• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Noise In Cabin

Vtechman

Question

Hi guys,

I recently got myself a sonata h-matic. The car is in v.good condition but whenever I'm on the move there is a small vibration noise in the cabin. An investigation from my part revealed that the noise was coming from the rear view mirror........cause when I touch it the sounds goes off immediately. Any views on how I can get rid of this annoying buzzy sound?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Resonance man resonance :P Probably it's humming in tune with your engine. I really don't know how to change that except changing the mirror. Well I'm guessing this is the problem anyway :P

Ok..........the chances are you are right! It's down to the bloody mirror being attracted to the Waltz of the engine! I was just wondering whether there was any shock proof material that could be jammed in to prevent this sort of thing happening? Or else I'll just go change the freakin mirror! :D

Hi Vtechman,

I used to have the same sort of problem with one of my own cars some time back, it depends on where the vibration is originating from, whether at the point where the mirror is in contact with the door or within the mirror itself,

Basically in my case it was where the plastic touches the door, so I cut out a thin price of rubber sheet (can be tar sheets used for roofing or even rubber carper, but cant be too thick) and then cut it in the shape of the plastic and placed it as a washer between the plastic and the metal of the door and walla the noise is gone,

you can also get noise dedening material though i am not sure if you get the stuff in SL, you know those rubbers on the floor and all over the car to deaden the noise,

also sometimes a bit of lubrication in the form of WD40 or some non drying plastic gel (you can improvise) may be used in strategic places to deden the vibration,

just some ideas mate :D

The Don

Hi Don,

Thanks for the very useful suggestions.......this vibration comes from the rear view mirror and not the side view mirror hence the mirror is attached to the front windshield.

Then man need to figure out which part of the mirror is making the noise, if its the ball joint the mirror rotates arround maybe a bit of lubrication arround the joint using a gel like lubricant might solve the problem, or if there is an adjusting screw by adjusting the screw or tightening it (older cars had this, i dunno if newer ones still have the adjusting screw )

if its the mirror glass on the plastic then a bit of silicone carefully placed arround where the glass meets the plastic should dampen the vibration

if its the joint where the mirror is attached the the windshield a bit of silicone might solve the problem there too, but need to be careful that you do a neat job :D

The Don