• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering Squeeks!!!

noaim

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi,

A Friend of mine took his Civic to the agents with the same issue and they told him it's a common problem in recon Civics is nothing to worry about. Said it only needed servicing and fixed it when they serviced the car. That too had electric power steering.

Possibly yours could be the same type of problem.

I hear a squeeking sound originating i think from the steering coloumn when ever i turn the wheel; and there's no steering fluid as its seems 2 be electronic.

Anyone else have the same problem in their march's?

Can u confirm its electronic power steering?

Read through this page. Might be helpful for u.

http://www.2carpros.com/topics/steering.htm

cheers

Talking about steering probs......just a few days ago when the rains were howling down on Colombo I realised (and this happened only once) that my power steering system just turned off altogether for a couple of seconds when I was making a turn around a roundabout. It happened when it rained.

Other times (and this happened a coupla times) I could feel the steering tightening when I'm stationery and turning the wheel. Along with this I could feel some belt also screech. Now just recently I changed my drive belts so I really don't know what this is all about. But when the screeching stops after a second or two the power steering management seems to be fine. Anyone know what the hell this could be??

Talking about steering probs......just a few days ago when the rains were howling down on Colombo I realised (and this happened only once) that my power steering system just turned off altogether for a couple of seconds when I was making a turn around a roundabout. It happened when it rained.

Other times (and this happened a coupla times) I could feel the steering tightening when I'm stationery and turning the wheel. Along with this I could feel some belt also screech. Now just recently I changed my drive belts so I really don't know what this is all about. But when the screeching stops after a second or two the power steering management seems to be fine. Anyone know what the hell this could be??

i'm pretty sure you're running low on power steerng fluid.... the power steering does give a slight howl when its low on fluid..

if u have changed the belt recently only possibility i could think of, is the pump. because the pump is driven by the engine via a belt. if the pump stops, the belt can slip or else if the belt slips pump will stop. both occations power steering would not work.

another thing is some cars have speed related power steering which has a feel pump connected to the transmission. if ur car has this u have check this pump aswel.

there are so many types of power steering systems so its pretty hard to say without knowing the exact system ur car has.

cheers

i'm pretty sure you're running low on power steerng fluid.... the power steering does give a slight howl when its low on fluid..

No man I checked my power steering fluid.....it's at the right level cause I check it every 2 weeks Now Im not sure what to do? :rolleyes:

if u have changed the belt recently only possibility i could think of, is the pump. because the pump is driven by the engine via a belt. if the pump stops, the belt can slip or else if the belt slips pump will stop. both occations power steering would not work.

another thing is some cars have speed related power steering which has a feel pump connected to the transmission. if ur car has this u have check this pump aswel.

there are so many types of power steering systems so its pretty hard to say without knowing the exact system ur car has.

cheers

Yep I think you maybe right man! There does seem to be a belt slipping noise when this jamming takes place on the steering......I guess i should check the belt and the pump.

Until I do so is it unsafe to drive in this condition?? I mean could it jam when i'm on the move at say 60 to 80kmph? Pls advise....Thanks in advance

Hi,

Suggest you check your Power Steering fluid level first, and also check to see whether the new belts have been fitted with sufficient tension. If not, you could have momentary loss of power steering if the belt slips. Some mechanics fit belts with minor differences in length (usually longer cos it's easier to fit) when the recommended on is not available but then forget that the new belt has to be tensioned more than the previous one.

Hi,

Suggest you check your Power Steering fluid level first, and also check to see whether the new belts have been fitted with sufficient tension. If not, you could have momentary loss of power steering if the belt slips. Some mechanics fit belts with minor differences in length (usually longer cos it's easier to fit) when the recommended on is not available but then forget that the new belt has to be tensioned more than the previous one.

Good point macho....thanks!

Until I do so is it unsafe to drive in this condition?? I mean could it jam when i'm on the move at say 60 to 80kmph? Pls advise....Thanks in advance

machan power steering pump or belt doesn't have a direct link with the steering rack, it control the fluid pressure in the piston only. so i cant think of any possibility of ur wheels get jammed. only thing is u will feel the weight on the steering wheel at slower speeds since there won't be any hydraulic push on the rack.

cheers

I ve noticed that certain vehicles gives a screeching sound once you reach the very limit of the maximum turn possible in either direction.. any reasons as to why this sound comes? is it like a warning of a pending problem or ???

Zz

Hi Guys,

I've had the same problem, its usually when the belt slipps a bit, because I think the pump only actually gets some load when you are steering (in my car you can actually if you listen close enough the engine idle go up slightly as soon as i start steering to compunsate for the aditional load),

Since your probi went away as soon as you changed the belt I think that confirms it, though i do admit low fluid might also cause it,

The Don