• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Give Up A Civic Rs For A Carina Gt - Opinion Pls

Hola

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel is bad compared to the Civic- which will give you at least 9(with out too many mods) anyday in Colombo- CGT is about 7. There are no issues on the turning radius- it's much beter that the ViRS..

The ViRS has about 102lbs compared to RS which has about 115. 200cc goes to catching up the power loss of a Lev-i-vtec-e engine.

The RS is quicker on low end with shorter FinalD the D15 take it given more road :D

kewl my memory has been right except for the fact that itz infact da ViRs dat catches up on the RS on the long run!

Ok So Jack D...Like i said the AL members have spoken....

Lets not give up your VIRS then....

damn u! now the picture has totally changed. for heavens sake ViRS and RS r different(1 EK parallel other ES parallel)

AL memebers are edging to CGT now!

• 2 months later...

Guys, my friend who wanted me to open this thread told me today that he got another offer for a 6 forward, Carina GT year 2001 which is 170BHP for 2.5mil. Do you think its worth?

The 6spd. z a good car but 2.5mn. z a lot of money for a Carina 2nd hand! if hez interested on sheer performance therez even a good Z car for sale for around dat price eh?

plz let us know (in order of relative importance to him) what ur friend's concerns are... then we can better advice :alc:

Machang Hola,

With the the vehicle duty going up by 12% on the 18.09.06', the prices will no doubt vary again. 2.5Mil for a CGT (2nd hand) is a bit too much. But given the fact that its a 6speed (4AGE 212) hmmm its a tough call mate....its a nice car and if I'm correct this version mostly came with Automatic gearboxes...since its a manual....should be a sweet ride.Tell your pal to work and get the most superlative price cos @ e end of the day, its HE, who should be happy with his investment!!! :blink::D:D

Guys, my friend who wanted me to open this thread told me today that he got another offer for a 6 forward, Carina GT year 2001 which is 170BHP for 2.5mil. Do you think its worth?

is he out of his mind ? ask him to go in for a civic man... you beeing one of the greatest honda fans in this forum I'm surprise to be reading this post further more

is he out of his mind ? ask him to go in for a civic man... you beeing one of the greatest honda fans in this forum I'm surprise to be reading this post further more

Aiyo wadek naha peri, cant convince this man. I would like myself a Honda RS becuase its a lovely car. Besides the Carina 2001 is out of season (no offence owners) as its new Alion just came in. Carina is a bit pappa car compared to a RS. But since it is a GT its cool. But this man does not listen..I think he is going to end the transaction by next week.

Aiyo wadek naha peri, cant convince this man. I would like myself a Honda RS becuase its a lovely car. Besides the Carina 2001 is out of season (no offence owners) as its new Alion just came in. Carina is a bit pappa car compared to a RS. But since it is a GT its cool. But this man does not listen..I think he is going to end the transaction by next week.

don't go comparing a 6 speed CGT to a Civic RS...apples and oranges man...and so what if the Carina maybe 'out of season' just because the Allion took over...you don't hear people saying the same about an EG or EK do you?

i'd go for the CGT hands down...

Edited by sharkster

Hey guys., just read this now....so yeah...i'll give my (very biased) 2 cents.

I've driven the ViRS and between that and the GT, on a day to day basis, i'll give thumbs up to the GT. Its far more comfortable and useable. It is however, a bigger/heavier car...which explains why- but that also means its no spring chicken when it comes to handling...and thats where the ViRs has the upper hand.

In summary:

Dyno'd tests for the stock 4AGE have been read at 162 bhp (close to the factory 165) so 170bhp is either a modified or overstated statistic.

Fuel Consumption: City 7.5 (at best) Outstation 10-11 (at best)

5 speed (AT210) and 6 Speed (AT212)- here's an interesting tidbit, while the 6 speed sounds 'cooler' the overdrive is STILL 5th! And the remaining gears ratio are the same as the 5speed box. Rumour has it that the 6speed just gave the ageing model 'bling' factor.

Repairs. I have to (apolgetically) retract my statement that the engine needs rebuilding around 100k.

Nadheera J. just finished rebuilding/P&P my engine, when it had done 135k.

When he opened it up, he said it was good for another 20-30k, which says a lot more for longivity of the engine. A unmolested car could probably last well past 150k. HOWEVER, cars that have been thrashed uncomprimisingly may be different.

The 4AGE block is an iron block, which does make it a lot more tolerent of abuse (Google: Formula Atlantic Toyota 4AGE)…I believe Civic blocks are aluminium?

Parts- No problem. To my surprise, Toyota Lanka had all the necessary parts for the rebuild readily available- and they deliver to your doorstep! The guys there are very competent and have all that you need. So far, I find them very honest agents- which is not what I've heard of st*f*rd (someone do correct me, though)

What's not-so cool is the cost! My entire rebuild, parts and labour, tipped the scale over 100k but I decided to replace some other parts while I was at it- I figured I'd make it the closest to new as possible.

Dragging- I don't drag, but I've had 2 occasions to toss up with a ViRs and an RS; both times I was able to hold my own, but then again…this is unmodified vs. unmodified.

I once foolishly tried to give a modified C-TR a run, who chuffed me completely, but I'm happy to say I was on his bumper for most of the run…, before the turns came! :blink:

My advice:

Go for the ViRs if its out&out dragging/performance you want- the available mods are far more extensive than for the 4AGE

Go for the GT if you want a 50/50 deal between practicality and performance- it does make a good family car too (not that I can attest to that! But i can always load up 4 passengers w/o issue).

It is also far more anonymous (looks like any other carina, save for the rear wing….which is something I prefer)

Value wise, I can't say which is more worth it. It seems like the values just keep going up and up because of the rising taxes on importing cars...

Add to what Pila, Max and IsuruJosh have stated (thanks guys)

Edited by gunat

Just re-read the post again guys. Missed that this was an AUTO C-GT...

Don't touch it! The auto box saps the 4AGE of any valuable power! I drove one a year or two back, and it was a totally different car....like an anaemic has-been racehorse...you'll waste your money.

But if we're taking about dragging/performance, i really can't see the point of bringing automatics into the fray- toyota, honda or otherwise...

Edited by gunat

if it was low mileage (<60,000), i'd say 2.2-2.4 might be ok...2.5 to me sounds a bit on the high side, especially for a car closing to 100k...even if its a new plate AT212.

but, we're talking about a car that was last produced in 2000....thats 6+ years to date.

I suppose some can say the same for the ViRs, which follows a bodyshell that stretches back to the mid-90's...but has recreated itself a few times...

Edited by gunat