• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Give Up A Civic Rs For A Carina Gt - Opinion Pls

Hola

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ES RS is sheeyaaat compared to a VzR! Excitement? :lol:

i also think that vzr is so much of a better performing car than RS [c'mon guys the figures - 130bhp vs. 175bhp don't lie),

i just mentioned about some person (who sold his vzr (SEDAN)) hinting to me personally that there is something about RS that makes it that much more appealing... Ashan (in AL) also knows about his opinion!

On a more serios note(on the topic) i must say that my personal opinion is as follows....

CGT is a miilion times better performing car than the RS in standard form! on the other hand RS has found a good balance between being an average performer and a very economical car! my knowledge on the two cars is limited to the powertrain ... can someone else with 1st hand info. on both cars plz ellaborate on the handing dynamics of the two cars? so our friend Hola can give a sound advise to his friend!

anyway 2.5mn. for a used Carian is a bit too much (considering the 2nd hand mkt of SL)

Yes machang... Mr. J is my best friend...and he drove my RS...he agrees the Honda is better cos its much more nippy and better on pickup......and he drives an EK3 Vi (a puller in it's own right) and even agrees its streaks ahead on handling than e Nissan he had....but power wise yep the VVL is more on BHP than the D17...

see guys this is the quote i was refering to! ironically this post was in this same thread! Hola, I think there is enuf an more information on this subject on the thread already!

summary is:

1) Carina Gt is faster!

2) Rs is more economical and novel

3) some say RS handles better and some don't think so (so datz a big question marK)

4) however 2.5mn for a used GT may be expensive given our local mkt!

giv da above info. to ur friend and ask him to make the decision! Cheers! Good Luck!

Edited by isurujosh

Since we're talking about the newer shape RS now, i guess i can add a bit here.

The guy whom i bought the GT from actually bought a RS next (1.7litre) and right from the start he said it was no match for the Carina....

Logically, 122bhp vs. 165 would definitely show.

Eventually he sold off the car, wishing he had kept the GT...

I drove that RS...and in the power department, its nothing much (i'm talking about stock form)- but handling wise, was streets ahead.

One thing i did notice in that particular car though, was that the rear was unnaturally stiff and over-active, and on uneven surfaces (at speed) did not inspire much confidence. I could tell that ride was a bit unsettling- especially for whomever sat in the rear. This could be put down to tires/alloys (they were not OEM), and i've not heard this from others with the similar car.

Does the RS have the same suspension as the standard JDM civic?

The GT sits 15mm lower than the standard Carina, and also has a completely different rear suspension, owing to the rear disc brakes etc. While it does ride lower, the shocks are the same factory shocks that are in the diesel Carina (!!!!), but the springs are shorter and stiffer. As i said before, its quite a comfortable car, even with 16" low profiles.

Power: 'nuff 'sed

To quote isurujosh- time to make a decision!

Good luck!

The guy whom i bought the GT from actually bought a RS next (1.7litre) and right from the start he said it was no match for the Carina....

I drove that RS...and in the power department, its nothing much (i'm talking about stock form)- but handling wise, was streets ahead.

One thing i did notice in that particular car though, was that the rear was unnaturally stiff and over-active, and on uneven surfaces (at speed) did not inspire much confidence. I could tell that ride was a bit unsettling- especially for whomever sat in the rear. This could be put down to tires/alloys (they were not OEM), and i've not heard this from others with the similar car.

The GT sits 15mm lower than the standard Carina, and also has a completely different rear suspension, owing to the rear disc brakes etc. While it does ride lower, the shocks are the same factory shocks that are in the diesel Carina (!!!!), but the springs are shorter and stiffer. As i said before, its quite a comfortable car, even with 16" low profiles.

Good luck!

so the RS is not such a good handling car eh? then Hola should encourage his friend to go for CGT(of course bargain for price)

adding on to sharkster's comment on the engine! i have seen in many places in the internet that "VVTL-i" (wot da CGT has) z "theoratically" the most advanced/complex "Variable valve timing and Lift control" system in the world!!!

pardon me, but i (think/assume/suspect) that RS's D17 engine is used in US in their economy cars! besides Z da RS engine DOHC? ( i think 3-stage VTEC is a term associted with SOHC VTEC not DOHC VTEC)

so again and again i stress RS is no match for CGT in performance dept. (datz my personal opinion, earlier i wz only quoting otherz) but still RS has found good balance between givin avg. performance & economy!

Hola,

With regard to handling & fuel consumption:

- The ES3 RS is really good, but of course this can be argued.

- The fuel consumption, running to Colombo-Negombo/Negombo-Colombo with AC on & High Revs is 11.83Km per Litre (in my RS).

*** This is through first-hand experience I'm stating facts abt a RS; and having driven a CGT (both 210 & 212) AND a VZ-R... handling-wise, Honda's right up-there!

My 2cents on this is: ...if it's PERFORMANCE your pal's looking for; hands down go with the CGT(with a more superlative price pls :D ) cos a bone-stock SOHC RS cant keep up with the CGT, unless of course it's given a special treatment ;) ...having had said that, I'd say go with the ES3 RS, for reasoanble performance, better fuel efficiency, good looks (can be argued) and a waaaaaaaaaaaay better re-sale value!

Pls let us know what your mate finally decided on!!!

Good luck!

Well the Es3 RS is 130hp.. its shocks and springs are usually a bit harder than the standard civic. Sometimes when people replace the shocks they drop in the standard softer Exi/Vti shocks with the stiffer RS springs and this I guess could cause the car to be woblly..

Indeed.

One thing though- the GT does not have VVT-Li but VVT....it was the FIRST time toyota took a stab at variable valve timing...in this applicatoin the cam changed in degree only. The more recent models (post 2001) have VVT-Li...

wow kewl! so the 165hp was wit only cam phasing VVT-I eh?

@Ashan! I agree 100% wit ur verdict! anyway nice to hear dat RS handles good, may be lik pila said guant's xperience may have to do wit replaced "softer" springs :D

Hola,

With regard to handling & fuel consumption:

- The ES3 RS is really good, but of course this can be argued.

- The fuel consumption, running to Colombo-Negombo/Negombo-Colombo with AC on & High Revs is 11.83Km per Litre (in my RS).

*** This is through first-hand experience I'm stating facts abt a RS; and having driven a CGT (both 210 & 212) AND a VZ-R... handling-wise, Honda's right up-there!

My 2cents on this is: ...if it's PERFORMANCE your pal's looking for; hands down go with the CGT(with a more superlative price pls :D ) cos a bone-stock SOHC RS cant keep up with the CGT, unless of course it's given a special treatment ;) ...having had said that, I'd say go with the ES3 RS, for reasoanble performance, better fuel efficiency, good looks (can be argued) and a waaaaaaaaaaaay better re-sale value!

Pls let us know what your mate finally decided on!!!

exactly my friend... these buggers are nuts... I can not simply believe how tastless they are... I mean the freaking CGT looks like a damn box.. what's so special about that ? Ihave driven a CGT down south and back... everything in it was real good... but fuel consumption was hell to pay... then I tried my cousins RS which was like a sweet ride right along.. the RS overall was way way ahead of the CGT... ( bias )

you'll never know until you check it yourself....

exactly my friend... these buggers are nuts... I can not simply believe how tastless they are... I mean the freaking CGT looks like a damn box.. what's so special about that ? Ihave driven a CGT down south and back... everything in it was real good... but fuel consumption was hell to pay... then I tried my cousins RS which was like a sweet ride right along.. the RS overall was way way ahead of the CGT... ( bias )

which buggers are you referring to fool? this comment coming from the bugger who sold a vtec EG8 and bought a dual carb EG8 with the only mods being a fat-ass body kit!! eat your words son...

That coming from a bugger who calls his car his "Cherry baby" .... :D Betcha that box can leave u looking the same color as ur car if u drag one ;)

which buggers are you referring to fool? this comment coming from the bugger who sold a vtec EG8 and bought a dual carb EG8 with the only mods being a fat-ass body kit!! eat your words son...

that has nothing to do with my comments DING.... what I'm saying is that the RS is 100 times better than that boxy CGT...

and I had my reasons for getting a dual carb...

that has nothing to do with my comments DING.... what I'm saying is that the RS is 100 times better than that boxy CGT...

and I had my reasons for getting a dual carb...

it's not about dual carbs man...it's about big BIG body kits slapped on by someone who seems to know so much about performance...

you have no valid argument by ranting on about fuel consumption...

Edited by sharkster

it's not about dual carbs man...it's about big BIG body kits slapped on by someone who seems to know so much about performance...

you have no valid argument by ranting on about fuel consumption...

true.. but the kit was made light... it's the same weight of the original bumper or even less.... true fuel consumption is a bit heavy but I have sorted that out.... I closed up one carb... nah I'm just kidding... :D

I used to get 5.5 but then I added the ##### and I got 7.5... then I added that nano thingy which gave me 9.. ( with the straight through exhaust ) so I think that's pretty good...

true.. but the kit was made light... it's the same weight of the original bumper or even less.... true fuel consumption is a bit heavy but I have sorted that out.... I closed up one carb... nah I'm just kidding... :D

I used to get 5.5 but then I added the ##### and I got 7.5... then I added that nano thingy which gave me 9.. ( with the straight through exhaust ) so I think that's pretty good...

but you're still about 60bhp short...and bright red...;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Need your idea fast!!!...One of my close friends has a Honda RS year 2000(GQ number plates) and got a offer to exchange it for a carina GT (GT 170 BHP)...What do you think? Should he go for it or not? The offer ends next Monday as the seller has got a another offer for the Carina GT..

Hola

:) idiot