• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Are We Sri Lankans Upto It??

hefraz

Question

I was wondering about the level of expertise our local mechanics have in the face of newer technology which seems to be coming out with every new model.

There are HKS drop in turbo's for my engine and I could bring one down, but I am in doubt whether there is anyone here who could fit it properly and would also have the the knowledge to program a piggyback ECU to take in the added boost.

Whilst I am not planning on fixing a turbo to my car, at least not in the near future. Do we have mechs or garages who can pull it off as well as say the Singaporeans, and Malaysians??

6 answers to this question

I was wondering about the level of expertise our local mechanics have in the face of newer technology which seems to be coming out with every new model.

There are HKS drop in turbo's for my engine and I could bring one down, but I am in doubt whether there is anyone here who could fit it properly and would also have the the knowledge to program a piggyback ECU to take in the added boost.

Whilst I am not planning on fixing a turbo to my car, at least not in the near future. Do we have mechs or garages who can pull it off as well as say the Singaporeans, and Malaysians??

Don't know about the typical mechanic dude, but I can assure you there are people who are quite capable of doing that and more :grinning-smiley-003:

If you ever do decide to go down that path, I am sure people in this forum would point you in the right direction.

The Don

interesting question hefraz

IMHO ; we definitely have the talent, creativity and (a HUGE) ability to improvise. What our mechs seem to lack is the respect for engineered designs in our late model vecicles..some of our guys simply ignore what they can't (or don’t wanna bother to) comprehend. I dont think that manufacturers will put anything in a car that they don’t feel is essential.

However, when u ask about dropping a turbo, it depends...is it a tailor-made system for a certain model and comes with all parts needed for the job? or is it just the turbine and matbe a BOV where every other pc has to be engineered and fabbed? You cant realistically expect a mechanic to do an Engineer's job (shameless self preservation plug :grinning-smiley-003: )

Unless the guy understands all aspects of the upgrade (reading specs and maps to electronics etc.) I wouldn’t trust a first timer unless he (or she :) ) has done it a few times before.

Also do we have proper diagnostics tools and mandrel benders? or even get stock Al 90deg, U pipes and such in SL?

on the other hand : it also depends on the size of ur wallet...can u afford to take a hit by going with a newbie? some engines are cheaper than some tubo setups...

I'm interested to see who on the forum has dropped a turbo if any...I'd like to some pics of a turbo setup done in SL..

cheers

Edited by dhp

I think you will be pleasently surprised too see how competent some of the tuners and mechanics in SL are. I dont think you will find it too hard to find someone to do the job for you.

interesting question hefraz

IMHO ; we definitely have the talent, creativity and (a HUGE) ability to improvise. What our mechs seem to lack is the respect for engineered designs in our late model vecicles..some of our guys simply ignore what they can't (or don’t wanna bother to) comprehend. I dont think that manufacturers will put anything in a car that they don’t feel is essential.

However, when u ask about dropping a turbo, it depends...is it a tailor-made system for a certain model and comes with all parts needed for the job? or is it just the turbine and matbe a BOV where every other pc has to be engineered and fabbed? You cant realistically expect a mechanic to do an Engineer's job (shameless self preservation plug :grinning-smiley-003: )

Unless the guy understands all aspects of the upgrade (reading specs and maps to electronics etc.) I wouldn’t trust a first timer unless he (or she :) ) has done it a few times before.

Also do we have proper diagnostics tools and mandrel benders? or even get stock Al 90deg, U pipes and such in SL?

on the other hand : it also depends on the size of ur wallet...can u afford to take a hit by going with a newbie? some engines are cheaper than some tubo setups...

I'm interested to see who on the forum has dropped a turbo if any...I'd like to some pics of a turbo setup done in SL..

cheers

In this case what Hefraz is suggesting is very easily done because he is referring to a HKS turbo kit built for his car so it comes with all the gear necessary for the upgrade, and thus to a large deggree is a bolt on job.

As far as the tools and electronical diagnostic gear is concerned, you would be quite supprised by the ability of Sri Lankans to improvise when the exact gear is not arround, Basically can mention a few places where the tubes etc can be sourced, I know certian stuff is in short supply but I think there are enough and more sources to import it if absolutely necessary,

And is it Nigel who makes and sells Turbo kits meant for the EP82 Starlet GT, so there you go, I think there are people more than capable of tuning up any car to any standard as long as the dough to support such an upgrade is available,

I think the turbo DHP would really like to see is the one dropped into the soluna, if the owner is a member of this forum.

The Don

Thanks Don

I am glad to hear that...I would love to see that Soluna tubro u mentioned....( not familiar with the model, looks like a non-US model)

I figured if I ever moved back to SL, I proly wont be shelling out 2-4 mil for a car with decent power, but rather be boosting up a grocery getter. From what u say, I should be ok if I get a bolt-on kit...this is very good news for me :grinning-smiley-003:

regards

-Hari

Thanks Don

I am glad to hear that...I would love to see that Soluna tubro u mentioned....( not familiar with the model, looks like a non-US model)

I figured if I ever moved back to SL, I proly wont be shelling out 2-4 mil for a car with decent power, but rather be boosting up a grocery getter. From what u say, I should be ok if I get a bolt-on kit...this is very good news for me :grinning-smiley-003:

regards

-Hari

Hi Hari,

Well I have seen a few jobs done with locally sourced Turbo's but a lot of them are sourced from scrap yards in SL and a lot of them don't last that long and start leaking oil, and I hope somebody can educate me as to why, of course it maybe because they have had heavy use before being removed, or lying dormant for a while has damaged the interior of the turbo,

Most notably I have noted the job done on the Rav 4 of a very famous racing driver, and though it does look very improvised it does its job pretty well, though sadly the turbo didnt last very long. But then again a replacement is very easily found :)

But I have not noticed the same problem with vehicles upgraded with brand new turbo kits ........

Remember though upgrading a car with a turbo is not as simple as just bolting on a turbo and expecting the power to rise, the engine internals should be upgraded to accomodate high compression (stronger conrods and pistons) and modifications to the engine management system must be made (I guess easiest done with a piggy back ecu) and off you go he he :)

The Don