• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suvs Or Cars - Which Is Safer?

Duncan

Hi everyone

There is this global notion that SUVs are much safer than cars. So "responsible" husbands/fathers are buying SUVs for their families to run around in. Apparantly this is one of the reasons for the increased popularity in these gas guzzeling over sized 4wd station wagons.

Well in my opinion, size does not necessarily equate to safety!

Infact, testing has shown that cars can be much safer. Due to their lower centre of gravity a car has better chances of surviving a sudden manuver than a SUV. Upon impact, a car has alsmot the same safety impact absorbing crumple zones and other design features as any other passenger vehicle on the road.

On the other hand, SUVs can be dangerous to other vehicles (Cars in particular) on the road, especially during a head on collusion.

Cheers

i most certainly agree with you, cars definitely have an upper edge in "Active Safety" (which should matter more) coz of obvious reasons like lower center of gravity. I reckon even when it comes to "Passive Safety" cars should cause overall less damage than SUV - But i am not sure abut that.

anyway most small SUVs nowdays share the platform with the passenger car. :D

Cars could be considred safer as alot mid sized SUVs are not stable. Will do some reserch and post some articles about it

i have heard many cases of SUVs capsizing and causing death... when u proportionately look at the number of cars and SUVs and considering that cars are more likely to be driven faster (especially around corners) i reckon cars hold a definite advantage over SUVs on "Active Safety" ;)

i have heard many cases of SUVs capsizing and causing death... when u proportionately look at the number of cars and SUVs and considering that cars are more likely to be driven faster (especially around corners) i reckon cars hold a definite advantage over SUVs on "Active Safety" ;)

Hey , just like you demotivated me in buying the beat are going to demotivate for the HRV? :D

Hey , just like you demotivated me in buying the beat are going to demotivate for the HRV? :D

hmmm... HRV ... lotz ppl talk about it nowdays... but being all that conservative in ur drivin the HRV should not pose any safety hazard for ya :P /jk

go ahead my friend HRV is cool...

hmmm... HRV ... lotz ppl talk about it nowdays... but being all that conservative in ur drivin the HRV should not pose any safety hazard for ya :P /jk

go ahead my friend HRV is cool...

Its a manual tranny. Actulay a HRV is a wagon with big wheels unlike CRV which has more height between head space and leg area. So it is a stable SUV.

Its a manual tranny. Actulay a HRV is a wagon with big wheels unlike CRV which has more height between head space and leg area. So it is a stable SUV.

i say go for it then buddy... itz got more charisma too... need i say the added fun of the manual gear box :alc:

its the ride hight n é resultant high centre of gravity tht is a SUV's undoing! :(

but i'd still feel safer in an SUV knowing that very little else will go over u or through u , unlike in a car

its very old fashioned but there's nothing quite like knwing theres a load of very thick steel between u n wut evers outside - crumple zone - i think NOT! :D

but odly enough its MPV's that stack up é best in collitions - em French n sweeds have this safety stuff covered! :lol:

SUV vs. MPV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEBC9PbjPv4

SUV vs. CAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMsDnEkYxu4

prius vs prado

makes u wanna go n buy an old Merc!!

FAW (repeat)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWy_fASSiQ

Just got a related question.. now lets say A is a car which is built using heavy durable metal and B is a car which is built using considerably lighter metal which is far stronger than the metal in A.. now just say that both crashes head on.. which vehicle would survive the impact? the vehicle having the greatest mass or would it be the vehicle with the greatest metallic strength?

agree wit devinda bout the car making ya feel small.. with these bus drivers especially goin around like rednecks and we sitting quite low in comparison to them.. the tendency for imagination to run amok thinking that the wheel o the buses would easily crumple the car etc. is quite common... bah.. wish I could a bloody Hummer n teach those morons a lesson they deserve..

Zz

Just got a related question.. now lets say A is a car which is built using heavy durable metal and B is a car which is built using considerably lighter metal which is far stronger than the metal in A.. now just say that both crashes head on.. which vehicle would survive the impact? the vehicle having the greatest mass or would it be the vehicle with the greatest metallic strength?

agree wit devinda bout the car making ya feel small.. with these bus drivers especially goin around like rednecks and we sitting quite low in comparison to them.. the tendency for imagination to run amok thinking that the wheel o the buses would easily crumple the car etc. is quite common... bah.. wish I could a bloody Hummer n teach those morons a lesson they deserve..

Zz

hmmm i guess we need a car crash expert or someone who know a bit of physics to go abt figuring tht out...but i'm guessing its gotta do with car can dispurse the energy transfered in the crash safely troughout é structure without allowing the cabin to collapse n there by keep the occupants safe...

as for é bus thing there is a very siple solution - BUY A DEFENDER !!!! :D

....belive me its more effective than a hummer! - afterall , i can tell u through personal experience than NO sri lankan,bus driver or otherwise is stupid enough to mess with a defender - if they arent put off by é sheer mass of é thing , they will get outta ur way for the fear of having an MP5 or T56 spray them with bullets or run them off é road! - & é M.S.D said they'd do it on TV so cant say they werent warned!!!! :lol:

yup.. that part i do understand dude.. even in F1 cars the driver compartment is created in such a manner than the force is distributed evenly in the structure so that no single point would be concentrated on impact.. but just to make things interesting.. lets say both the vehicles are having the same structure.. what would it be then?

cuz I have a feeling that mass plays a bigger role as more energy is required to push more mass and stop it too.. so on a head on collision though the other vehicle being of a more stronger metal.. chances r it would get squashed by the higher density of the other vehicle.. complicated! lol

since am a complete n00b with it comes to jeeps.. could the landrover be submerged in water for a period of time? i take that there is airhose extending upwards from the intake manifold which allows the landrover to allow take in air above the body yeah? but coming to landrovers.. these MSD s are scrwing everybody up.. it was last week i think.. just peddlin me bike and all of a sudden from nowhere those bastards crosses the one-way lane (duplication road) onto queens lane without even stopping to ensure that no vehicles coming.. plenty o vehicles screeched to a halt..

Zz

hmmm i guess we need a car crash expert or someone who know a bit of physics to go abt figuring tht out...but i'm guessing its gotta do with car can dispurse the energy transfered in the crash safely troughout é structure without allowing the cabin to collapse n there by keep the occupants safe...

as for é bus thing there is a very siple solution - BUY A DEFENDER !!!! :D

....belive me its more effective than a hummer! - afterall , i can tell u through personal experience than NO sri lankan,bus driver or otherwise is stupid enough to mess with a defender - if they arent put off by é sheer mass of é thing , they will get outta ur way for the fear of having an MP5 or T56 spray them with bullets or run them off é road! - & é M.S.D said they'd do it on TV so cant say they werent warned!!!! :lol:

Speaking about Defenders...How much is a b new one now Devinda?

since am a complete n00b with it comes to jeeps.. could the landrover be submerged in water for a period of time? i take that there is airhose extending upwards from the intake manifold which allows the landrover to allow take in air above the body yeah?

there have been pleanty of Land Rovers that habe gone in the water!

Basic mods r as u rightly mentioned a SNORKLE which allows the engine to breath by raising the intake point to a level higher than é water

also a another pipe will be connected to é EXHUAST pipe & attached to the roof which will ensure é gas fumes r expelled

Land Rovers have terrible seals so water poors in - so on its own a NORMAL land rover can NOT Float!! - so its simple mod thats used is to run a big rubber ballon around é jeep - which sorts the buoyancy issue

using a "power take off" directly from é enigine via é main prop shaft a properllar can be run

a full tak down on such a basic Amphibious Landy was in an LAND ROVER OWNER INTERNATIONAL Mag- but i cant find é article

but there are many different amphibious versions - & even Land ROvers that have run on TANK TRACKS!!!! (used for arctic exploration)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highla...nds/5210222.stm

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~lloyd/4/Lan.../Military/Swim/

http://www.lr-mad.co.uk/amphib.html

interesting stuf devz... came to ma mind is a Toyota Hiace Pickup truck which was tested to the extremes o top gear.. they took it down a staircase, pushed it into the sea etc.. and it survived.. i d supposed that could be considered an ideal solution too for rough riding like the landrovers..

if ya are wondering where i found the clip it was on youtube.. will try and post it once i get the chance to explore youtube a bit..

Zz

pardon me called it a Hiace lol.. Hilux it is.. now dats some pretty tough and extremely reliable build quality man... i loved the part where they carried the truck over to a tall building which is to be demolished and then boom.. guess what.. the bloody thing stil works.. tranny, motor etc. in working condition..

didnt see the clip of that boat thingy though.. any linkop?/

Zz

http://www.tv.com/top-gear/series-8-episod...22/summary.html

the video was avialable until very recently but it has since been removed by BBC off youtube cuz of a copy right infringement! :(

http://www.topgear.com/content/timetoburn/.../tg_preview/14/

http://www.mininova.org/tor/348809

Edited by Devinda_Z