• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Fouled Spark Plug - Oil Leak

X Driver

Question

One mechanic told after checking the plugs of my car that one of the spark plugs fouled due to oil leak. he said I will have to change that particular plug every 5000km.

But the car doesn't produce a blue smoke.

I read some topics on the internet about the oil leak into the combustion chamber. They suggest using high grade oils may some times reduce the oil leak (high viscocity of the oil might seal the leaks).

Anybody have such experience? Please comment.

7 answers to this question

One mechanic told after checking the plugs of my car that one of the spark plugs fouled due to oil leak. he said I will have to change that particular plug every 5000km.

But the car doesn't produce a blue smoke.

I read some topics on the internet about the oil leak into the combustion chamber. They suggest using high grade oils may some times reduce the oil leak (high viscocity of the oil might seal the leaks).

Anybody have such experience? Please comment.

I have a car (vigor) with a similar problem...anytime I take off the ignition wire there is oil on one plug, my mech said that the oil simply leaks in from the headgasket into the back end of the plug (not the firing end). Therefore I dont have any issues with oil in combustion chamber, just need to replace the gasket. Sounds like u have a similar issue.. what is ur car?

Hi,

I think the big question is is it an internal oil leak as in oil leaking to the combustion chamber or oil leaking externally as dhp suggests,

I think if oil is getting into the combustion chamber its either worn valve seats (but as you said the car should smoke at high revs, tiny white smoke) or worn piston rings in which case you need a new set of rings or a complete engine overhaul.

I think dhp has already provided the answer if the problem is external, either its an oil seal somewhere, or the head gasket leaking unless you have an external oil line somewhere (maybe to an oil cooler or a oil breather / seperator tank) which is leaking,

The Don

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't have enough knowledge to ask the mechanic about form where the leak was. But he said that if we open the engine for repair then we may not have parts to replace. That means he was talking about an engine overhaul right?

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't have enough knowledge to ask the mechanic about form where the leak was. But he said that if we open the engine for repair then we may not have parts to replace. That means he was talking about an engine overhaul right?

No, I think he means the internal parts, not a complete overhaul, such as head gasket, valve seats etc, but now the question is what is your car for your mechanic to talk about having difficulty sourcing parts for it

The Don

No, I think he means the internal parts, not a complete overhaul, such as head gasket, valve seats etc, but now the question is what is your car for your mechanic to talk about having difficulty sourcing parts for it

The Don

Its a toyota corolla (yom 1995). Is it possible to get the parts for this car? If so, how much would it cost for the repair?

Its a toyota corolla (yom 1995). Is it possible to get the parts for this car? If so, how much would it cost for the repair?

If its a Corolla AE100 which is what it probably is parts should be plenty for this car and even if you had to do a complete overhaul I think you are still looking at about 60K I think,

Engines are plentiful too should you need one to replace the current one,

I think it should be a much simpler thing to sort out than having to do a complete overhaul from the limited information you have given us, a recon engine would set you back about 25-40K I think, and an overhaul about 50 60K

The Don