• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda To Pay Almost $6mn For 'overclocked' Odometers!

Saturn

If you've been wondering how your Honda or Acura just seems to cover ground an awful lot quicker than your previous ride without even getting you a speeding ticket, listen up. Apparently, around six million Honda / Acura owners have been wheeling around in vehicles that are clicking off miles quite a bit faster than they're actually being driven.

The Society of Automotive Engineers' voluntary standard for fluctuation in an odometer "is plus or minus 4-percent," and strangely enough, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn't even regulate it. Honda claims that its units were "accurate to within 3.75-percent" on the high side, but a lawsuit against them claims that's just a bit too close for the average consumer's well-being.

The automaker will be shelling out over $6 million in overcharges for leasers who were unfairly penalized for exceeding the agreed upon mileage, and will also extend the warranty mileage five-percent. Of course, Honda has since tightened up its standards (read: fixed the programming bug), purportedly "aiming for zero" in regard to future error, but if you happen to own a Honda / Acura purchased between April of 2002 and November of last year (or a select '07 Honda Fit), these benefits should be coming your way pending a district court judgment on the settlement.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-0...eter-usat_x.htm

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holmes said that once the lawyers investigated, "It was always something like this: 'I used to drive a Mazda, and it was 342 miles to Grandma's. Now I have a Honda, and it's 352 miles.' "

Interesting, Odo shows up more miles than actual, so Honda's higher fuel consumption slogan is also questionable !!

good one!

but on a technical note, is how exactly does a mechinical odometer work??

as in i've noticed é cable with the rotating metal coil like thingy , but what causes it to spin? - is it linked so as to calculate axel rotation or how?

also in cars with no ECU how is speed calculated? air speed da? :huh:

wonder if its é same with HOnda's here né...

...n if its only é Odo shape - but wut if its 'speedo as well :D no wonder we've got so many "FAST" Honda's in SL :P

lol

<_< Dev?

Anyway the report states as below

Vehicles covered in the deal: 2002 to 2006 Hondas and Acuras bought from April 13, 2002, to Nov. 7, 2006. Some 2007 Honda Fits also are included.

he he he :D

but i'll tell u'll wut - i have a Pivot Speed Meter X with a built in derestrictor which will allow any JDM to get above 180kmph ( thats providing é car can actually break that barrier mechnically!)

- i'll sell u'll é unit n then we can test é accuracy oh honda speedo's :D

text for details :)

bath kolla getting pissed over a say that honda 's not so fast? lol jkz... i d say that your concern is justified is ya come for a drag wit me sprinter lol... what say dude?

@ DevZ - depends o how brainy the custom dudes are.. i got down a header via me pal porkster n they charged just a tender amount of 256 bucks for a 25k part.. though the amount varies depending on the type of goods.. if it is electronics then i guess it might be a bit higher.. from what i knw, there are custom duties taxing each and every item which could be brought down to SL.. unfortunately.. there aint no proper listing o these taxes..

Zz

Edited by neXGen

i wanna get down a crate engine - but unsure of how to go abt it....

ah NexGen - how did é "Maiintainance" work go é other day??? did u find all é parts u needed?

crate engine? engines gets taxed quite a bit i think..

wel.. the windshield and sump are all done.. the trannyz driving me mad dude.. Toyota Lanka didnt have it.. n visited a few other places too.. some places offer it only with the engine.. I am planning o goin to delkanda in a bit to check out the spare parts shops over there.. any ideas/contacts bro? cars practically done though.. only the gearbox.. :( ma plight lol..

Zz

i wanna get down a crate engine - but unsure of how to go abt it....

ah NexGen - how did é "Maiintainance" work go é other day??? did u find all é parts u needed?

For what perpose this be? Get a guy who has Paypal and ship it at lowered invoice to avoid huge taxes. Nexgen will have good experience on it

For what perpose this be? Get a guy who has Paypal and ship it at lowered invoice to avoid huge taxes. Nexgen will have good experience on it

me experience? nah lol.. but yes as Hola said.. undervaluing it would definitely be the easiest way o escaping a hefty tax..

Zz

bath kolla getting pissed over a say that honda 's not so fast? lol jkz... i d say that your concern is justified is ya come for a drag wit me sprinter lol... what say dude?

ado get ur tranny sorted b4 u challenge hola :lol:

bdw i also say that most honda's are slow :lol ... datz nothing to get pissed about ;)

@hola: nice to see u givin up on bit of ricin and finally considering turbo but i give u one tip... IF U WANT TO GO TURBO BUY A CAR THAT WAS MEANT TO GO TURBO ... i have been told by chang that "long term" engine block failures are inevitable if turbo your average honda... but running farily low boost can still help. Also hola ur car is ideal for turbo, Zackie told me that non-vtec D15 is better for Turbo than vtec one. i guess he spoke out of his experience in bombay drags. anyway good luck with ur turbo project... but think about the impact on ur tranny as well ;)

i also considered goin turbo this june-july but now i have decided against it and straight away go for an original turbo even if it means i have to hold back for sometime.

Zz

Bath Kolla? <_< Get your gear box replaced Mr.Marrot. And i dont do drags - sorry.

ado get ur tranny sorted b4 u challenge hola :lol:

bdw i also say that most honda's are slow :lol ... datz nothing to get pissed about ;)

@hola: nice to see u givin up on bit of ricin and finally considering turbo but i give u one tip... IF U WANT TO GO TURBO BUY A CAR THAT WAS MEANT TO GO TURBO ... i have been told by chang that "long term" engine block failures are inevitable if turbo your average honda... but running farily low boost can still help. Also hola ur car is ideal for turbo, Zackie told me that non-vtec D15 is better for Turbo than vtec one. i guess he spoke out of his experience in bombay drags. anyway good luck with ur turbo project... but think about the impact on ur tranny as well ;)

i also considered goin turbo this june-july but now i have decided against it and straight away go for an original turbo even if it means i have to hold back for sometime.

Ricing? :angry: ok... what the hell...yeah yeah.. I just dont want to look stock , thats it. I dont like these huge spoilers etc.

Anyway i dont have an intention on turbo converstion. Im just collecting funds for the DC sports ceramic header, and magna flow exausts sytem. And I will be complete in terms of engine modifications by then. As for preformance tuning i will definietly go to the agents with supervison of Porkster for that.

Bath Kolla? <_< Get your gear box replaced Mr.Marrot. And i dont do drags - sorry.

Ricing? :angry: ok... what the hell...yeah yeah.. I just dont want to look stock , thats it. I dont like these huge spoilers etc.

Anyway i dont have an intention on turbo converstion. Im just collecting funds for the DC sports ceramic header, and magna flow exausts sytem. And I will be complete in terms of engine modifications by then. As for preformance tuning i will definietly go to the agents with supervison of Porkster for that.

ado for tuning none goes like Tuned-iChips for a honda... :lol: i got 1km/L improvement even after dumping in the beat silencer... and i need not tell u about the high end roar i guess ;) ... only f*kin thin z non-cvt auto gear box holding back performance :(

ado for tuning none goes like Tuned-iChips for a honda... :lol: i got 1km/L improvement even after dumping in the beat silencer... and i need not tell u about the high end roar i guess ;) ... only f*kin thin z non-cvt auto gear box holding back performance :(

and the 'hot' air inatke you have which we need to work on

easy with the turbo chargers - enigine compression ratios change n puts a lot of stress on é pistons esp.

i dont see how viable it is to bother - cuz when it comes to let go of the car , unless ur selling to a fellow enthusiast - no ones gonna want whats essentially a family sedan with a aftermarket mod thats likely to have weaknes the internals drastically :(

Hola why not a X-Trail GT - é normal xtrail is unreliable at best , but é Gt is said to run a nifty turbo set up which lets it push out abt 250BHP

also has ultra light 6 spoke manganese-magnesium or wut ever alloys in a semi gloss finish

Hola why not a X-Trail GT - é normal xtrail is unreliable at best , but é Gt is said to run a nifty turbo set up which lets it push out abt 250BHP

really? :blink:

bdw i saw in AL a year ago or so that the GT had gone chaper than the normal model... i guess the reason is bad fuel econo. of the GT

typical sri lankan way of looking at it.....performance always takes a back seat to the ignorant non enthusiast masses...

...ung mona reddakata GT ekek gath tha da dannä!!! :( all these ppl care abt is he "grade" né - SE da , Super Saloon da , G limited da...

:rolleyes:

~sigh~

i concede on that one... but u saw that ma battery location prevents k&N being taken any further :( ... but that has nothing to do wit da tuning... imagine if i can take K&N bit further :P

like i said lets drag your battery to the rear and extend the K&N upto that point where the battery was. Not that simple-but good if we tried

easy with the turbo chargers - enigine compression ratios change n puts a lot of stress on é pistons esp.

i dont see how viable it is to bother - cuz when it comes to let go of the car , unless ur selling to a fellow enthusiast - no ones gonna want whats essentially a family sedan with a aftermarket mod thats likely to have weaknes the internals drastically :(

also has ultra light 6 spoke manganese-magnesium or wut ever alloys in a semi gloss finish

Xtrails are all 3mil upwards-Good ones

typical sri lankan way of looking at it.....performance always takes a back seat to the ignorant non enthusiast masses...

...ung mona reddakata GT ekek gath tha da dannä!!! :( all these ppl care abt is he "grade" né - SE da , Super Saloon da , G limited da...

:rolleyes:

~sigh~

Funny you mentioned it as i was just talking to a friend on it.

Earlier days people didnt know these versions. Like GT,RS,25th Anniversery model etc. They didnt know what this means, now with sites like AL, auto magazines etc people know how special these are.