• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Greatest Automotive Nation?

isurujosh

Greatest Automotive Nation?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is world's greatest automotive nation?

• UK
    • Germany
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • USA
    • France
    • Sri Lanka

Question

Greatness is such a subjective thing, isn't it. So your choice is as good as mine. So please take some time out to vote for the greatest automotive nation in your book and state why.

I have included...

UK: This is my choice. More I read about great cars more I am inclined to believe that Brits are the best in building cars. Be it the Mclaren F1, Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Lotus, Caterham, Aston Martin they all are very British and have some mystique greatness. Most other car makers in the world borrow expertise from british, sometimes eventhough the nameplate might read non-british the technology and philosophy really come from Britain. I recently even read that although Audi is renowned for 4WD quattro, the first 4WD cars were from Britain. But like all British car makers thay had not made profits and been forced to shut down. I don't think greateness has to be associated with "profits" so I vote Brit :huh:

Germany: Need I say more... Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW ... (Or eventhough Bugatti is really a French nameplate, I consider Veyron German more than any other)

Italy: Characterrised by the ever so raging and fierce battle between Farrari and Lambo.

Japan: They certainly make things perfect.

USA: :lol: I remain silent and let you decide.

France: Oh! they made the Bugatti Royale and they own the nameplate.

Sri Lanka: At the end of the day, we make the most out of the least :lol: . And how can I not give any choice for the Patriotic membership of our forum.

I hope I have not missed any other serious contender for this title. (PLZZZZ not India Ok!)

the Japs built awesome technological master pieces

BUT

British cars are ICONS - cant beat that

oh n Isuru u forgot Jags - esp é XJ 220 :huh:

Yah i deliberately dropped Jags... as I am unsure whether they'll be in business at this rate /jk :lol: ... yah XJ220 was once the fastest car in the world... but like all other British cars, I am guessing the XJ220 was also big business disaster :lol:

but the british make cars which u wanna&probably did,put up posters of up on ur wall!

until é GTR34 came along é Japs nere had that "evry lil boys" dream angle covred

business aside - é Brits have made some lovely creations - not for é masses but to be enjoyed by connoisseurs

MORGAN,Marcos,Caterham,Westfield,AC & the list goes on...

but the british make cars which u wanna&probably did,put up posters of up on ur wall!

until é GTR34 came along é Japs nere had that "evry lil boys" dream angle covred

business aside - é Brits have made some lovely creations - not for é masses but to be enjoyed by connoisseurs

MORGAN,Marcos,Caterham,Westfield,AC & the list goes on...

MORGAN oh dat wooden pile :blink: ... but Marcos is back wit an American V8!

Japan ma choice for the simple reason of it being the birth place of economical automotives.. Evo s Subaruz ya name it.. to me its more bout performance than luxury so japz r ma choice..

though obviously when it comes to perfection in design n comfort, brit based companies would be way ahead..

Zz

Japan ma choice for the simple reason of it being the birth place of economical automotives.. Evo s Subaruz ya name it.. to me its more bout performance than luxury so japz r ma choice..

though obviously when it comes to perfection in design n comfort, brit based companies would be way ahead..

Zz

i think it was the italians who invented economical cars... bdw britz designs are hardly perfect, they always are flawed but they tend have some unique touch in each car.

i think it was the italians who invented economical cars... bdw britz designs are hardly perfect, they always are flawed but they tend have some unique touch in each car.

da italians eh? thats some good info.. didnt knw bout that.. love the italianz cuz o their lamborghinis ... beautiful machinez mind ya... but how did the italianz invent economical vehicles? ya sure?

Zz

da italians eh? thats some good info.. didnt knw bout that.. love the italianz cuz o their lamborghinis ... beautiful machinez mind ya... but how did the italianz invent economical vehicles? ya sure?

Zz

They do good scooters

I'm not voting, coz I find the subject ... silly, to put it mildly, but have ur fun. Thoughts tho.

All the talk on UK forgot Noble, Ascari and TVR. (Yes I know the owner of TVR is Russian). And are there any more storied vehicles in the world that the Mini and the Land Rover?

NexGen, lot to learn kid. Go look up Fiat. The Italians can count not just on Ferrari and Lamborghini, but Pagani, Masterati and Alfa Romeo. I'm sure GTAm can add a few more makes.

I'm also sceptical on the 4wd statement. I think Audi was credited to have first used it in Rallying, but 4wd had been in use for years. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive#History

Edited by Pericles

I think we have to categorise this into two types, Super cars and general day to day cars. In super car category I think Italy scores slightly above others thanks to Ferrari, Lamba and Maserati. Others are trying to catch up. Closest is Germany as I believe but again one can argue that they are the best. (any Porsche fans)

But I believe in general category Germany is way ahead of others. I have exp with one or more cars of the countries from the list except USA and SL. (in fact I had a brief exp with Micra test drive when they first came out about 3-4 years back) but nothing impressed me with the durability and build quality of German cars. I feel like jap cars interior seriously letting them down with really cheap looking plastics. Except that I have nothing against jap cars though. So for me its Germany.

cheers

Italians know all abt town cars - FIAT ( yes they sell enough of these to own Ferrari!)

&for commercial ask LAMBO - they'll tell u how to make tractors !! (no i'm not kidding)

German cars hvae no heart - all engineering - good yes - but take the term " GREATEST" its not a quanltifiable thing backed up by reliablity charts n fuel econlmy

ur talking abt which country gave the world the " geatest " NOT "best" vehicles..

think from the heart.... (é only german thing with that would be HERBY!!! :blink: )

I'm not voting, coz I find the subject ... silly, to put it mildly, but have ur fun. Thoughts tho.

All the talk on UK forgot Noble, Ascari and TVR. (Yes I know the owner of TVR is Russian). And are there any more storied vehicles in the world that the Mini and the Land Rover?

NexGen, lot to learn kid. Go look up Fiat. The Italians can count not just on Ferrari and Lamborghini, but Pagani, Masterati and Alfa Romeo. I'm sure GTAm can add a few more makes.

I'm also sceptical on the 4wd statement. I think Audi was credited to have first used it in Rallying, but 4wd had been in use for years. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-wheel_drive#History

As always you are most welcome not to take part, to put it mildly, but have ur opinion. Thoughts tho.

My intention was not about bringing ALL storied vehicles in UK. The few I had mentioned were enough for my own vote on UK. I am not a big fan of the Mini or the Land Rover by personal choice, so I did not put it down. Anybody who loves them and think Mini and the Land Rover are the major contributors of UK's automotive greateness is free to do so. (And it would be a very sound clam too)

@NexGen: I guess you got your answer, lil pal :blink:

Jensen FF - the real pioneer of modern 4WD is my source on 4WD claim. You are most welcome to comment/rectify or even deny the below claim from the aforementioned source.

Whenever talk about 4WD, most people will probably think of Audi. In fact, Jensen, a small British sports car maker, introduced the first modern 4WD system into its Jensen FF grand tourer as early as 1966.

Worked in collaboration with engineering consultant FF Development, Jensen's system employed the so-called "Feguson Formula" layout, that is, Viscous Coupling differential lock for both the center and rear differentials. This system is still the most popular 4WD system today. Accompany with the world's first anti-lock brake (though mechanical only), Jensen FF amazed the contemporary auto journalists by its superior stability.

NOTE THE ARTICLE SPEAKS ABOUT THE MODERN 4WD, THERE COULD HAVE BEEN VARIOUS FORMS OF 4WD BUT THIS ONE ACCORDING TO THE AUTHOR IS THE REAL ROOT BEHIND MODERN 4WD, AS HE CALLS IT.

but like most other British cars, this was another business flop. :angry-smiley-024:

Wel in another thread i read that there are two qualities relating to the vehicle from Jap... the one with the bells and whistles are usually destined for homeland Jap while the rest is exported to other countries.. not 100% sure of this. though this is what i read n heard...

sigh.. da good ol bullock cart dayz...

Zz

I kindda agree.. Each country has specialized in something or another & no country can be considered the greatest.. this poll is always gonna be a matter of personal preference and nothing else and you can't just stereotype.

I did vote of course. For Sri Lanka. :blink: Its independence day.

oh! ho k89 too has voted UK! interesting to see ppl voting for UK :blink:

yah JC's very brtish biased. but although he doesn't forget to point out the drawbacks of british cars too. eventually he cites character and praises the british cars big time.

I kindda agree.. Each country has specialized in something or another & no country can be considered the greatest.. this poll is always gonna be a matter of personal preference and nothing else and you can't just stereotype.

I did vote of course. For Sri Lanka. Its independence day.

Greatness is such a subjective thing, isn't it. So your choice is as good as mine.

The subjective nature of the topic was recognised at the very beginning it self. Is it a calamity to request opinions on subjective matters?

I did vote of course. For Sri Lanka. :blink: Its independence day.

oh so YOUR the Patriot amoungst us :angry-smiley-024:

yeah its all personal preference but the reason why it been reiterated is cuz ppl try to justify their chioce of country - which really is unecessary when the decision os based on a "logical" basis as opposed to an "emotional" one

oh so YOUR the Patriot amoungst us :D

yeah its all personal preference but the reason why it been reiterated is cuz ppl try to justify their chioce of country - which really is unecessary when the decision os based on a "logical" basis as opposed to an "emotional" one

anybody else's choice is good as the other's.

pretty much

like i said before Gretest doesnt mean best or fastest or wut ever...

its like asking someone who they like Batman or superman - one persone will like one more than é other - there does NOT need to be any rationale when voting for this

wut ever u like

pretty much

like i said before Gretest doesnt mean best or fastest or wut ever...

its like asking someone who they like Batman or superman - one persone will like one more than é other - there does NOT need to be any rationale when voting for this

wut ever u like

exactly machan.. eaxactly ... thatz da idea.