• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Planing to buy Civic Eg8

Eranga Jaysena

Question

4 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Eranga Jaysena said:

Is it advisable to buy a 1992 civic Eg8 in 2023? I really like the Car and it fits with my budget. But since its more than 30 years old I am worried about running repairs. Also, if I were to buy it, what are the things I should specially look for. Your opinion is highly appreciated.

Thanks

The EG is one of the nicest Civics. Sadly, a lot of them have been through the hands of ricers who modified them. Try to find that is in original shape either through restoration or had never been subjected to that modifying craze. 

Running repairs, there are plenty of mechanical parts around both 3rd party and from the manufacturer. The slightly difficult components would actually be body parts.

How much you will have to spend on running repairs and how often will depend on how well the car has been looked after and how well you will be looking after it yourself. If the car has had its running services done on time, preemptive maintenance work done on time, all repairs and services done using proper parts by people who actually care, then you will have a 30-year-old mechanical device that will run as well as a 30-year-old mechanical device can run. Thich means you won't be running in to a garage every weekend, but there will be small things that will come up every now and then that needs to get sorted before it escalates. You need to realize that this will be the case with ANY OLD CAR YOU BUY. 

If you unfortunately get a really poorly maintained and looked after car...then the likelihood/chances of you spending every weekend in a garage significantly increases.

So get the car checked out professionally. After buying it do some preemptive maintenance work and get the car to the cleanest state you possibly can (mechanically and aesthetically).

14 hours ago, Eranga Jaysena said:

s it advisable to buy a 1992 civic Eg8 in 2023? I really like the Car and it fits with my budget.

It's a nice car - but your biggest challenge will be finding a good specimen. In the early 2000's the rice culture hit Sri Lanka and sadly the EG8 was the most sought after car by ricers to 'modify' them. Most of these were abused routinely , mechanically neglected and with hideous spoilers, body kits and stuff hanging here and there. A good EG8 is like finding unicorn tears now. 

6 hours ago, iRage said:

The EG is one of the nicest Civics. Sadly, a lot of them have been through the hands of ricers who modified them. Try to find that is in original shape either through restoration or had never been subjected to that modifying craze. 

Running repairs, there are plenty of mechanical parts around both 3rd party and from the manufacturer. The slightly difficult components would actually be body parts.

How much you will have to spend on running repairs and how often will depend on how well the car has been looked after and how well you will be looking after it yourself. If the car has had its running services done on time, preemptive maintenance work done on time, all repairs and services done using proper parts by people who actually care, then you will have a 30-year-old mechanical device that will run as well as a 30-year-old mechanical device can run. Thich means you won't be running in to a garage every weekend, but there will be small things that will come up every now and then that needs to get sorted before it escalates. You need to realize that this will be the case with ANY OLD CAR YOU BUY. 

If you unfortunately get a really poorly maintained and looked after car...then the likelihood/chances of you spending every weekend in a garage significantly increases.

So get the car checked out professionally. After buying it do some preemptive maintenance work and get the car to the cleanest state you possibly can (mechanically and aesthetically).

Thank you so much for such a detailed response. Highly appreciate the time spent on helping others. I ll update on the progress. 

1 hour ago, matroska said:

It's a nice car - but your biggest challenge will be finding a good specimen. In the early 2000's the rice culture hit Sri Lanka and sadly the EG8 was the most sought after car by ricers to 'modify' them. Most of these were abused routinely , mechanically neglected and with hideous spoilers, body kits and stuff hanging here and there. A good EG8 is like finding unicorn tears now. 

Thanks a lot. Yeah most of cars available on internet are modified and honestly some of them don't look good. I ll keep on updating. 

Edited by Eranga Jaysena