• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Usability of 35000 usd CIF permit in 2021 for a Merc

AJ BA

In the current COVID situation and import ban what is the use of 35000 usd cif permit, is it possible to get a Merc like CLA 180,  CLA 200 or C200. Since we can buy a unregistered car from an authorized dealer with tax concessions after new circulars, is the above models are available within that permit range? Need some thoughts on this.

Edited by AJ BA
Added more info
  • Haha 1

Best thing for you to do is to call up the agent and ask them. 

I don't think any of our membes work at the Merc agent to have inside knowledge of what stocks are available and what the company can offer for permits. Things change quite rapidly these days so the best for you is to get first hand details from the agent. 

• Like 1

Yes...they are the officially appointed agent for the brand in SL. So they directly represent the manufacturer and when you buy a car you directly get the manufacturer's warranty and othe services that are relevant to the country.

I am pretty sure there are grey importers who have conenctions to Benz dealers in Europe (or othe regions); but then you are at the mercy of a third party if and when you need after sales services. So at the end of the day the risk might not be worth it...

• Like 1

@AJ BAWhat is this 35,000 dollar permit you are referring to? As far as I know the 35,000 dollar permit was issued way back in 2012-2015. The conditions changed drastically since then.

I'm sure there is nothing in the market in the MB range that you could find to fit your permit. Reason one being there are no duty paid imports unregistered. reason two, even though there maybe duty paid cars none would fit the US$ 35,000 price. they were all in the Euro 35,000 to 42,000 range. Reason 3, no sane person would give his / her vehicle below 3.5mil the cost just because of a piece of paper which has no validity.

Dont take me wrong but that is the reality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gummybr said:

duty paid cars none would fit the US$ 35,000 price. they were all in the Euro 35,000 to 42,000 range

What are the conditions now ? There was a time period where if you buy a car that exceeds the permit entitled value, you pay standard duty rates on the excess amount. I suppose that has been taken off ?

13 hours ago, AJ BA said:

@iRage Thanks for the info, @Gummybr Sorry for the confusion, I was referring the retirement permit group 3. The paper work mentions 35000 usd. I hope the amount is correct. I think the better option is to wait till the ban gets lifted.

Retirement permit category 3 means you get Rs. 12,000,000/- off the duty, so you got to look for a 2000cc petrol vehicle to make use of this permit. There is no CIF limit last time I checked. Again you will have the same issues which I mentioned before.

@iRage no more CIF cap on permits. The normal government servants permit gives you a reduction of Rs. 3,600,000/- off the duty, the Category 1 retirement gives Rs. 22,000,000/- off the duty, Category 2 retirement gives Rs. 16,000,000/- and Category 3 retirement gives Rs. 12,000,000/-.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AJ BA said:

@Gummybr one last clarification does it have to be definitely more than 2000cc to use the retirement group 3 permit?

Ok how to explain this.

The reason why I suggested to get a vehicle with atleast 2000cc engine capacity is because its duty would be Rs. 12,600,000/-. A 1500cc vehicle attracts a duty of approx Rs. 5,500,000/-. So you will not get the full benefit of the duty concession. If your budget is not that very big, in an ideal situation where imports are not banned you could have sold the permit and got a vehicle through a normal govt servants permit like the others do, you would have got about Rs. 6,000,000/- to hand. But then again it is not legal but people do it as the government thinks permits is a way of rewarding the government servants (or a means of showing that its a benefit for them), its a well know practice where the biggest culprits are the MP's who are given the permits to make money to cover their election expenses.

• Like 1