There is a famous SL company that does conversions at an international scale, you could check with them to see if they can get it over for you and do the conversion. Either way you would need to do a conversion so check with them anyway (the conversion needs to be done prior to registration and is released from the port only on approval by the RMV..or something of the sort...). The conversion cost might be quite high, are you sure the model you are looking at is not offered in RHD form in a different market ?

If you have any contacts in the US you can have them do a bit of research using many of the shipping agents who are there.  I am sure you can find many shipping agents who would ship a car for you from the US with the final destination being SL rather than India. You just need to source the car and hand it over to them.