• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Absorbers

shenal

Question

11 answers to this question

What type of Shocks are the best. Is it gas or oil?

Is it necessary to replace the coil spring with the shocks? Some use second hand springs which are longer than the original and ome people lengthen the spring and reuse. What is the best?

I'm no expert but this is what I know....

Gas tends to be stiffer and aid better handling (less body roll) while oil gives a more supple ride. This I have found to be true I changed from Monroe gas struts to KYB oils on an old Fiat 131 and there was a noticible difference.

That said, there are gas shocks and gas shocks. What I mean it the quality can vary depending on the brand used. Years ago when our family car was a BMW E30 we replaced the original BMW-Sachs dampers with a Spannish brand which were the only ones available in SL then. The supple ride was ruined so much that we eventually decided to sell the car. So my advice always gather info about different brands, read reviews and stick with good brands.

About the springs my knowledge is even less.............But I know you cannot mess around with lengthening condensed springs as they would lose tension. Same risk with 2nd hand springs.

Most of the time there's years of research that goes into suspension tuning to find the optimum setting. So it's certain to have an effect but I guess it's to what degree that we can tolerate it that counts. And how much financial sense it makes.

Hey Shenal,

I would agree with GTAm and go on to say that messing with coil springs on your car is not a good idea. A lot of work goes into suspension tuning and the factory fitted coil springs on your car is a result of endless research and testing as to what goes best for the cars chassis & weight distribution etc. Now as long as your coil springs haven't lost tension I would say leave them as it is unless of course you want to make a really big change in ground clearance!

When it comes to shocks I would say nitrogen filled gas shocks rock for a smooth controlled ride! Of course you need to go for reliable brands which will at the end of the day depend on your budget.

Well most modern cars come from the factory with gas shocks.. and no you need not replace the coil when you change your shock. just make sure to keep the coil compressed while removing it from the shock. I would not play around with trying to stretch it etc. as the shocks manage the vehicle height and having uneven heights will screw your suspension,handing and shocks in the long run.

Gas is the most ideal and they are not as expensive as they used to be.

Coils last a long time. No need to change them.

Only serious abuse can cause coils to break. But then, any abuse of this kind will not leave much of the other parts of the vehicle in good condition either.

Don't worry about the coils.

What kind of a vehicle is it?

Messing around with springs is a bad idea. Try getting some good after market springs like Tein or Eibach.

The suspension system is something you do not want to be cheap with.

I would consider the Tociko HP (Blue) shock absorbers. They are low pressure gas shocks that have a progressive dampening curve. So, unlike conventional OEM shock absorber valving, the more the springs compress the more the Tociko HP's dampen.

Very comfortable when u are just cruising, and very sporty once you start taking the twisties.

enjoy the ride