• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Problem Help..!!!!

nadskit

Question

Hi people,,,,

My car was running smoothly wzout any problems till last Saturday night...but on Sunday morning it wont start...(not even a cough from the engine, its all dead)..can it be the battery? but battery's new..replaced it only about 4 months back...any expert comments...??????? :D

18 answers to this question

Hi people,,,,

My car was running smoothly wzout any problems till last Saturday night...but on Sunday morning it wont start...(not even a cough from the engine, its all dead)..can it be the battery? but battery's new..replaced it only about 4 months back...any expert comments...??????? :D

Which car are we talking about here? Do the dashboard lights come on? Might be a loose terminal wire. Easiest thing to check is probably that.

Which car are we talking about here? Do the dashboard lights come on? Might be a loose terminal wire. Easiest thing to check is probably that.

This is the Mira, no.. dash board lights were not working, I also thought it could be due to a loose terminal but yesterday did a jump start n tightened what ever terminals running from the battery, then it was ok 4 awhile and I ran 4 a while too, but after about 3 hrs it went dead again..can it be something 2 do wz da alternater?

1.)Check if engine is still in there. :D JK

Did u atleast hear any clicks when turning the key? If as you say there is no sound from the engine when you turn the key, and yet it ran when you jump started it, then probably the problem might lie in the starting system. Best thing is to have the battery and starter motor inspected. Even if the battery is new, you may have got caught to a bad one, some cells may have corroded, might have got shorted out, anything. The fact that no lights came on makes me inclined to think its the battery, or some disconnected/messed up wiring. Any chance that there have been mice running amock in the engine compartment ?:D

This is the Mira, no.. dash board lights were not working, I also thought it could be due to a loose terminal but yesterday did a jump start n tightened what ever terminals running from the battery, then it was ok 4 awhile and I ran 4 a while too, but after about 3 hrs it went dead again..can it be something 2 do wz da alternater?

my closest first hand experiece(of a friend of mine's car) is a case where the power could reach the starter motor but the car wouldn't start. then it was a faulty distributor!

judging by the description, ur case might very well be the alternator I guess!

1) Check if engine is still in there. :D JK

2) Any chance that there have been mice running amock in the engine compartment ?:D

:D well said! ;)

Are all these sacastic comments b coz am a gurl....????????? :D

No not even a click...its totally dead.

No madam you have never been treated any bad coz u r a gurl... dat was not a fair thing to say! morgoth was just kiddin, being guys we face even worse jokes and sometimes even dizz... you gotta take all in good spirit... we got good memebership in AL! I guess u were also kiddin :D

I doubt its the alternator. If that goes bad, u get a battery warning light coz the battery wont charge, but the battery still provides power for the systems as long as it has it. So unless Nads was running around for a while with the battery light on...

Are all these sacastic comments b coz am a gurl....????????? :D

Nope, never said it cos ur a girl, I would have said it regardless :D Btw I was serious about the mice thing, because it can happen and they can wreak havoc. And since you say there's not a click, then can't be anything with the starting system but the battery itself...get it checked.

And since you say there's not a click, then can't be anything with the starting system but the battery itself...get it checked.

Fully agreed if its not the battery or the pwr cable you should atleast get a cliclk when you turn the key. or may be the key lock it self has gon bad ......(Just a sugetion never seen it happens).

Nipuna

Hi,

I think if no lights or nothing comes up it is possible one of the main fuses or a number of fuses have blown off because of a short circuit somewhere. And the fact that you had to tighten the battery terminals etc, might have contributed to it.

Because even if the battery is weak and not strong enough to start the car the dashboard lights do come on and the check system is activated, the only time i had something like this is when i was playing arround with the electrics and accidentally short circuited and blew a few fuses out,

I hope you get it sorted soon, good luck

Regards,

The Don

P.S. Yes I realised i blew a few fuses and had extra handy and fixed the problem myself, but this was a pre fuel injection car with less electrics.

No madam you have never been treated any bad coz u r a gurl... dat was not a fair thing to say! morgoth was just kiddin, being guys we face even worse jokes and sometimes even dizz... you gotta take all in good spirit... we got good memebership in AL! I guess u were also kiddin :D

Yah..yah me too kidding only.. :D , well I didnt check about the battery light thingy actually..anyway its in da garage now will c what happens..

Hi,

Problem solved..alternator was burnt..!!!

Good to hear, so like praveen suggested you drove arround until the battery went completely bust and didnt notice the warning light come on :( ?

Anyways good that its sorted, was it difficult to find an alternator for the mira or did you get it repaired ?

The Don

Good to hear, so like praveen suggested you drove arround until the battery went completely bust and didnt notice the warning light come on :( ?

Anyways good that its sorted, was it difficult to find an alternator for the mira or did you get it repaired ?

The Don

Yes I got a new one, since the agents 4 Daihatsu is our sister Co it was not that difficult..

Hey where exactly do u get this battery warning thingy??? :lol:

Yes I got a new one, since the agents 4 Daihatsu is our sister Co it was not that difficult..

Hey where exactly do u get this battery warning thingy??? :P

Jus by the engine... lol ...

In the dashboard along with other clutter of signal lights...

Yeah, just for kicks next time before you start the car, put the key to the on position, and watch as the dash board lights up, there would be a series of signs that get lit up, oil, battery / charge, temperature, catalytic converter etc, abs, airbag etc. and they should all go off when you start the car,

if there is anything which remains on, or comes up when you are driving you know you are in trouble :P

Regards,

The Don

Are all these sacastic comments b coz am a gurl....????????? ;)

Mice running amok is no joke gurl.....The buggers could do a lota damage to the wiring....I had to put a ball of chicken mesh in the air filter opening cause the blighters started getting in to the air filter compartment and snacking on the filter....

Cheers

Edited by Newbi

Yeah, just for kicks next time before you start the car, put the key to the on position, and watch as the dash board lights up, there would be a series of signs that get lit up, oil, battery / charge, temperature, catalytic converter etc, abs, airbag etc. and they should all go off when you start the car,

if there is anything which remains on, or comes up when you are driving you know you are in trouble :lol:

Regards,

The Don

Thanks Don, normally I do look in to those but in this case I think I must've missed it coz am so busy these days been driving around like mad..!!!!!!!