• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Market flooding with Fit GP1 - What to look out for?

HaeylM

Hello there,

I have recently noticed the secondhand car market flooding with Honda Fit GP1's, mostly 2012-13 models going a lot cheaper and close to the price of 2007-8 Vitz's and cheaper brand new kei's (wagon R). Basically within the price range of 2.7 Mil to 2.9 Mil. 

I checked around and most of these cars had a history of engine repair with pistons being replaced and records of engine oil burning. (Mostly in the 10th Anniversary model and a few 2012-13 ones)

1) Is the reason why people are letting go of this car for a lot cheaper than other cars in the market because of this problem? ( Some cars had like 75-80 K done and the engine repair was done at 40-45K, So im guessing they think its time for the engine to go nuts again?) 

2) Or is there any specific hybrid battery issues or electrical issues that not many are aware of ? ( I checked the forum and the engine issues are well reported but did not notice posts on electrical faults) 

3) Is it a good idea to go ahead and own a GP1 if i'm planning to use it for 3-4 more years with an average daily run of 10-12KM with regular service? 

You can even get a GP5 under 3 million. Plenty around.Selling prices are much lower than asking prices on most cars nowadays.Much better car. But watch-out for dual clutch issue(its like 200k for a repair,said a guy who did it. Used to be 400k.)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HaeylM said:

1) Is the reason why people are letting go of this car for a lot cheaper than other cars in the market because of this problem? ( Some cars had like 75-80 K done and the engine repair was done at 40-45K, So im guessing they think its time for the engine to go nuts again?) 

2) Or is there any specific hybrid battery issues or electrical issues that not many are aware of ? ( I checked the forum and the engine issues are well reported but did not notice posts on electrical faults) 

3) Is it a good idea to go ahead and own a GP1 if i'm planning to use it for 3-4 more years with an average daily run of 10-12KM with regular service? 

I've had a GP1 from 2015-2018 and it was an absolutely trouble free car and the only thing I had to do other than regular services was to replace the wiper blades. I sold the car at 62,000 Km and did not have any issues with the engine-oil leak issue and the hybrid battery was at 75%. 

1) Probably mass-hysteria about the issue and/or the fact that newer kei's are around so to be really competitive you HAVE to reduce the price. Also people bought these cars unreg for 3 Mill initially so a 2~3 lakh depreciation is not that bad for a hybrid.

2) Many of my friends had (and some still have) the same car and none have reported any issues with the hybrid battery the ONLY major issue I've heard about is the engine oil leak issue which is very well documented. 

3) The GP1 is  waaay more car than any Kei, or the vacuum-cleaner-on-wheels-vitz will ever be. It has a bit of the old-school Japanese car about it (before the GP5 went all Transformers on the Fit line up) the hybrid system is simple and uncomplicated, no DCT - just a good old CVT box, tough and reliable and with stuff like cruise control (and even paddle shift on some models) It has a nice balance of Old-and new without being overly gadgety and troublesome (GP5-Vezel-Grace) For 2.6-2.7 it would be a good buy, however you should probably anticipate a hybrid batter related issue if you're gonna use it for 4 years - since in 2024 it will be 12 years old. The engine oil burn issue fix is now quite commonly done and cheaper than when it was just the agents who had the know-how to sort it out

Edited by matroska
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, matroska said:

The engine oil burn issue fix is now quite commonly done and cheaper than when it was just the agents who had the know-how to sort it out

@matroskawhat causes the oil burn on the GP1? 

What exactly is the mandated remedy for the situation?

On 6/10/2020 at 12:28 AM, Devinda_Z said:

@matroskawhat causes the oil burn on the GP1? 

What exactly is the mandated remedy for the situation?

Well apparently there is a design fault in a batch of engines by Honda (GP1/GE6/Insight) -due to an issue with the Piston design sludge forms around the piston  ring reducing the seal-ability of the ring and as a result oil seeps through into the combustion chamber. There was a recall by Honda in Japan but since all the units here were grey imports they were not eligible. The remedy was to replace the pistons and piston rings. 

3 hours ago, matroska said:

Well apparently there is a design fault in a batch of engines by Honda (GP1/GE6/Insight) -due to an issue with the Piston design sludge forms around the piston  ring reducing the seal-ability of the ring and as a result oil seeps through into the combustion chamber. There was a recall by Honda in Japan but since all the units here were grey imports they were not eligible. The remedy was to replace the pistons and piston rings. 

Doesn't sound like too much trouble, at least in relation to issues like the DCT drama in that this sounds like a straightforward fix ?