• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Old Cars - New Number Registration Numbers

Devinda_Z

i'd noticed a few cars before but never close enough to be sure but there seems to be a growing number of old cars with new number plates

just infron of é A*W showroom opposite Kanatte i found myself right behind a 1979 MG-B GT !!!!!!

but here's é strangest bit - it had a WP-GT number!!!! :D

this was a red one n i figured it to be a late spec cuz it had é rubber bumpers....

much like this -110711197020691wj0.jpg

there was some story about the classic car club issuing a special permit for its members which allowed them to import classics at a fixed rate of Rs. 800,000 .... not sure of exactly what classifies as a "classic" but i dont see how a late70's car would fit into that category :(

also saw a roadster of some sort on a WP-KA number - again an MG i belive...

anyone know anyhting abt this phenomenon??

no machan...

thats a spitfire néda? :D

this i car i saw was deffa engish numbers

é one u put a pic of seems a plausible import cuz é import restriction at the time were fairly accomodating...

..must find out more abt how on earth n WHY they'd bring down fairl avarage but decent old-ish cars...n HOW... ?? :(

no machan...

thats a spitfire néda? :D

this i car i saw was deffa engish numbers

é one u put a pic of seems a plausible import cuz é import restriction at the time were fairly accomodating...

..must find out more abt how on earth n WHY they'd bring down fairl avarage but decent old-ish cars...n HOW... ?? :blink:

I was actually lucky enough to have a test drive on the car(MG). It has been brought down on a permit after being owned by a Sri Lankan in UK. There are quite a few cars like that with newer numbers (Mercs etc etc.)

Some of the cars are auctioned by customs so they endup 10 -20 years old with new numbers.

Recently I have seen Pre 70's models with K Reg- no's which are supposed to be brought on classic car permit that Devinda mentioned. But not sure of the details.

I was actually lucky enough to have a test drive on the car(MG). It has been brought down on a permit after being owned by a Sri Lankan in UK. There are quite a few cars like that with newer numbers (Mercs etc etc.)

Some of the cars are auctioned by customs so they endup 10 -20 years old with new numbers.

Recently I have seen Pre 70's models with K Reg- no's which are supposed to be brought on classic car permit that Devinda mentioned. But not sure of the details.

Wayyy OT....

Machan Milindu... If you don't mind can I get a copy of the Primera Manual... plz post ur contact no if u don't mind.

Are you talking about this car too?? This is an 1978 example imported in late 90s I guess!!

dsc7857qz9.th.jpg

MINIACE

Hey,

I know this spitfire. It was owned by a sri lankan in the U.K. He had bought it brand new and brought in to sl around 94 - 95 it was for sale about 5 years ago for a million. Its in really good condition cos it was a firtst owner car. now its owned by a friend of the first owner somewhere in kotte.

i'd noticed a few cars before but never close enough to be sure but there seems to be a growing number of old cars with new number plates

just infron of é A*W showroom opposite Kanatte i found myself right behind a 1979 MG-B GT !!!!!!

but here's é strangest bit - it had a WP-GT number!!!! :D

this was a red one n i figured it to be a late spec cuz it had é rubber bumpers....

much like this -110711197020691wj0.jpg

there was some story about the classic car club issuing a special permit for its members which allowed them to import classics at a fixed rate of Rs. 800,000 .... not sure of exactly what classifies as a "classic" but i dont see how a late70's car would fit into that category :blink:

also saw a roadster of some sort on a WP-KA number - again an MG i belive...

anyone know anyhting abt this phenomenon??

I am a member of the classic car club and as far as i know the classic car club has not done someting like that to bring old cars. it only when sl people who have lived in the uk or somewhere have brought them down under a permit.

Hey,

I know this spitfire. It was owned by a sri lankan in the U.K. He had bought it brand new and brought in to sl around 94 - 95 it was for sale about 5 years ago for a million. Its in really good condition cos it was a firtst owner car. now its owned by a friend of the first owner somewhere in kotte.

I am a member of the classic car club and as far as i know the classic car club has not done someting like that to bring old cars. it only when sl people who have lived in the uk or somewhere have brought them down under a permit.

Machan that car is owned by Mr Damascene Fernando.He owns many classics and in the committee of the classisc car club of ceylon!

MINIACE

those are possible bro if they've been brought in on é old 10yr permit or 5 yr or some kinda anomaly

but these r classics- far too old to stand a chance of being brought in without some special provision

my quest is to find out EXACTLY what this provission is,if it so exists! :-)

those are possible bro if they've been brought in on é old 10yr permit or 5 yr or some kinda anomaly

but these r classics- far too old to stand a chance of being brought in without some special provision

my quest is to find out EXACTLY what this provission is,if it so exists! :-)

hey,

well as far as i know all these classic cars were brought in some time ago before the 5 year or 10 permit was in force. I think those days you could bring in a vehicle which you had used abroad regardless of its age i think.

hey,

well as far as i know all these classic cars were brought in some time ago before the 5 year or 10 permit was in force. I think those days you could bring in a vehicle which you had used abroad regardless of its age i think.

no chance of that - the 3 & a half yr nrmal import rule n é 5-10 yr rule has been in existance since é late 1998 or sometime after that to my knowldge n these cars all have "english numbers" so that means post mid 2000 registrations and some of é others are KA no's - which means 2006 registered! so it jus doesnt add up...

:blink:

...é mystry deepens still.... :huh:

as in on a "carnet" is it? but which permit would allow such an import?? :huh:

Any Sri Lankan who has lived/worked abroad (legitimately of course...:)) for over a certain number of years can Import his car into Sri Lanka on his return. He also has to prove that he has owned that car in the former country for over 3 years or something like that.

Some time back there was also a 'Gift Permit' scheme where such a car could be gifted to a relative in Sri Lanka without the expat acutally having to return. - but that scheme was sadly scrapped after a while

By the way that MG was in pretty bad shape when it first arrived and was restored over here to the condition you saw it in. I know the owner and he's pretty proud of it.!

Any Sri Lankan who has lived/worked abroad (legitimately of course...:)) for over a certain number of years can Import his car into Sri Lanka on his return. He also has to prove that he has owned that car in the former country for over 3 years or something like that.

Some time back there was also a 'Gift Permit' scheme where such a car could be gifted to a relative in Sri Lanka without the expat acutally having to return. - but that scheme was sadly scrapped after a while

By the way that MG was in pretty bad shape when it first arrived and was restored over here to the condition you saw it in. I know the owner and he's pretty proud of it.!

the gift thing was in place until quite recently...

...ah i've heard of this earlies thing - but doesnt it have to do more with é rate of duty paid as opposed to the year of manufacture of the vehiucle???

even on that permit fro those who've lived abroad , the limit stood at a maximum of 10 yrs in '1990's...dunno if they revised é rule - but from that which is known this permit is no longer issued either....

.....this is é time i wish AL had someone on the forums who worke for customs or a relavent Govt. authority! :)

no chance of that - the 3 & a half yr nrmal import rule n é 5-10 yr rule has been in existance since é late 1998 or sometime after that to my knowldge n these cars all have "english numbers" so that means post mid 2000 registrations and some of é others are KA no's - which means 2006 registered! so it jus doesnt add up...

:blink:

...é mystry deepens still.... :huh:

aaah.... well the cars i know of are all before the english numbers. well i havent really been in sl for some time now so i havent seen all these new ones. It is very interesting this... I would really like to find out if we can import old cars.. if so it would be great :)

given is the details on the permits... pls note that they only check date of first registration....

heres the info on blue permits. i got theselast year. so some things may have changed...

There are 2 types of permits one can get.

1. Gift Permit

2. Exchange earned abroad program

Gift Permit

Sri Lankans gone abroad for employment on valid visa are entitled to donate vehicles to their blood relations. They can donate motor cars (petrol no exceeding 1800cc, diesel not exceeding 2300cc) and jeeps (not exceeding 3000cc) not older than 05 years from the date of first registration

Applications to import vehicles under this scheme should be sent, only when the donors are working abroad. They cannot donate vehicles after coming back to Sri Lanka.

Following documents must be attached to application

a. copy of Birth/Marriage Certificate to prove relationship

b. Photocopy of donors passport

c. Photocopy of valid visa

d. Letter from employer indicating the date of appointment, post held and

salary paid to the donor. Fax and email of employer should be indicated in

the letter.

e. Bank documents showing foreign earnings and remittance to Sri Lanka

covering the period of employment abroad.

f. Registration certificate / cancellation of registration (De- registration)

certificate of the vehicle (with English translation)

g. Photo of vehicle

Genuineness of the documents submitted with be verified with relevant agencies and if forged documents are submitted, those applicants will be black listed.

Applicants are required to pay a license fee of 155 of CIF value of vehicle. This is payable by bank draft

Exchange Earned Abroad Program

This scheme provides for importation of vehicles used by Sri Lankans abroad returning after termination of foreign employment.

Vehicles NOT older than 05 years

Requirements

a. Proof of employment for a period not less than 03 years

and foreign earnings.

b. The motor car should be registered under the name of the

applicant and used by him/her for a period exceeding 1

year immediately prior to departure

c. Motor car should not be older than 05 yrs from the date

of first registration

d. Registration certificate with English translation

e. Photocopies of passport

License fee of 03% of the CIF value is payable

Vehicles between 05 years to 10 years

Requirements

a. Proof of employment for a period not less than 05 years

and foreign earnings.

b. The motor car should be registered under the name of the

applicant and used by him/her continuously for a period

exceeding 3 year immediately prior to departure

c. Motor car should not be older than 10 yrs from the date

of first registration

d. Registration certificate with English translation

e. Photocopies of passport

License fees

Age of Vehicle Percentage of fees

5-7 years 5

7-8 years 7

8-9 years 9

9-10 years 12

Special conditions

* Vehicle must be right hand drive

* Licensee should present him/herself with passport at the

time of clearance of vehicle. Violation of this condition

will result in cancellation of license and confiscation

of vehicle.

* Vehicle should be registered in the name of the licensee

and cannot be transferred for 3 years

* Importation under any of this scheme or gift scheme is

permitted once in 5 years only.

hmmm so basically if you can find a car which has been re exported to another country from the country of production and its been registered in this second country within the stipulated time period , there is a chance that it will be eligible for import to SL is it?

....so there is hope for another GTR34 to make it to lankan shores if a very late grey import were shipped in from é UK?? :o