• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Piracy In Sri Lanka

Saturn

I keep seeing posts and comments about cracks and mods for software.

Thing is: software piracy isn't really necessary: There are many open source alternatives to Microsoft software. For example Ubuntu (instead of Windows) and Open office (instead of MS Office).

These options are free, legal, and perform equal or better than their commercial equivalents.

Edited by Saturn

Thing is: software piracy isn't really necessary: There are many open source alternatives to Microsoft software. For example Ubuntu (instead of Windows) and Open office (instead of MS Office).

These options are free, legal, and perform equal or better than their commercial equivalents.

open office works exceptionally well n u cant feel much of a difference -b ut honestly Ubuntu feels slighttly lacking...not clinical enough as an Os.. :P

.....& endorsing or even suggesting piracy isnt é most ethical thing to do - but who of us actually doesnt download music off 'net n buy [email protected] much for orginals & ethics eh!! :D

open office works exceptionally well n u cant feel much of a difference -b ut honestly Ubuntu feels slighttly lacking...not clinical enough as an Os.. :P

.....& endorsing or even suggesting piracy isnt é most ethical thing to do - but who of us actually doesnt download music off 'net n buy [email protected] much for orginals & ethics eh!! :D

well, i think there's quite a difference between pirating software and music. in the case of software, there truly is a huge cost involved in developing the software, and all the R&D that goes into it...so one can argue that they have a legitimate reason to charge pretty high prices. But when it comes to music...it's just a big scam run by huge record labels trying to promote absolute crap and making people listen to what they want to be the next "thing" and cutting off independent artists and smaller labels...so i'm all for "robbing" every penny i can off those scums. enough venting about that on my part now :D

and yes, if you're willing to look there are quite a few alternatives to expensive software like MS Office. I started using Open Office last year..and I think its great. It does everything that my computer at work does on office, sometimes better without some of the stupid, annoying quirks that MS office has...and has advantages like built-in PDF conversion tools.

speaking of operating systems...is the price of a a brand name computer still that much more expensive than a locally built system in sri lanka? i used to assemble my own stuff, but now it seems like the cost of a brand name system is equal or less than building it when you consider the time and effort it takes, warranties and customer support involved, and the fact that you get licensed operating systems with the package (for whatever that's worth :) ). i guess this is still not the case in sri lanka with the very small list of options you have when it comes to brand name dealers and the model line ups they carry.

the issue here is that NONE of é Branded machines from HP , Dell etc retail new models here...

all they sell are really old machines :) someone from é IT field pls correct me if i'm wrong but hardly any of é agents offer COre 2 Duo processors n é like apart from ASUS-Epsi

&most of é agents focus on Coporate bulk sales - so personal home use is all but a forgotten market left for ppl to assemble thier own

there is a fair price difference even now with assembled & branded

but é newest trend is LOCALY BRANDED units with é option of Genuine software in é form of Panora COmputers from PC partners i beilve & such..they have laptops also apparently..!

so its a step in é right direction

actually now in SL, the brand name PC's vs local assembled pc's are not far off. the branded boxes comes with dos OS. basically they let you load your own OS. so the prices are quite similar to assembled machines.

and there have been times where branded machines are less than assembled machines (in the case of notebooks)

as for core 2 duo machines. they are available in the market in the form of assembled and branded machines and the prices are not that bad anymore.

there is a reason why brands take a longer time to adopt to new tech than the assemblers. once a company put out a new technology, they go through their own R&D, plus liquidate their existing stock before putting out the new tech.

the channel (assemblers) don't have htis issue, they just on the band wagon as it comes out (provided the market is willing to buy)

Forgive e for being a selfish bast*** but i think piracy is absolutely essential :huh:

I would've never be in this job if i didn't get my "hora" copy of photoshop, illustrator even windows itself. Thanks to SW pirates... i have learned to use many high-end softwares not to mention all those 200 bucks PS2 games that keep on stacking up at ma place :)

guilty conscience??? Nope...not at all :)

open source will take a long time to spread into all areas and probably i'll be dead by that time so.... go with the flow and enjoy while it lasts ;)

In our Game Araced we use 100% Pirate Softwares & Games cus when game companies relese a new game ppl want to play it and for us buying a pirate DVD is the best and easy option its cost less

BT we make sure customers feel like they are using original softwares specially when it comes to foreign

ppl some times they ask are u using pirate softwares ? then we say no cus they cant find any difference between pirates & originals

Now microsoft trying to implement new security fixes like the Guenune Validation Tool bt still they failed, bt if the government decide to ban pirate softwares we all have to find another solution maybe open source

Anyway we should thank the ppl who develope awesome cracks and patches whitout their effort we cant use all these great softwares and games

Edited by GihanFX

UCSADSES said pirating of Entertainment stuff is forgivable to a small extent...é ony cirumstance under which piracy can be justified is in terms of UNAVAILABITY of originals which are REASONABLY priced

i know that none of us can stomach having to but softare packages like Correl Photoshop or a rnage of such software suits at full price - cuz out here eveyrone earns a 3rd world wage

so if Microsoft or any other wants to promote Genuine softare use then they should have a special pricing system for developing nations such as SL which will offer an OS at a reasonable amount - whatever said n done unless someting is not available its just plain wrong to use a fake - but we all do,myself included..

but violation of intellectual property rights is virtually the same as stealing another mans work n using it for free!

this is where é value of FOSS should be utilized!!!!!

well said bro... this is the issue in a nutshell

UCSADSES said pirating of Entertainment stuff is forgivable to a small extent...é ony cirumstance under which piracy can be justified is in terms of UNAVAILABITY of originals which are REASONABLY priced

i know that none of us can stomach having to but softare packages like Correl Photoshop or a rnage of such software suits at full price - cuz out here eveyrone earns a 3rd world wage

so if Microsoft or any other wants to promote Genuine softare use then they should have a special pricing system for developing nations such as SL which will offer an OS at a reasonable amount - whatever said n done unless someting is not available its just plain wrong to use a fake - but we all do,myself included..

but violation of intellectual property rights is virtually the same as stealing another mans work n using it for free!

this is where é value of FOSS should be utilized!!!!!

hey hav any of u guys been getting mails from some group of hackers in Sri Lankan supposdly from a Kandy school claiming that thye've got cracks for Windows + other software for free download or something like that????

long list of cracks....i keep wondering these guys r being so open abt it isnt it a tad stupid - a lil like "illang marmite kanawa wagé"... they claim to be doing it as a means of "public service" but i fear that any legal body is bound to say otherwise... :(