• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tata Aria

Ministry

Our neighbour is trying to do a sports coupe!!!

its been in the news from 2001 ,finally they gonna release it next year middle!!

Cheap sports cars for us atlast hehe

Model -> Aria Coupe

Engine Location-> Front

Drive Type -> Front Wheel

Engine Configuration -> I

Cylinders -> 4

Aspiration/Induction -> Normal

Displacement -> 1.60 L | 97.6 cu in. | 1599.7 cc.

Horsepower -> 140.00 BHP (103 KW)

Gears -> 5

Transmission -> Manual

tata20aria1pj4.jpg

Shaaaah, not bad. Thank you for the great Information bro..

I am sure TATA will even introduce a Dieasel Version also, just like they did with the indica

Tata sportscar? How do you pronouce Aria anyway? Imagine what a joke that'll be in SL, "Tata Aria" :D

its been in the news from 2001 ,finally they gonna release it next year middle!!

Model -> Aria Coupe

Engine Location-> Front

Cylinders -> 4

Gears -> 5

Transmission -> Manual

tata20aria1pj4.jpg

Model -> Aria Coupe

Engine Location-> Front

Cylinders -> 4

Gears -> 5

Transmission -> Manual

tata20aria1pj4.jpg

Sorry about that! What I wanted to say is this.......... I think TATA is going the wrong way here. We all know Racing technology is very expensive. That's why the Roadsters & the highflying sporties like the Porsche GTs, Ferraris, Lambos etc are few and far between.......in fact what's happening here is your giving the guy buying this piece of crap the look but not the performance.......I bet you the modified Civics & Co. will have this for dinner. So all in all this will be a little embarrassing as you really won't have the muscle and handling needed to go with the looks...........not to mention the badge :D

Sorry about that! What I wanted to say is this.......... I think TATA is going the wrong way here. We all know Racing technology is very expensive. That's why the Roadsters & the highflying sporties like the Porsche GTs, Ferraris, Lambos etc are few and far between.......in fact what's happening here is your giving the guy buying this piece of crap the look but not the performance.......I bet you the modified Civics & Co. will have this for dinner. So all in all this will be a little embarrassing as you really won't have the muscle and handling needed to go with the looks...........not to mention the badge :D

This is probably another venture to get the indian youngies... Btw Hyundai also has got "sports" cars, and ppl are not complaining!

Hyundai, TATA and whoever else in that status may have 'sports cars' but no one will ever take them seriously in our life time. At the end of the day you will be taken in as a wannabe! I mean for TATA to even consider such aggressive lines is hilariuos! Just my opinion.

Yes.. True.. There is a huge difference between "Sports Cars" and "Sporty Looking Cars". I think this belongs to the latter category. But if anyone thinks of these as a mode of transport with a little bit of an extra edge than the average car, those ppl will buy this.. I mean this is a convertible, two seater, red in color, So ppl who would like to go for these characteristics for a fracion of the cost of an original Sports car, would surely buy one of these..

And also, there will definietly be a market for this in India coz those ppl have a thing for their "own" creations u know.. :D

Overall i think its a good effort by TATA.. Nothin like tryin u know..

Hi Guys,

I think its really irrelevent for Tata if it sells in little Sri Lanka or not since they are bound to sell in truck loads in India and hey thats a potentially 1 Billion people market place so who really cares about 20 odd million.

Plus something about Indian's which is admirable, though their local products were not up to imported ones, people have always bought the local products and that has allowed the local products to really come up and I guess everybody would aggree that their products and the range has improved dramatically over the years and will continue to improve.

Don't diss the car before it arrives, I mean remember the good old Proton Satria, its a truly respectable sports car with brilliant handeling thanks to the Lotus tuned suspention and hey Proton owns Lotus now so their cars would continue to improve in that depts,

Also to the best of my knowledge the Hyundai Coupe' was always considered a very respectable sports car, I read my first review of it in the Newsweek magazine of 1998 when they do a round up of all the new cars coming into the market and they certainly had nothing bad to say about the car, and I see quite a few of them being driven arround over here.

So hey who knows the tata might be a hit, if it isnt certain somewhere down the line they will produce something to be proud about cos TELCO is probably india's biggest single company and they have massive amounts of money and resources to invest in their products,

The Don

Hi Guys,

I think its really irrelevent for Tata if it sells in little Sri Lanka or not since they are bound to sell in truck loads in India and hey thats a potentially 1 Billion people market place so who really cares about 20 odd million.

Plus something about Indian's which is admirable, though their local products were not up to imported ones, people have always bought the local products and that has allowed the local products to really come up and I guess everybody would aggree that their products and the range has improved dramatically over the years and will continue to improve.

Don't diss the car before it arrives, I mean remember the good old Proton Satria, its a truly respectable sports car with brilliant handeling thanks to the Lotus tuned suspention and hey Proton owns Lotus now so their cars would continue to improve in that depts,

Also to the best of my knowledge the Hyundai Coupe' was always considered a very respectable sports car, I read my first review of it in the Newsweek magazine of 1998 when they do a round up of all the new cars coming into the market and they certainly had nothing bad to say about the car, and I see quite a few of them being driven arround over here.

So hey who knows the tata might be a hit, if it isnt certain somewhere down the line they will produce something to be proud about cos TELCO is probably india's biggest single company and they have massive amounts of money and resources to invest in their products,

The Don

well when i raised the question of whether we wud see it here or not it was not based on economics but purely on academic interest to see if people wud buy it here if it were to be made available......although Indians may buy it my guess is us s/lankans wont.

Yeps, Could be, I am sure Tata would get involved with F1 again if it had the chance, maybe with another Indian driver, Bottom line is even if this one is not so good, I am sure they would be able to put together a decent sports car in the next few years,

I think whats driving this trend is the rise of the middle class in India and more and more people can afford more luxuaries as the country becomes wealthier, Even JCB opened a plant in India to specifically cater to the growing demand in the sub continent,

I am curious under the Indo Sri Lanka FTA do vehicles imported from india get a special duty concession ? which makes them cheaper than lets say vehicles imported from Korea ?.

The Don

I think whats driving this trend is the rise of the middle class in India and more and more people can afford more luxuaries as the country becomes wealthier, Even JCB opened a plant in India to specifically cater to the growing demand in the sub continent,

I am curious under the Indo Sri Lanka FTA do vehicles imported from india get a special duty concession ? which makes them cheaper than lets say vehicles imported from Korea ?.

The Don

Hi,

Recently I read an article about Tata planing to manufacture a cheap car to contest with Maruti.Their mark up price will be sth like 1500- 2000 USD.That will probably target middle & even poor class.Gvt is 100 % backing their products.

Wonder why our gvt make every possible effort to frustrate our only car manufacturer who also doesn't understand& cater to local demand ......!

Hey guys

Dont under estimate TATA

this is one of the richest company in the world. the reason why they produce cheap cars is to satisfy all the middle class family in India

Guess what they are not doing TATA ARIA alone, its been designed from Italy and its not going to be a mass production and its going to be a limited edition :D

It was showcased in Geneva Motor show in 2001,, Its not a joke u cant just showcase dumy looking cheap sports cars there

http://archive.cardesignnews.com/events/ge...oupe/index.html

Look back in Top gear mag ,i can remember reading about it and Jeremy was apreciation bit about its dashboard and s been rated as middle class sports car

Lets stop comparing with Japanese,, we all know that they are far forward in motoring world than us lol

Say in a conversation you are having with your friends whom you met after ALs...

So one will say "ahh machang how, after a long time...oh what that car you are driving..isnt that a Mazda Axela, shaaa poshh no". Then the other friend will say " Machang i drive a Nissan Primera", then your other friend will say " Machang im driving a Civic, and i love it.." How can you possibily open your mouth and say "I drive a TATA?" It will straight away bring all your friend's minds to a TATA lorry or a bus.

Even though Harpic is a good toilet cleaner and its proven what if it made toothpastes? It will be called Harpic Toothpaste.People might think twice before they put it in their mouth. TATA is known for heavy duty vehicles, not sports cars..

Unless they marketed with another name for the buyer who wants to go for a coupe/car....

Edited by Hola

Yeps, Could be, I am sure Tata would get involved with F1 again if it had the chance, maybe with another Indian driver, Bottom line is even if this one is not so good, I am sure they would be able to put together a decent sports car in the next few years,

Well Tata is involved in F1 and in a big way with Williams. Narayan is the team's second test driver. Nothing to laugh about... TaTa has the bucks to be here to stay.

williamlaunch200612ir5.jpg

Even though Harpic is a good toilet cleaner and its proven what if it made toothpastes? It will be called Harpic Toothpaste.People might think twice before they put it in their mouth. TATA is known for heavy duty vehicles, not sports cars..

Unless they marketed with another name for the buyer who wants to go for a coupe/car....

I hear Siddhalepa makes toothpaste too.. and has been successful for some years..

Some companies like Volvo are known in certain European countries more for their busses and trucks than their cars...that doesn't make them think twice before they get a Volvo car I'm guessing. Are Tata busses and trucks reliable? If so there's no reason why their cars need not be. If, however, the sportscar feels like it's made of plastic and crumples up with the slightest touch, then nobody is going to go for it. You don't want to be riding around in an eggshell at 200kmph do u?

If Tata uses a smart marketing and advertising campaign, and proves that the new cars are actualy what they are claimed to be, then I see no reason why it can't be successful in the global market in a few years time.

But damn, they need to change the name, Tata Aria :lol:

yea true, initially everyone will laugh at u

well its south asian product,, lets apreciate it and it seems to be not a cheaper one like other Tata product

well for the Honda thing u were talking

if i say outside that i drive a Honda, people will look down on me as a poor dude in my country

but gradually honda is catching by different technics.. the latest one is by introducing the new diesel engine (anybody saw that add "Hate Something Change Something") by making a presence to conserve our environment like wat toyota is doing out here

if ya own a toyota Prius everyone consider u as a good well manered person here haha loadz of respect..trust me guys lol lots of celebrities are running Prius these days

14tata1zy5.jpg

Edited by Ministry

Ha ha, well guys I think even the MX 5 had identity issues when it started off as a sports car, but hey its the best selling roadster in the world, I think apart from branding people eventually embrace a good product irrespective of where it comes from and who makes it,

As for the Sri Lankan automotive industry I think its a sad tale, I am not sure what the car market in SL is like for new car sales, but it certainly isnt as big as say India, and thus it might be difficult for a private venture to make a profitable business making cars for the domestic market at the initial stages,

Even Maruti was succesful since it had the Indian government as a stakeholder,

I think at some point or the other we as a country need to move away from various FTA's and protect and encourage our own industries (which unfortunately isnt a concept which the world bank likes, or is part of a free ecconomy but hey even the big guns like the US and especially japan do it).

I mean look at what happened to the Sri Lankan bus building industry, its nearly vanished with Latec and D*MO hardly making any cos its cheaper to import the same from India. Bloddy ridiculous I say. If anything there should have been more tax concessions made to local manufacturers and the duty on imported items increased to make the local products more competitive but no,

we are mega taxing diesel vehicles who are essentially more fuel efficient, and since we import fuel should result in a saving on the money we have to import fuel.

We are mega taxing automobile imports, if anything what we should do is drop tax on brand new vehicles so people are encouraged to buy brand new vs used, which would last longer and pollute less, because enviromentally speaking it is better for people to use newer vehicles than older vehicles ..... but no,

Thus India is making Sports Cars and We are still not even making motor cycles :lol:

The Don

Well said Hola and Don :(

Never underestimate a car without even testing it by your own hands

I agree.. 100%.. Good points Don..

Well, discussions like this should come up more often at A/L i think.. These adds up more spice to the forums u know.. Other than just talkin about kinda same stuff all the time.. :D

yep its true am sick of talking against people and defending some in the racing community all da time,,, lets keep them all aside for a while and do something different haha

I personally will buy an Aria if its under 20k.. man 140BHP standard woooo we can modify it to the max

more than that with some body kits from our big bros in SL will make this a stunning chicks magnet vehicle lol

An alternate version of MR2!!

TATA ARIA

tataariazi6.jpg

Edited by Ministry