• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vehicle import by a returning migrant

Eagle6

Question

9 answers to this question

Well legally no, unless you can show that you have remitted double the value of CIF of the vehicle you intend to import from the 1st of May 2022 to 31st December 2022. More info can be had on the Ministry of labour & foreign employment website. 

You need to show bank letter for remittances, proof of work, 8 years warranty for battery, certificate of disposing the battery and the car has to be not older than one year from the date of manufacture (it was supposed to be brand new but people with power changed it since the cronies couldnt get the vehicles down)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gummybr said:

Well legally no, unless you can show that you have remitted double the value of CIF of the vehicle you intend to import from the 1st of May 2022 to 31st December 2022. More info can be had on the Ministry of labour & foreign employment website. 

You need to show bank letter for remittances, proof of work, 8 years warranty for battery, certificate of disposing the battery and the car has to be not older than one year from the date of manufacture (it was supposed to be brand new but people with power changed it since the cronies couldnt get the vehicles down)

Thanks. I assume that's for those who had gone for overseas employment via Foreign Employment Ministry (not sure of the exact name). Looks like the period you mentioned is now expired. Is above same for migrants who plan to return to SL? 

4 hours ago, Eagle6 said:

Dear experts, Can a migrant returning to SL import a vehicle to SL? Appreciate advice from the subject experts. Thank you.

Anyone can import a car....whether you will get a permit to import it is a different story. In the past there were schemes that let you bring down the car you used whilst abroad; or bring down cars you owned when you regain residency in SL (for those who migrated and wanted to come back); plus a 101 other different programs depending on what tickeled the rear-ends of our almighty, noble and deshapremi leaders (yes..I am being sarcastic). With the country going visibly bankrupt (I say visibly bankrupt because we have been bankrupt for decades but could not see it as we had loans upon loans to cover things up); they introduced conditions for Sri Lankans who remit foreign exchange. Yes..what Gummybear explained seems to be one that is applicable for those gone on employment through the FEB. I say that because my bank sent me notices of some other different offers I could take use of with my foreign currency remitences.

Your best bet would be to call up import control (they are surprisingly informative and nice !), then check the FEB. Also, give your embassy a call (either way you need documentation from them anyway).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Anyone can import a car....whether you will get a permit to import it is a different story. In the past there were schemes that let you bring down the car you used whilst abroad; or bring down cars you owned when you regain residency in SL (for those who migrated and wanted to come back); plus a 101 other different programs depending on what tickeled the rear-ends of our almighty, noble and deshapremi leaders (yes..I am being sarcastic). With the country going visibly bankrupt (I say visibly bankrupt because we have been bankrupt for decades but could not see it as we had loans upon loans to cover things up); they introduced conditions for Sri Lankans who remit foreign exchange. Yes..what Gummybear explained seems to be one that is applicable for those gone on employment through the FEB. I say that because my bank sent me notices of some other different offers I could take use of with my foreign currency remitences.

Your best bet would be to call up import control (they are surprisingly informative and nice !), then check the FEB. Also, give your embassy a call (either way you need documentation from them anyway).

Thanks, iRage. 

4 hours ago, Eagle6 said:

Thanks. I assume that's for those who had gone for overseas employment via Foreign Employment Ministry (not sure of the exact name). Looks like the period you mentioned is now expired. Is above same for migrants who plan to return to SL? 

You do not need to have registered with the FEB, I dont think people who can afford to send in excess of USD60,000 are registered in the FEB. Please speak to the Ministry on this matter and be ready to give what they ask.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Yes..what Gummybear explained seems to be one that is applicable for those gone on employment through the FEB. I say that because my bank sent me notices of some other different offers I could take use of with my foreign currency remitences.

Maybe the bank didnt want you to knowing fully well that we cannot open confirmed L/C's as no bank outside Sri Lanka wants to confirm our L/C's as per manufacturer requirement.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

Anyone can import a car....whether you will get a permit to import it is a different story. In the past there were schemes that let you bring down the car you used whilst abroad; or bring down cars you owned when you regain residency in SL (for those who migrated and wanted to come back); plus a 101 other different programs depending on what tickeled the rear-ends of our almighty, noble and deshapremi leaders (yes..I am being sarcastic). With the country going visibly bankrupt (I say visibly bankrupt because we have been bankrupt for decades but could not see it as we had loans upon loans to cover things up)

We are a nation that thinks we are no more bankrupt as the IMF has given us US 300mil and that is enough for the country rise up from the ashes. They fail to understand that this is also a loan which you have to pay, you can get moratoriums for years on end but end of the day you need to pay them back. Sorry to say we dont have a way of repaying back except through more borrowing. As @iRage put it down "depending on what tickeled the rear-ends of our almighty

3 hours ago, Gummybr said:

You do not need to have registered with the FEB, I dont think people who can afford to send in excess of USD60,000 are registered in the FEB. Please speak to the Ministry on this matter and be ready to give what they ask.

Maybe the bank didnt want you to knowing fully well that we cannot open confirmed L/C's as no bank outside Sri Lanka wants to confirm our L/C's as per manufacturer requirement.

We are a nation that thinks we are no more bankrupt as the IMF has given us US 300mil and that is enough for the country rise up from the ashes. They fail to understand that this is also a loan which you have to pay, you can get moratoriums for years on end but end of the day you need to pay them back. Sorry to say we dont have a way of repaying back except through more borrowing. As @iRage put it down "depending on what tickeled the rear-ends of our almighty

Thanks Gummybr. Well I have already sent an email to DG-customs and thought of contacting relevant authorities secondly. Thought of asking this forum thinking that someone already been through the process. True, we dont have information as authorities haven't thought this through when they say migrants to return to the country but no mention of getting a basic need like a vehicle other than wishful thinking to grab $s. 

Edited by Eagle6

9 minutes ago, Eagle6 said:

Thanks Gummybr. Well I have already sent an email to DG-customs and thought of contacting relevant authorities secondly. Thought of asking this forum thinking that someone already been through the process. True, we dont have information as authorities haven't thought this through when they say migrants to return to the country but no mention of getting a basic need like a vehicle other than wishful thinking to grab $s. 

If at all you need to speak to the Import Export control as they have to give the greenlight.

10 hours ago, Gummybr said:

If at all you need to speak to the Import Export control as they have to give the greenlight.

Thank you. Well, my question to DG was very simple and s/he could answer with a simpke yes/no. Didn't ask for permit, concession or greenlight 🙂, simply a fully duty paid request in $s Asking a clarification is mine and responding to it his/hers.

15 hours ago, Gummybr said:

LCs had nothing to do with it though. I was (and would have) paid for the car with my existing off/on shore USDs.

But then again...things have and are changing all the time so who knows what ended up happening at the time. Either way it still wasn't attractive to import anything. I had to pay all applicable taxes in USD and even the most strapped out kei car was attracting luxury tax or something because the Rs. was in the dog house.