• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help !! Major Loss If Power When Really Needed!!!

KC2626

Question

Car - NISSAN PRIMERA SR20VE

Mods - K&N flat filter

Hi guys

When realy padel to the board (like u want to drag!!!) there is a major loss on power, it starts around 4000 RPM and go up to about 5500 rev and again form 7000 all the way up to 8000. can't find whats wrong ???????? :)

But if gradually reve there is no problem at all, its smooth as ever

:rolleyes:

i am trying to change the plugs to see any progress but couldn't find any place to buy them... any one know a place to buy them (NGK PLFR6A-9 or NGK BKR6EIX-11)

Thanks

Best Advice is to have a professional take a look- sounds like starvation of some sort (air/fuel?).

I recently had my fuel system cleaned up along with new plugs, as well as cleaning up the throttle+idle control. Made a massive difference for the engine...in power delivery and smoothness....

I found BKR6EP-11 (VX platinums) at miniworld on Alan Manthinirarama Road (between High Level/Baseline Rd)- they go at 3500 a set, i think. Wouldn't really recommend the iridiums- they didn't last more than one year in my car- mechanic said they aren't really suited to our hot climate and perish quicker.

Car - NISSAN PRIMERA SR20VE

Mods - K&N flat filter

Hi guys

When realy padel to the board (like u want to drag!!!) there is a major loss on power, it starts around 4000 RPM and go up to about 5500 rev and again form 7000 all the way up to 8000. can't find whats wrong ???????? :)

But if gradually reve there is no problem at all, its smooth as ever

:huh:

i am trying to change the plugs to see any progress but couldn't find any place to buy them... any one know a place to buy them (NGK PLFR6A-9 or NGK BKR6EIX-11)

Thanks

i'm also guessing a block in the air or fuel line, most probably air, cos if was fuel, the engine might not rev-up that well (let alone the power)... before changing spark plugs i sugest you jsut take a few minutes and do the easier test. the air filter, cos it matters a lot... plus if it IS the air filter, it'll be way cheaper to replace..

Best Advice is to have a professional take a look- sounds like starvation of some sort (air/fuel?).

I recently had my fuel system cleaned up along with new plugs, as well as cleaning up the throttle+idle control. Made a massive difference for the engine...in power delivery and smoothness....

I found BKR6EP-11 (VX platinums) at miniworld on Alan Manthinirarama Road (between High Level/Baseline Rd)- they go at 3500 a set, i think. Wouldn't really recommend the iridiums- they didn't last more than one year in my car- mechanic said they aren't really suited to our hot climate and perish quicker.

Thanks mate ..

Hey Gunat whats the car you drive???

I changed the Air filter but nothing ...... :alc: i think i need to check the fuel sys

Sounds like your not getting v-tec.. try cleaning the O2 and Air Flow sensors.. (It always works for a good pal) of mine!

Gunat got a mean GT Carina by the way.. maintained like a baby :D

Thanks for the compliment Pilawoos!

I'll add to Pilawoos' recommendation- step up to cleaning your entire breathing apparatus (for the car, that is!)

O2 sensors are more likely to fail than get clogged, so i'll have to say check your air-flow sensors, idle control.

Strongly recommend that you get your fuel system cleaned too. 3M has this fantastic cleaning solution- an FC Can you connect to your engine directly (after you disable/disconnect the main fuel line) and run for 15mins. It made a huge difference for my car. Get a professional to do the whole thing, though. Nadheera J., Performance Motors, Autoforce to name a few...

BTW, i read earlier in the post that you have a K&N drop in air filter- which means you can re-use it...try cleaning and re-oiling it (kit available at Motorcade)

Good luck!

Hey hey :alc:

Last weekend i had a long drive and did some real revs !! (with the new Nissan original Air filter)

looks like the miss is gone, by Sunday evening car was great no miss at all and reves up to 8 effortless!!

i think it could be the K&N filter (too much air too little fuel or some thing like????)

but i have my doubts as to will it last ... Any way need to look at it deeper, will do a 3M clean up and look at o2 and injectors

How do you know Air flow sensor has trouble???? (coz idling is very good)

Thanks for the tips guys

Hey hey :alc:

Last weekend i had a long drive and did some real revs !! (with the new Nissan original Air filter)

looks like the miss is gone, by Sunday evening car was great no miss at all and reves up to 8 effortless!!

i think it could be the K&N filter (too much air too little fuel or some thing like????)

but i have my doubts as to will it last ... Any way need to look at it deeper, will do a 3M clean up and look at o2 and injectors

How do you know Air flow sensor has trouble???? (coz idling is very good)

Thanks for the tips guys

gud to knw its sorted machan...its strange to find d K&N wudve been d problem...maybe it was a tad too dirty

with respect to the air flow sensor...trust me ur engine wud tremble like crazy if ur air flow sensor wasnt functioning...jus unplug it n see...BE CAREFUL!!! :D

oh n calm down on the revs machan cos i see u hammering down greenpath every morning n i get temptd to keep up (i cant but i try)

Also make sure you don't load up the K&N filter with too much oil when you install. Use just enough to moisten the filter. Too much oil and it could be sucked up by the intake air and get on your sensors and mess up the readings. If you have any doubts, take your air temp sensor and MAF sensor off and spray it off with electrical cleaner (like the ones you use on PCs) and see if there's a difference.

gud to knw its sorted machan...its strange to find d K&N wudve been d problem...maybe it was a tad too dirty

with respect to the air flow sensor...trust me ur engine wud tremble like crazy if ur air flow sensor wasnt functioning...jus unplug it n see...BE CAREFUL!!! :)

If there was a problem with the Air flow sensor would not the check engine light indicate it. Would it not be a good idea to take it to the agents and have an engine diagnostic done. maybe all the sensor injector plug problems will get detected through it. I had a somilar prolem with my TZR sometime back. The problem was Air was being sucked it from elswhere other than the designated plase due to a faulty seal (i dont know how relavant it is to compare a 2 stroke m'cycle with a car).

If there was a problem with the Air flow sensor would not the check engine light indicate it. Would it not be a good idea to take it to the agents and have an engine diagnostic done. maybe all the sensor injector plug problems will get detected through it. I had a somilar prolem with my TZR sometime back. The problem was Air was being sucked it from elswhere other than the designated plase due to a faulty seal (i dont know how relavant it is to compare a 2 stroke m'cycle with a car).

yes it is best to get the engine checkd by the agents...diagnostics do show faulty sensor, injector n ignition problems but wat i meant was that if an airflow sensor were to knock off...the engine wud knock so vigorously dat u wont really hav to refer the check engine light...

yes it is best to get the engine checkd by the agents...diagnostics do show faulty sensor, injector n ignition problems but wat i meant was that if an airflow sensor were to knock off...the engine wud knock so vigorously dat u wont really hav to refer the check engine light...

Hi Guys,

I am a bit curious, I know a few pals of mine having had serious trouble sourcing o2 sensors for their cars in the past, even I have wanted to change mine though the places I have looked in seems to have it, and some moron even had the oddasity to tell me its a waste of my money.

The performance of o2 sensors play a big part in fuel ecconomy as well as power I guess cos they regulate the air to fuel ration, and I know expecially in Nissans they tend to fail sometimes a bit prematurely, so I asume they should be easy to source,

Has anybody here ever changed their O2 sensors and if so where did you source them from ?

Regards,

The Don

Has anybody here ever changed their O2 sensors and if so where did you source them from ?

hi don

i had trouble wit my crank sensor n i bought it from pioneer motors (they'r one of two others who import original nissan equipment) cos it was a DIY operation...cost me 10k's...the airflow sensor wud cost me 40k!!!!...but it may be cheaper from other vendors...but as fuzzo said there's sum1 who advertises sensors often so if u need the contact pls do ask...i assume this is for ur mirage?

hi don

i had trouble wit my crank sensor n i bought it from pioneer motors (they'r one of two others who import original nissan equipment) cos it was a DIY operation...cost me 10k's...the airflow sensor wud cost me 40k!!!!...but it may be cheaper from other vendors...but as fuzzo said there's sum1 who advertises sensors often so if u need the contact pls do ask...i assume this is for ur mirage?

Hi Shaks,

Yeah, it is for my mirage, it currently needs one of the O2 sensors replacing, the after CAT one, and I have already sourced one for that which I am not sure until I fit it in will work because its for a Proton (there are very few Mirages here), so fingers crossed,

If it doesn't work I guess I would need yours and Fuzzo's help to source one in SL.

Its just that I remember my cousin going to great lengths a year or so back to get an O2 sensor for his K11 and I even rang up A*W for him and they wanted 2 months to get it down from Singapore.

I find it a bit interesting that something which needs to be periodically changed like spark plugs should be so difficult to source.

And I find even more supprising the atitude of Sri Lankan techs to O2 sensors, I mean I was told by guys at Elcardo that I shouldn't even bother replacing the damaged O2 sensor, cos the car works fine without it.

thanks once again, will be in touch if further assistance is needed,

The Don

Also make sure you don't load up the K&N filter with too much oil when you install. Use just enough to moisten the filter. Too much oil and it could be sucked up by the intake air and get on your sensors and mess up the readings. If you have any doubts, take your air temp sensor and MAF sensor off and spray it off with electrical cleaner (like the ones you use on PCs) and see if there's a difference.

machan sorry for talking rubbish in this forum, bt my uncle alos live in Gaithersburg MD, his name is Ranjith Seneviratne so do u know him ? :D

I find it a bit interesting that something which needs to be periodically changed like spark plugs should be so difficult to source.

And I find even more supprising the atitude of Sri Lankan techs to O2 sensors, I mean I was told by guys at Elcardo that I shouldn't even bother replacing the damaged O2 sensor, cos the car works fine without it.

hi don

something that needs periodic changing dsnt necessarily mean it is changd in SL...ive seen the dirtiest air cleaner elements in ppl's cars that havent been changd in yrs...:D

a possible reason y SL mechanics ignore O2 sensors is cos of its role in emission control...which in SL dsnt exist...

anyways try to dig the part number up n we'd b happy to help

Hi Shaks,

Yeah, it is for my mirage, it currently needs one of the O2 sensors replacing, the after CAT one, and I have already sourced one for that which I am not sure until I fit it in will work because its for a Proton (there are very few Mirages here), so fingers crossed,

If it doesn't work I guess I would need yours and Fuzzo's help to source one in SL.

Its just that I remember my cousin going to great lengths a year or so back to get an O2 sensor for his K11 and I even rang up A*W for him and they wanted 2 months to get it down from Singapore.

thanks once again, will be in touch if further assistance is needed,

The Don

Yep some cars actually run better without the O2 sensor.. however I've seen with Nissans that the car sometimes may not start..

Machan on the topic of the Mirage's - what the deal with the two versions you see around the place? Are they any different from the 4 door ones?

Regards,

The Don

My brother had to have them changed and his car being a Nisan he got them from the nisan Agents.......They seem to carry some stock with them....

Yep some cars actually run better without the O2 sensor.. however I've seen with Nissans that the car sometimes may not start..

machan out of curiosity how do cars run better without the O2 sensor? not sayin ur wrong cos i knw u ran witout it for a lil while correct? jus wonderin cos ur air/fuel ratio will be messed up witout it