• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Know Your Rights!!!

ash

A young girl was raped by a man posing as a plain clothes officer; he asked her to come to

the police station when she and her male friend didn't have a driver`s license to show. He sent the boy off to get his license and asked the girl to accompany him to the police station. Took her instead to an isolated area where the horrendous crime was committed.

Infact, the law clearly states that between 6 pm and 6am, a woman has the right to REFUSE to go to the Police Station, even if an arrest warrant has been issued against her. It is a procedural issue that a woman can be arrested between 6pm and 6 am, ONLY if she is arrested by a woman officer and taken to an ALL WOMEN police station. And if she is arrested by a male officer, it has to be proven that a woman officer was on duty at the time of arrest.

It is good for us to know our rights. To what extent it comes of use remains to be seen in any situation. But as they say, knowledge is power.

• Like 1

A young girl was raped by a man posing as a plain clothes officer; he asked her to come to

the police station when she and her male friend didn't have a driver`s license to show. He sent the boy off to get his license and asked the girl to accompany him to the police station. Took her instead to an isolated area where the horrendous crime was committed.

Infact, the law clearly states that between 6 pm and 6am, a woman has the right to REFUSE to go to the Police Station, even if an arrest warrant has been issued against her. It is a procedural issue that a woman can be arrested between 6pm and 6 am, ONLY if she is arrested by a woman officer and taken to an ALL WOMEN police station. And if she is arrested by a male officer, it has to be proven that a woman officer was on duty at the time of arrest.

It is good for us to know our rights. To what extent it comes of use remains to be seen in any situation. But as they say, knowledge is power.

So shall I assume that you are a woman :lol:

So shall I assume that you are a woman :D

Law is for all. Men or Women. OUR RIGHTS applied to all human being.

BTW this was sent to me by our company legal officer (she). I just cut & pasted. :lol:

Ah, a loophole. Someone told me there is a law that says females are not allowed to work at night. No Nightshifts. So that sorta narrows down women police officers being on duty during the small hours too :D

All women police stations? are there such things in SL?

Only problem is, this info is useful to maybe 3 forum contributors ;) then again, I think we can depend on Nads to forward it all over the countryside :lol:

i too found a thing or 2 about SL law recently. AParently what ever said to the police while in their custody is not valid in courts. So if you did something and you confess to a cop, may it be in writing or what ever, it's not valid in courts.

catch is that any other clues or evidence found as a result of your confession is admissible in courts.

Ah, a loophole. Someone told me there is a law that says females are not allowed to work at night. No Nightshifts. So that sorta narrows down women police officers being on duty during the small hours too :D

All women police stations? are there such things in SL?

Only problem is, this info is useful to maybe 3 forum contributors ;) then again, I think we can depend on Nads to forward it all over the countryside :lol:

Ha..ha..ha..very funny Peri..as a matter fact I shuld do that..coz this is valuable info 2 all femal species :D ..

Only problem is, this info is useful to maybe 3 forum contributors :D then again, I think we can depend on Nads to forward it all over the countryside :lol:

Don't forget your friends... and sisters (Ur sis is a lawyer... right??? so she must be aware of this already)

But I really have a doubt. The way SL police works, who are you to talk law with them. They will kick Ur ass for raising ur voice against them.

Apparently what ever said to the police while in their custody is not valid in courts. So if you did something and you confess to a cop, may it be in writing or what ever, it's not valid in courts.

Catch is that any other clues or evidence found as a result of your confession is admissible in courts.

That's a good move. Once ur in the police custody, they'll force you to tell what ever they want you to tell. Don't forget this is SL law and the law is in their hands.

But I really have a doubt. The way SL police works, who are you to talk law with them. They will kick Ur ass for raising ur voice against them. [/color]

That's a good move. Once ur in the police custody, they'll force you to tell what ever they want you to tell. Don't forget this is SL law and the law is in their hands.

Very true Ash, same thing happened 2 my man last Saturday, he was stopped in the night 4 drunk driving when he had not had any alcohol and asked 2 blow the baloon, first time negative result n he was asked to blow again, n he had refused and argued wz da cop, cop had taken his licence and asked him 2 collect it the following day, n when he went the next day matter was put 2 courts and he was fined 5,000/= 4 drunk driving..that's how police work in SL.

Very true Ash, same thing happened 2 my man last Saturday, he was stopped in the night 4 drunk driving when he had not had any alcohol and asked 2 blow the baloon, first time negative result n he was asked to blow again, n he had refused and argued wz da cop, cop had taken his licence and asked him 2 collect it the following day, n when he went the next day matter was put 2 courts and he was fined 5,000/= 4 drunk driving..that's how police work in SL.

U were not there right.... Good excuse man... :lol:

We should know our rights and limits as well. In your boyfriends case, though justice is at his side, he has given an excuse to the cop to fine him for drunk driving. If he were to have kept a low profile and taken the test for the second time, he'd have escaped with no harm.

I know for sure that if you maintanin a low profile with cops they are easy on you, if you want to be smart with them you should really be in an influential position, else you are doomed(fined). So as Ash has said we should know our rights, but we should wisely choose to excercise them at the right time. (In the case Ash has mentioned it's good to have asserted the individual right but in nad's man's case it was rather unwise)

U were not there right.... Good excuse man... :lol:

:D , yeah the cops aren't all that bad and unkind to guys, I have been caught some 10-15 times (none for drunk drive though) and never been fined! the guy may have been drunk ... yeah who knows/jk

We should know our rights and limits as well. In your boyfriends case, though justice is at his side, he has given an excuse to the cop to fine him for drunk driving. If he were to have kept a low profile and taken the test for the second time, he'd have escaped with no harm.

I know for sure that if you maintanin a low profile with cops they are easy on you, if you want to be smart with them you should really be in an influential position, else you are doomed(fined). So as Ash has said we should know our rights, but we should wisely choose to excercise them at the right time. (In the case Ash has mentioned it's good to have asserted the individual right but in nad's man's case it was rather unwise)

:lol: , yeah the cops aren't all that bad and unkind to guys, I have been caught some 10-15 times (none for drunk drive though) and never been fined! the guy may have been drunk ... yeah who knows/jk

if your ever stopped for drunk driving and asked to blow a belloon... you straight away ask "ay sir polisiye partiyak da ?" lol... :D

if your ever stopped for drunk driving and asked to blow a belloon... you straight away ask "ay sir polisiye partiyak da ?" lol... :D

& they'll show u balloons & stars :lol:

if your ever stopped for drunk driving and asked to blow a belloon... you straight away ask "ay sir polisiye partiyak da ?" lol... :P

Believe it or not I was driving two weekends ago when a cop stops me on galle road and asks "mahattaya drinks ehema aragenada?(bin drinking)?" My friend sitting stoned in the passenger seat gets pissed off cos we had already bin stopped twice, asks "ow ralahami, ayi oyaatath ona da? (yea, you want some too?)" The cop looked stunned and I thought either my friend or all of us will get arrested on the spot, but fortunately the cop could see I was sober and let me go after the routine stuff. He seemed to find it funny in the end as well :)

Another nice officer on Galle Road informed me that "ekak dekak gahuwata kamak naha (ok to put one or two), but dont have more." Yea very easy for him to say, at the rate people after one beer are getting fined these days :)

Bottom line being that there are some nice cops on the streets, but not all of them think alike.

Btw, is that story one that took place in Sri Lanka? I donno about you guys but I dont know many people who would randomly stop when someone not in uniform asked them to.

Sri Lanka cops are the NEXT best thing over here.. lolz.. so far most of them are really friendly and let you go (sometimes with a small bribe) and normally I always get caught near the Kollupitiya junction and once i show them the luggage compartment, they just laugh and walk away :-) .. a big SOB sub .. lmao...

Zz

Sri Lanka cops are the NEXT best thing over here.. lolz.. so far most of them are really friendly and let you go (sometimes with a small bribe) and normally I always get caught near the Kollupitiya junction and once i show them the luggage compartment, they just laugh and walk away :-) .. a big SOB sub .. lmao...

Zz

I share the sentiment!

Zz

Those Kollupitiya cops are the same ones who catch me with around 8 ppl packed into a Sunny, saturday after saturday, and theys it was who told me that a couple of drinks are ok :)

Those Kollupitiya cops are the same ones who catch me with around 8 ppl packed into a Sunny, saturday after saturday, and theys it was who told me that a couple of drinks are ok :)

lolz.. those guys are kinda ok overall.. the toughest cops to deal with within colombo are the freakin pettah, wellawatte and maradana cops.. man.. those people got no heart.. but as always you ve gotta touch their weakpoints and sometimes their heart to get some mercy.. lolz.. as i said earlier.. my luggage area is my escape ticket practically always!! hehe..

Zz

Believe it or not I was driving two weekends ago when a cop stops me on galle road and asks "mahattaya drinks ehema aragenada?(bin drinking)?" My friend sitting stoned in the passenger seat gets pissed off cos we had already bin stopped twice, asks "ow ralahami, ayi oyaatath ona da? (yea, you want some too?)" The cop looked stunned and I thought either my friend or all of us will get arrested on the spot, but fortunately the cop could see I was sober and let me go after the routine stuff. He seemed to find it funny in the end as well :)

Another nice officer on Galle Road informed me that "ekak dekak gahuwata kamak naha (ok to put one or two), but dont have more." Yea very easy for him to say, at the rate people after one beer are getting fined these days :)

Bottom line being that there are some nice cops on the streets, but not all of them think alike.

Btw, is that story one that took place in Sri Lanka? I donno about you guys but I dont know many people who would randomly stop when someone not in uniform asked them to.

Heh, I got stopped a couple of years ago once. Buggers all set up to catch ppl leaving Clancy's. Bugger say "Mahattaya beelada?". I said, "naa ralahamy, mama bonney naa ney". Which is true, since I don't drink. Can't say the same about my buddy who was getting a ride with me :P then the buggers says "Ayo mahattaya, indala hitala poddak bonna epay?". I was too speechless to say anything. And then we went on our merry way.

There maybe some nice cops, but its fairly rare in my experience. The army and air force buggers at check points are always nice polite buggers but most cops tend to be rather aggressive and rude.

And the count for police guys asking me if I'm in the Air Force is now 3, when I get stopped wearing that Air Force Tshirt. I like to keep the dogtags hanging out too, when I get stopped. Combined with the shaved head... :D

hmmm...about 3 months back, i was teaching driving to my woman, we had the L boards, and she was driving nicely, then we had to pay a bill to mobitel, and i asked her to park in the mount lavania mobitel,(where ther is a car park 'Taiyo' and upstairs the mobitel office is.

and.. here comes the cop ' asking all details, saying that this is the bus stop and its not allowed to park in here and bla bla, and seeing the L boards he asks do u have a driver teaching license? i say No, he goes explanning rules and stuff' and said if everyone can teach driving wot are the driver schools for and so on... didnt argue with him. just asked him not 2 write the fine on the name of my girl friend.. dats all, asked him to write the fine on my name, very politly..

Never mind he asked the NIC from my woman, and wrote it against her name, and mentioned me that the fine would be for both parking and the teaching driving without license 7000/- something... FUxxKKK!

called dad on the way home, 'while i was driving' and the case is settled.

- u can teach driving to your family members ' son,daughter,sis,bro like wise, yeh could have said she is my family too, but didnt knw dat at the time we got caught.

:) , yeah the cops aren't all that bad and unkind to guys, I have been caught some 10-15 times (none for drunk drive though) and never been fined! the guy may have been drunk ... yeah who knows/jk

Well u may be true..coz he does have a very short temper..so I didnt even listen 2 da story much coz I know all this was unnecessory trouble :) but now he has the privillage of been driven around by me as his licence is suspended or something like that for a month..

hmmm...about 3 months back, i was teaching driving to my woman, we had the L boards, and she was driving nicely, then we had to pay a bill to mobitel, and i asked her to park in the mount lavania mobitel,(where ther is a car park 'Taiyo' and upstairs the mobitel office is.

and.. here comes the cop ' asking all details, saying that this is the bus stop and its not allowed to park in here and bla bla, and seeing the L boards he asks do u have a driver teaching license? i say No, he goes explanning rules and stuff' and said if everyone can teach driving wot are the driver schools for and so on... didnt argue with him. just asked him not 2 write the fine on the name of my girl friend.. dats all, asked him to write the fine on my name, very politly..

Never mind he asked the NIC from my woman, and wrote it against her name, and mentioned me that the fine would be for both parking and the teaching driving without license 7000/- something... FUxxKKK!

called dad on the way home, 'while i was driving' and the case is settled.

- u can teach driving to your family members ' son,daughter,sis,bro like wise, yeh could have said she is my family too, but didnt knw dat at the time we got caught.

hey Kim... can I have your Dad's phone number too ?

Well u may be true..coz he does have a very short temper..so I didnt even listen 2 da story much coz I know all this was unnecessory trouble :D but now he has the privillage of been driven around by me as his licence is suspended or something like that for a month..

he! he! me too have cherished the "been driven around by me " kinda cases ... :D

u can teach driving to your family members ' son,daughter,sis,bro like wise, yeh could have said she is my family too, but didnt knw dat at the time we got caught.

Machang thanks for that info, because I know a couple of people who have got fined in similar circumstances,even if it was family members! But wat exactly do we tell the cops when they try to fine us :D

yea well getting caught without a driver teaching licence happened to a friend...he wanted to teach a female friend to drive and gave her some room by reversing at high speed on galle road cos there was a roundabout a few yards ahead...girl takes over...drives upto roundabout...and who do they bump into at the roundabout?cops...and they saw EVERYTHING!he bullshitted his way out of the fine...but this was way before the fines jacked up...

sundown i think you know who i'm talking about :)