• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Repairs For A Landcruiser

Supra_Natural

Question

Hey guys,

My dads vehicle is a 1995 Toyota Landcruiser KZJ 77. It is NOT the Prado model, but the one brought in brand new..... the engine is the 1KZ-T 3.0 Liter turbodiesel, and It has 252,000 on the clock.... the head was replaced once abot 5 years ago due to a coolant problem.....

The issue is that the vehicle is a lot more sluggish than it used to be, and also emits a bit of black smoke under acceleration (not excessive), which it didn't do earlier...... one garage said that the engine needed to be repaired around this time..... but a family friend from NZ, who is a qualified mechanic said no need..... I don't agree with him but my dad does..... Toyota Lanka was inconclusive abot the issue....

Does anyone have any ideas what to do?? i'd appreciate the help

Thanks a Lot

9 answers to this question

1KZ is a fast wearing engine. Specially then the quality of oil used is low (our standard quality oil), is changed less often, when the fuel quality is poor and the immediate shutdown of the engine after a long run without letting it cooldown. High revs don't help either. Auto makes the engine rev more anyway.

On our Grand Cabin type vans, the engine lasts for approx 120,000km after each local build done in-house.

Get a compression test done. Servicing of the pump should help with the smoke and the pull while the replacement of heater plug will help if starting is a problem.

If starting is not a problem, its your decision to repair or not ....depending on how happy you are with the condition.

I heard D*MO does a good job with the rebuild of all engines but a bit costly.

1KZ is a fast wearing engine. Specially then the quality of oil used is low (our standard quality oil), is changed less often, when the fuel quality is poor and the immediate shutdown of the engine after a long run without letting it cooldown. High revs don't help either. Auto makes the engine rev more anyway.

On our Grand Cabin type vans, the engine lasts for approx 120,000km after each local build done in-house.

Get a compression test done. Servicing of the pump should help with the smoke and the pull while the replacement of heater plug will help if starting is a problem.

If starting is not a problem, its your decision to repair or not ....depending on how happy you are with the condition.

I heard D*MO does a good job with the rebuild of all engines but a bit costly.

Thanks man,

Starting is not a problem..... the oil changes have been carried out regularly as well.... It has lead a fairly hard life, with lots of trips outstation and high speed runs..... personally i'm not satisfied with the condition it's in, will have to convince the guv'nor......

Thanks again

Hi there

What colour is the smoke? Black, blue or white?

Before you go the whole length and pull the engine out, get a compression test done. Also have your injectors, and injector pump tested.

Diesel engines need injector pump recalibration every 100,000km. At this time the injectors need checking also. Has this ever been done?

It amazes me that the dealer is inconclusive!

Cheers

Hi there

What colour is the smoke? Black, blue or white?

Before you go the whole length and pull the engine out, get a compression test done. Also have your injectors, and injector pump tested.

Diesel engines need injector pump recalibration every 100,000km. At this time the injectors need checking also. Has this ever been done?

It amazes me that the dealer is inconclusive!

Cheers

Hi Duncan.

The Smoke Emitted is thick black... there has never been any blue or white smoke....

Thanks, yes I think i will get a compression test done...... and yes the injector pump recalibration and checking of the injectors Has been done....

T>L stated that they couldn't give a firm word at that point.... that was about 20k ago..... they said to bring it back after some time....... so you think i should take it though? they aren't exactly cheap, and i really can't be bothered going there and paying to hear the same thing all over again....

Thanks for the Help.

Black smoke is generally related to unburnet diesel being pushed out of the system. This will certainly result in loss of power as there in no optimum combustion in the engine.

I would suspect the problem to be fuel injection related. Only a process of elimination will determine this.

My advice is that you get your diesel pump checked and then the injector timing. At the sametime do a compression test. These tests should not cost that much.

Any reputed garage should be able to do this.

Keep me posted.

Cheers

Black smoke is generally related to unburnet diesel being pushed out of the system. This will certainly result in loss of power as there in no optimum combustion in the engine.

I would suspect the problem to be fuel injection related. Only a process of elimination will determine this.

My advice is that you get your diesel pump checked and then the injector timing. At the sametime do a compression test. These tests should not cost that much.

Any reputed garage should be able to do this.

Keep me posted.

Cheers

Thanks, Yes will do that....

Thanks, Yes will do that....

hi,

i notied that the engine is a turbo diesel. have you by any chace checked if the turbo is kicking in when it should? cos i had some trouble a while back when there was a lot of black smoke and it turned out that the rurbo was not kicking in. my problem was that the linkages to the rurbo were stuck and once that was fixed it did improve the smoke and the pulling.

hi,

i notied that the engine is a turbo diesel. have you by any chace checked if the turbo is kicking in when it should? cos i had some trouble a while back when there was a lot of black smoke and it turned out that the rurbo was not kicking in. my problem was that the linkages to the rurbo were stuck and once that was fixed it did improve the smoke and the pulling.

Thanks... yes, The turbo is kicking in.... at least it still sounds like it.... but will take your advice and check linkages....

btw I'm on both yahoo and MSn

[email protected]

and

[email protected]

cheers