• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Converting a Sedan to a hardtop

Restorer

Hi, there is an original 90s car which is a four door sedan. The book is original and everything is 100% legal right now. I wanted to know if it is possible to convert it to a hardtop. Is this prohibited by law? If not, does this require updating the book or relevant authorities? 

There is a hardtop version of this car and I love the styling of it. Any advise would be much appreciated.

What is the car ? A bluebird ? Vista ?

Irrespective of the legal requirements....just don't try to convert a sedan to a hardtop. It is NOT as simple as cutting off door frames or the B-pillar (some have the b-pillar, some don't). All these components add to the rigidity of the car's body.  Cutting off B pillars and door frames is going to make the body weak so when driving the car will be wobbly (i.e. you will experience the body twisting when cornering, etc..). So you will essentially kill the driving dynamics of it. Most of all this can and will also compromise the safety of the car (if its not done properly) Although the components of a hardtop and standard sedan looks more or less the same, the hardtop has extra strenghtening within the body/frame to compensate for the lack of b-pillars and door frames, etc...So to do it roperly you willneed to figure out how you can reinforce the body from the roof to the sides to the floor board. Then also look at adding extra weld points to the frame for added rigidity.

Beyond that there is also the issue with the interior. You need to sort out where and how the seat belts are going to be mounted how the interior panelling can be done up nicely (you could get the interior panels of an actual hardop variant and fit it to your sedan but they might not be a direct fit).

Now granted there are a lot of maka baases who have converted sedans and hatchbacks to everything from convertibles to pickup trucks to maybe even hardtops. But they all look like utter s***.

So..not to discourage you...a sedan to hardtop conversion is going to be a near impossible project to do properly. It can definitely be done, but will require a lot of money, time and most importantly really really really good engineers and mechanics. 

• Thanks 1

Hi @iRage, thanks for the detailed reply.

Actually this car comes in both hardtop and sedan versions. the interior is the exact same. I wasn't thinking of cutting of parts of the frame to accomplish it. I do not want to go into details as I don't know if this forum allows discussion of such matters 😉

Before doing so, wanted to know if there are legal issues with this conversion.

5 hours ago, Restorer said:

Hi @iRage, thanks for the detailed reply.

Actually this car comes in both hardtop and sedan versions. the interior is the exact same. I wasn't thinking of cutting of parts of the frame to accomplish it. I do not want to go into details as I don't know if this forum allows discussion of such matters 😉

Before doing so, wanted to know if there are legal issues with this conversion.

We definitely LOVE talking about modifications and restorations...so don't hold back.

The interior bit is probably the last of your concerns. Cutting off pillars and frames create rigidity issues. So even if the sedan and hardtop versions both look alike, the hardtop would have extra reinforcement in terms of extra welds, added support bars in the frame, inner lower doors, etc....so it is not a matter of just chopping off things.

Absolutely I agree, I don't plan on cutting off the B pillar and be done with it. I

'm planning to install the body of the hardtop to the sedan entirely. Cutting off the pillars and strengthening it with our local baas wouldn't exactly give the same experience as the factory released hardtop does :)  

I'm just worried about the legal aspect of it

14 hours ago, Restorer said:

m planning to install the body of the hardtop to the sedan entirely

This is going to be your very first legal issue. You need the frame of a hardtop because that is where most of the strengthening is at. As you may know, you simply cannot import frames and chassis of vehicles, only removable body panels. Getting the removal body panels is not going to fully sort out your rigidity issues.

In the past the RMV and customs issues special body permits where you can import an entire body to restore a car which has a body that cannot be fixed (a lot of 4x4 from the armed forces got restored this way). I am not sure if they still have it. 

If you do manage to get a frame....legally with a body permit (if available); then you will automatically be re-registering or updating the book (there is a whole host of paper work you need to do with the RMV before you get the permit) .

If you don't get a body permit then it is the same as what people used to do in terms of body swaps (the term gedi comes to mind). Which means  you now have a new chassis number, etc...that is different from what is in the book. In turn this makes your registration invalid and illegal. You cannot re-register the car again as well (because the chassis number, etc.. has changed). You should not bribe anyone to do it...people have done that in the past and have had cars confiscated, etc....

So your first order of business is to figure out how you can bring the "body" (i.e. frame)over.